mirakon

nigga
HSC
am about to get 1st car. wat do u recommend? must be under $25000

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
suggest you create a new thread and put up some requirements/intended use (e.g. school, uni, carrying friends, shopping, sitting in traffic, sporty, etc)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Mazda 3 or the new Imprezza hatches. I think they're both around the 25k mark.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Oh yeah, both of those are nice, especially the Liberty.

Like seremify said, it really comes down to what you specifically want.

vikraman

HSC
FPV GT 2003 or 2004. Billions of spare parts, every hick mechanic knows how to fix it so maintenance is a easy and cheap. Well-built and reliable, 4 door 5 seats. Nice fat boot, 290kW. 15.1l/100km combined. Look for one that's been well maintained and serviced on time and on schedule. When you're buying it, bring along your own mechanic or have the car taken to a mechanic for an inspection make sure the guy checks the brakes, suspension and tires. Good luck mate.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
thanks for the recommendations people! btw my m8s say a lancer is pretty good too. ur opinions?

vikraman

HSC
thanks for the recommendations people! btw my m8s say a lancer is pretty good too. ur opinions?
The turbos they stick in lancer evos from 5 or 6 years ago (two generations ago) which will be in the kind of range you could get it for <25k$ are finicky and somewhat less reliable especially in the summer. Otherwise, it's a wonderful car and one of my all time favourites. (I'm just a sucker for off-roading in general, be it rally, motor-X or kitted our VW Touaregs doing the Paris-Dakar.

muzlak

HSC
25000? That's a fairly big budget for a first car.

For that money, I'd recommend a Ford Fairmont Ghia (BF MKII)

Pics:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3248/bfiifairmontghiaseduce.jpg
http://www.nextcar.com.au/i.ford.falcon.BFII.fairmont.ghia.i.06aug.jpg

In the end, different cars suit different requirements (and you haven't stated yours), but this is probably able to fit the needs of most. It comes with a torquey I6 with plenty of low down urge (which Commodores unfortunately lack). The motor's very reliable, and due to its ubiquity, every mechanic will have the ability to work on it. The ride and handling are widely recognised as being pretty great. The steering will (thankfully) provide plenty of feedback (it isn't plagued by the over-assisted tiller from hell that affects many a car). It also comes with the widely acclaimed, smooth ZF Friedrichshafen automatic transmission, increasing acceleration and decreasing fuel consumption.

You also get space for you and your mates (it can seat five adults comfortably, something which cannot be said about the current Falcon), comfort (the interior has quite an upmarket appearance, more so than quite a few BMW offerings), and stellar dual-zone air conditioning (essential in Australia, better than the majority of imports this side of a Bentley, and again, something which cannot be said about the current Falcon).

Last edited:

muzlak

HSC
FPV GT 2003 or 2004. Billions of spare parts, every hick mechanic knows how to fix it so maintenance is a easy and cheap. Well-built and reliable, 4 door 5 seats. Nice fat boot, 290kW. 15.1l/100km combined. Look for one that's been well maintained and serviced on time and on schedule. When you're buying it, bring along your own mechanic or have the car taken to a mechanic for an inspection make sure the guy checks the brakes, suspension and tires. Good luck mate.
This is an excellent car, but power/cylinder restrictions prevent it from being driven legally on P plates.

vikraman

HSC
This is an excellent car, but power/cylinder restrictions prevent it from being driven legally on P plates.
In NSW. You can drive anything you want in the ACT. Also, if he can spend 25k$ on a car, I greatly doubt he's still on P's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)