When calculating eq. constant... (1 Viewer)

dRscarf

HSC
When you calculate the equilibrium constant (K), do you need to put in units? Some people around me are saying yes and others no... so I'm pretty confused.

danz90

HSC
The equilibrium constant is only measuring the extent to which the forward reaction is occuring/favoured at particular conditions.
If conditions such as pressure and temperature of the reaction are given, make sure you answer in this format:

Kc = __ at T°C and ___kPa or ___atm

For calculating, just sub in the equilibrium concentrations of the products and reactants into the equilibrium expression. Always round off to the lowest significant figure present in the question.

henry08

HSC
N/A
The syllabus dotpoint specifically states that no units are needed for equilibrium constant.

danz90

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: When calculating eq. constant...

There's no units for equilibrium constant... its just a figure that shows the extent to which the forward reaction in an equilibrium reaction is favoured, at a particular temperature.

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
still on the same topic....iv seen many calculations in books where they don't seem to involve any solids or liquids in the K expression.....are they wrong. i thought it was plainly [products]/[reactants] no exceptions.?

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
Umm, I think it's only aqueous and gas.
thanks...i think thats what it is....can someone clarify this?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
It's correct, I think. I've never dealt with a K questions that have solid in it, to my ignorance, I suppose.

But revising what we need to do, I can prove it.

What we need to calculate K are the []s of chemicals involved. These can only be applied to aqueous solutions or gases only, right? Have you ever had a concentration of any solids? This is because the 'concentration' of a solid is preserved all the time. Taking a crystal of salt as an example. The number of molecules of NaCl/ the volume that crystal occupies = constant, yeah? Because even if adding more salt into an already concentrated solution, the extra settles to the bottom, joining the solid particles. And since the density of solid salt is the same at certain temperature and pressure, 'the concentration' is also the same. The more salt you add, the larger volume it occupies with the more molecules in there.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Undermyskin said:
It's correct, I think. I've never dealt with a K questions that have solid in it, to my ignorance, I suppose.

What we need to calculate K are the []s of chemicals involved. These can only be applied to aqueous solutions or gases only, right? Have you ever had a concentration of any solids? This is because the 'concentration' of a solid is preserved all the time. Taking a crystal of salt as an example. The number of molecules of NaCl/ the volume that crystal occupies = constant, yeah? Because even if adding more salt into an already concentrated solution, the extra settles to the bottom, joining the solid particles. And since the density of solid salt is the same at certain temperature and pressure, 'the concentration' is also the same. The more salt you add, the larger volume it occupies with the more molecules in there.
2007 Industrial chemistry section. There was solid in the equilibrium. You just have to ignore it in the equilibrium expression.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: When calculating eq. constant...

Solids are ignored, along with pure liquids (l)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: When calculating eq. constant...

tommykins said:
Solids are ignored, along with pure liquids (l)
...because they have extremely high concentration which would make your K useless, if you included it.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: When calculating eq. constant...

Trebla said:
...because they have extremely high concentration which would make your K useless, if you included it.
yeah i cbf'd writing out the reasoning. lol.

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
Undermyskin said:

Yea that makes sense.... thanks everyone

Almatari

HSC
N/A
Units depends on the K expression

units for [] is mol/L
but if it is []^2, then the units are squared as well (mol/L)^2
and so on.......

chuboy

HSC
Units depends on the K expression

units for [] is mol/L
but if it is []^2, then the units are squared as well (mol/L)^2
and so on.......
No, fail.

The K value is the ratio of products to reactants in an equilibrium system. OBVIOUSLY NO UNITS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)