What's your job and how much you earn? (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
job: waitress
wage: 15.40/h + tips

pretty good job, i love the people i work with.

Collin

HSC
N/A
mishka said:
Job: Records Management Customer Service (I started as a data entry chick on $13.69)
Rate: $20.24 (EBA Senior Level 2, and will continue next year when I'm back at uni doing my regular 10 hours - currently doing full time 11-7pm)

Previous: Kmart (started on $8.12 and went up to $11 or something)
Applied for a job at Australian Geographic, got a Christmas casual but declined (pay rate $14.70) because that's when I was offered the $20.24 ;)
MIIIIIIIIIshhhhhhhhhhhhkaaaaaa!

natstar said:
Is it true that if you earn under X amount per week you dont pay tax on it? Becuase once I only worked 1 shift and got paid about 35 bucks for the week and no tax came out of it..
I'm not too sure, but I don't think that the suggested prospect of getting no tax on a weekly basis should matter too much anyway, since it's all about how much you get taxed per financial period as a whole. I.e even though you go taxed scraps one week, the income itself still contributes to your total annual income, and hence taxes (unless you're under 6k/yr of course).

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Hey, I'm paying like a quarter in tax atm. Shall get a 'phat' return though!!
what ??? really???...plz explain.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
ok so i earn 42k a yr...what does this mean?..i am new to this employment thing and this is my first job so yeah.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Hey, I'm paying like a quarter in tax atm. Shall get a 'phat' return though!!
if you earn that amount throughout the year, then you will pay a quarter of it in tax. but like most uni students it is probably due to extra shifts in the uni holidays, and will expect your pay to normalise/reduce in the coming months. come end of june, they will see how much you earnt. then how much tax you should have paid. in your cases, i would say you would have overpaid, and would get a 'phat' return. ;)

it happened to me. i worked a fair amount(compared to just weekends) in uni holidays, sometimes paying about $250 in tax per pay. and i got a bit back when the tax return came around.

natstar said:
Is it true that if you earn under X amount per week you dont pay tax on it? Becuase once I only worked 1 shift and got paid about 35 bucks for the week and no tax came out of it..
as far as i am aware, they calculate the tax you pay per fortnight, as though that is how much you earn every fortnight for the entire year.

so if you were paid $35 for the fortnight/week, then they assume you get paid that amount every fortnight/week. if that was to happen, you would fall safely under the tax-free threshold, hence wouldnt pay any tax for that fornight/week.
zahid said:
i just cheked my pay slip, I get paid $637 per week but get taxed $187 and am 18yrs old. NOT FAIR
not fair?
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/12333.htm&mnu=5053&mfp=001
your expected income for the year: $33 124 42000

tax paid for that income;
$0 – $6,000: $0
$6,001 – $21,600: $2 339.85
$21,601 – $63,000: $2 340 + $3 459.9 $2 340 + $6 467.7
tax to be paid on your expected income: $8 136.75 $11 147.55

tax/week: $156.48 + levy(s) $214.38

so it seems rather reasonable. if you are that worried about paying tax, you may want to look up options of making a larger super contribution yourself and reduce your taxable income, but i am not too sure how that works.

and plus, $500pw for an 18yr old just out of school is awesome. so be happy with it! haven't got the exact figure, but i am certain, it is well above the average income level. 42k pa is awesome...dont know what you could possibly complain about

edit: read your last post and made some adjustments in bold

Last edited:

gna

HSC
zahid said:
ok so i earn 42k a yr...what does this mean?..i am new to this employment thing and this is my first job so yeah.
if u earn 637 a week that doesnt work out to be 42k a year....

i get 700 a week n earn 35k a yr....

ediisjoz

HSC
Workage

I'm a Dental Assistant for my dad. i get paid $100 a day. work 4 days a week... haha.. it's fun though.. his other nurse is tops and we get to pay him out.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
gna said:
if u earn 637 a week that doesnt work out to be 42k a year....

i get 700 a week n earn 35k a yr....
I get super contribution and a whole lot of other shit and the total pkage in 42 buddy. thats what the cunts told me.

L

LaraB

i'm 19, just finished 1st year uni - got a Job for the summer at Legal Aid NSW Criminal Appeals Division

7 hrs a day - flexitime so i can start from like..7am i'm insane lol til 10am which means i can finish early on fridays which is awesome

pays $800 a week which works out to be around $23 an hour - its awesome coz apparently its shit easy work but really interesting :)

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
i'm 17 and i got a casual acting job, which pays $45 an hour.. its dumb though coz i could be getting heaps of opportunities at once, or don't get any for heaps of months.
i also work at our restaurant, and get about $17p/h
sometimes i do music gigs and get paid $350 for 3 hours

but at the moment.. all i'm really doing is working at the restaurant for 4 hours every fortnight

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
Im just 18 on 23bucks an hour rate, on sundays its 46 and public holidays 69
if you work it out its a minimum of 84k negative tax a year but only seasonal work so do try to do it about 6 weeks a year.
Mind you it sounds good but try 40+ degree days standing in the sun for 10 hours unloading itchy grain trucks... real fun

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
liquimalish said:
Im just 18 on 23bucks an hour rate, on sundays its 46 and public holidays 69
if you work it out its a minimum of 84k negative tax a year but only seasonal work so do try to do it about 6 weeks a year.
Mind you it sounds good but try 40+ degree days standing in the sun for 10 hours unloading itchy grain trucks... real fun

you made your job sound soo good and crashed it all with the last line. lol...what company anyway?

i just got a job yesterday, on top of my useless avon job, as a waitperson at a newly opening noodle bar/restaurant at wespoint blacktown, oposite hoyts. pretty ok, but the pay is pretty crap....8 bucks an hour. oh well, i gotta start somewhere.

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
I work at graincorp in the bunkers, but others companies that pay around the same are coprice, vicgrain etc grain (wheat/barley/oats) joints either way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)