Where does all the pressure come from?? (1 Viewer)

Where does all the pressure come from??

• Total voters

pc4pc

HSC
pressure from the principal. i find that hilarious.

but still i find the pressure of not getting into university for MYSELF enough. and that's motivating eheheh

Last edited:

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
I put pressure on myself, because i've always anticipated on getting 95+.
And beacause of that, ze paretns talk me up to all our family friends and relatives..
[esp the asian relatives, even though thye're ABC's, they still have those YOU-MUST-DO-WELL attitudes to an extent..]
So i MUST get 95+, because i can just imagine the people asking me/myparents what i got and them being like 'oh, She got 90'
now 90 isnt bad, but when you look at it in the context of the expectations i've grown up with..
its horrible!
Whats worse, is that im continually asked what i want to do when i get older...
And it got to the point where, whenever i'd be like 'oh, im not sure..'
i'd get a 20minute lecture about how i really need to have more direction. So eventually i came upon the 'i want to do law' idea...
BAD MOVE! seeing that law is 99.55...
Now everyone just thinks that im planning to get 99+.
SO its more like... i put pressure on myself because of the expectations people haveon me that i wish to fufil..
if i had told my parents i wanted to do arts or somethng with a UAI of 80, then i'd still be obligated to get 80...
The exterior pressure is more concerned iwth holding me to the goals ive set for myself...

DAMN I WISH I HAD SAID I WANTED TO DO TAFE!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Deep breaths nichhole.

Just do whatever makes you happy and strive for what you want. After it is you that is going to be having to do the course and then the career path you choose so you should be happy with it.

Parents can hold their 'expectations' (mine didn't and have left it up to me to decide my own future no pressure what so ever from them) but in the end after everything is said in done you are going to have to do the career for the rest of your working life so you need to be happy with it. They can push you into some direction but at the end of the day you won't really be happy so it's better that you show them something that you are really passionate about and they will come around in time. :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
nichhhole said:
I put pressure on myself, because i've always anticipated on getting 95+.
And beacause of that, ze paretns talk me up to all our family friends and relatives..
[esp the asian relatives, even though thye're ABC's, they still have those YOU-MUST-DO-WELL attitudes to an extent..]
So i MUST get 95+, because i can just imagine the people asking me/myparents what i got and them being like 'oh, She got 90'
now 90 isnt bad, but when you look at it in the context of the expectations i've grown up with..
its horrible!
Whats worse, is that im continually asked what i want to do when i get older...
And it got to the point where, whenever i'd be like 'oh, im not sure..'
i'd get a 20minute lecture about how i really need to have more direction. So eventually i came upon the 'i want to do law' idea...
BAD MOVE! seeing that law is 99.55...
Now everyone just thinks that im planning to get 99+.
SO its more like... i put pressure on myself because of the expectations people haveon me that i wish to fufil..
if i had told my parents i wanted to do arts or somethng with a UAI of 80, then i'd still be obligated to get 80...
The exterior pressure is more concerned iwth holding me to the goals ive set for myself...

DAMN I WISH I HAD SAID I WANTED TO DO TAFE!
No worries, you'll win the HSC :uhhuh:

nichhhole

HSC
webby234 said:
I had that problem - I set my target a bit too high perhaps - 98.8 for advanced maths (although I did know that 96.4 would effectively get me into the same course). Oh and I also had the problem of my deputy principal - when I said I was aiming for 98 she thought that was too low for me and I should be aiming for at least 99. So when I got my UAI (98.6) it was nothing special - just what was expected anyway. There's even the idea that I underachieved - for example when my Maths teacher found out I got 97 for accelerated 2U he admitted he had actually been expecting higher.

Oh well - I guess that's what I get for enjoying year 12 and doing things like Cosmology rather than being an absolute study freak. And I got what I needed in the end, so it's all good. A couple of months after your HSC, if you get into what you want, no one will care what mark you got anyway.

:) 97 is still an amazing feat...
But i know what you mean about teachers..
AND i WISH i were able to have done a distinction course, NAMELY PHILOSOPHY..
but nooo..
no such thing as acceleration in our 'college'.
sigh!
[i shant complain here, i've already devoted a thread to it:)]

But you're happy right?
ps. being complacent about my UAI, no matter how high it is, is exactly how i predict myself to be... [ie 99 + would make me estatic.. everything else would lead to apathy?... what has my life come to...
we were talking about Anna nicole smith today... and about whether she was actually happy.
I dont think she was happy, but i do think that she achieved what she set out to get- Money...
i see 091283-1293012 parallels between herself and i...[minus the looks,blonde hair and big boobs.]
i wont be happy until i achieve my goals, and i know such goals are purely superficial... and wont bring me 'happiness', but yet i also know that unless i achieve these 'goals', i could never be happy. Unsatisfied life and such!!

ahh woe is me ..
two roads diverged in a yellow wood and i....

I TOOK THE ONE AND BURNT THE BLOODY STIMULUS BOOKLET.
[ps. they;re getting rid of the journeys thing for next years syllabus!
bah!]

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Webby's post is the perfect example of where the pressure\expectations can come from.

nichhhole

HSC
nichhhole said:
ALL HAIL WEBBY!:wave:

ahhh..
my posts remind me of this kid from public speaking comp. He spent 6 minutes discussing how he felt pressured, how he refuses to live up to the expectations of those around him [ie, wont go to uni.. wont call when his gf asks..etc..], and how, contrary to the beliefs of everyone in the room, he would be successful in this round of debating [first round..], and would go on through the other 4 rounds and eventually win the whole competition.
All this was said In HiS FuLlY SiCK accent..

Nichole's response : :confused: :eek:

So here are my apologies for upping the teenage angst..
:)

Robbeh

HSC
Screw it, more to Year 12 then HSC. Surely?!

Got to give love to the students who are in their final year and are continuing extracurricular activities (cadets, debaters, sportsmen/women). Personally, I have great sympathy for those who row in summer and play union in winter (I am from a GPS school).

Pressured? Got to get a valve and chill out once in a while.

nichhhole

HSC
:jedi:
Robbeh said:
Screw it, more to Year 12 then HSC. Surely?!

Got to give love to the students who are in their final year and are continuing extracurricular activities (cadets, debaters, sportsmen/women). Personally, I have great sympathy for those who row in summer and play union in winter (I am from a GPS school).

Pressured? Got to get a valve and chill out once in a while.

Yes yes, we see way too many people go white duringthe HSC.
I'm Withrobbeh, page 87 of my 'Excel study guide' states that students gain on average 6kgs during their HSC year..

Sympathy?... more so respect?
it's good that sat sport comps compel kids to get out and play sport...
it's needed for balance...

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
nichhhole said:
ALL HAIL WEBBY!:wave:
If my name was hi-i'm-awesome-and-live-on-an-island-webster then i would sig this :eek:

ALL HAIL WEBBY! :wave: (notice the space, it's like myspace is avant-garde)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
nichhhole said:
:jedi:

Yes yes, we see way too many people go white duringthe HSC.
I'm Withrobbeh, page 87 of my 'Excel study guide' states that students gain on average 6kgs during their HSC year..
True. Although, i lost it all in a month after my HSC loalz.

Li Lin Chin

Banned
HSC
It come from my friend Phuang who is so funny he says funny thing like I am dumb and it so funny it makes me try hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)