Whats ur short story about? (1 Viewer)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
It is still tenable to write an original story within genre, even within the Gothic genre, which has been greatly abused, stereotyped or otherwise misrepresented. I think that the seeds of the Gothic genre have great potential; and that Gothic it is a genre in need of a new representation and a breath of fresh air. Horror and the Gothic genre are also related to the Speculative Fiction genre. A little bit of research into this may give you some more ideas.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I thought that the "Gothic" movement in literature emerged around the 18-19th centuries, but I am not sure. Nonetheless, "Gothic" is also an architectural style (e.g the Romanesque arch style). I think it is more than a derivation of horror. It may employ elements of horror, but it is an artistic movement unto itself.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
are there any kind of storylines we should steer clear of? ones that dont get marked well or whatever?

veridis

droog
HSC
at least angsty stories are better than angsty poetry. damn i've read some shocking teen angst poetry

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
so i should obviously stay away from that then.. is there anything else?

thanks guys :)

veridis

droog
HSC
just do an issue that you actualy believe in or have a strong opinion of. then you can delve deeper into it and make the story more complex and thus less cliched. almost every topic has cliches that if you're too close to will lose you marks. try not to be too influenced by one or two people unless they're way different. forge your own style

edit - and make sure your spelling is better than mine

Last edited:

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i jus feel that what i feel strongly about it too cliched thats all.. so im having a bit of trouble deciding what to do

veridis

droog
HSC
cliche aint all that bad. you can use it to not have to concentrate much on the basics of your concept/plot and develop a smaller part thats usualy overlooked in more depth. much like the use of stereotypes to reduce the need for in depth description

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
oh its all so confusing.. i need a set idea by next Monday.. fat chance of that happening

veridis

droog
HSC
for proposal yes?
you just need to appear to have a set idea. i wrote mine and sounded so definite when realy i was just making half of it up then and most of it will be cut. remember its a work in progress always under review its meant to change so they wont notice if your proposal is way different to the final product

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
yeah its for my proposal... my ideas change every 5 mintues..i cant even catch up lol.
im no good with interviews either...
but u think i could use something a little cliched and it wouldnt lose marks for it?

HSC
hey y'all, i'm new...my class got our proposals back today (thank god THAT's over) We were all stressing about getting a final idea but i think pretty much ALL of us came up with it the day before, and no doubt that pretty much ALL of us will probably change next term...or that might be just me...Anyways, cliches are ok, i guess basically anything can be classified as cliche now coz of the whole post-modernist-nothing-is-original-blah-blah. But what would be even better is if you shed light on an alternative insight of that cliche, say something additional, without sounding cliche - 'make it your own'. Something done to death told well or in a slightly different way (options in doing this are endless!) would be all good. Start with cliche if it suits, then u have something to build on or reconstruct as u go coz it'll keep developing (oh god, sounding like my teacher here...gah!) So yah... roger that :cool:

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i just handed in my proposal today.. second person to do so.. >_<"

my idea is sort of cliched.. but i structured it differently and in .. a ... more.. CREATIVE! way :D

oh well.. off to study for my assessments

illodous

Angels...
HSC
I'm doing perhaps a cliche.. an ancient Persian/Moroccan/Middle-Eastern desert setting incorporating American Indian, Buddhist and Kabbalistic prinicples and ideas.
So basically the society of a near-picaresque land of barter, virgin earth, trade and mercenaries. Your typical fantasy story - with subversions to the typical specualtive fiction genre.

But, I'm not telling what :p

nyeh nyeh!

-Matt

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
ive changed my initial idea... argh its so confusing.. new ideas pop up all the time... i duno wat one to go with!!!! i doubt my story will be very good...

Insouciance

HSC
My EE2 teachers assigned the proposal before school ended, so we don't get it back until February, which is just plain cruel. Or not. Mine wasn't very articulate.

I was going to do something about breaking the 'damsel in distress' cliche and placing it in an 'ambiguous Australian context' (I know), but I've promptly lost interest. :vcross:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)