When you come across a word you don't know, do you look up its meaning? (1 Viewer)

LiKe A FiSh

HSC
N/A
its never come up........lol....
Nah if it does i ask my dad.....but the last time i remember doing that was when i was 6, reading enid blyton, and didnt know what a "snapdragon" was

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Normally i would look up the definition. Even if i hear a word on tv that i'm unsure of it's meaning, i'd look it up. The dictionary is in a very accessible place. yes i do have a life

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I have a dictionary by my side now. If I don't use a dictionary I usually ask my mother.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Hey Loz I thought you were leaving?
I came back for a few days because I need some love :( V-day is just depressing.

No actually, I just wanted to see if everyone had decided their future yet and hear what people were doing.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by ahohen_77
id usually underline it or highlight it..then look it up later
You graffiti your book? I can't stand to do that to something I have payed good money for:).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if you look up the meaning of a word you don't know when reading a book? I quite frequently come across words I don't recognise in books and sometimes I stop to look them up and sometimes I don't. I find that it makes it less enjoyable and makes the book drag on if I do:(. So what do you do:)?
i pretend i know what they mean and skip them, in the mean time not understanding an important aspect of the book! but it takes too long to look them up as you said. sometimes i ask someone who knows and who is near me.

token girl

HSC
I usually skip them...try and work it out

with the pronunciation thing - because I read so much I mostly learn new words by reading them instead of hearing them, so when I try say them or explain it to someone else I never know how to pronounce them properly...so embarrassing!

Cally

if i'm reading a book and there's a word in a sentence that i have no clue what so ever of what it means, then i'll look it up and try to understand the meaning of it in it's context.

Plus, looking up words you don't understand improves your vocabulary....well it does for me.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
yes look it up

does anyone here like Irini Savvides?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)