where to from here?!?! (1 Viewer)

Showpony Stuart

HSC
argh i got a decent uai (78.7 [probably better then i deserved given the work i put in]) but now i am stuck where to go from here

I cant decide between architecture, naval architecture, or some branch of engineering. Im pretty sure there is a lot more work and money in engineering, but i think i would enjoy architecture more

Wisdom anyone?? :eek: :eek:

peace

adnan91

HSC
Showpony Stuart said:
argh i got a decent uai (78.7 [probably better then i deserved given the work i put in]) but now i am stuck where to go from here

I cant decide between architecture, naval architecture, or some branch of engineering. Im pretty sure there is a lot more work and money in engineering, but i think i would enjoy architecture more

Wisdom anyone?? :eek: :eek:

peace
exaclty which uni is this?

Showpony Stuart

HSC
Newcastle Uni most likely, except naval architecture which in the uni in launceston.

I have 8 bonus marks so i think ive got enough for the options im considering

adnan91

HSC
Showpony Stuart said:
Newcastle Uni most likely, except naval architecture which in the uni in launceston.

I have 8 bonus marks so i think ive got enough for the options im considering
ah i see, im kinda in the same situation but UNSW for me. Either civil eng/commerce/science/architecture so basically i have no idea. Look at there handbooks and course structure it lets u see what ur actually gonna do so thats my 2c gl

Showpony Stuart

HSC
ild love to do my course at UNSW, but
1) Dont think my uai is adequate
and 2) i dont think i could afford the cost of living in sydney

yeah even after looking through all the stuff im just less decided lol

ive always been bad a making life changing decisions :p :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Showpony Stuart said:
ild love to do my course at UNSW, but
1) Dont think my uai is adequate
and 2) i dont think i could afford the cost of living in sydney

yeah even after looking through all the stuff im just less decided lol

ive always been bad a making life changing decisions :p :p
1- have you looked at your UAC guide? you never know, your UAI may be enough to get y7ou into a lesser course which you could transfer from later.

2- As long you don't mind not living in a super flash apartment, Sydney isnt that bad. You can get a fairly decent 1 room apartment for $120-50 a week. If thats too much, share houses can be a good idea. Plus you can always apply for Youth allowance/rent assist to help your living expenses while you study.

Showpony Stuart

HSC
is/has anybody been in this situation before, of complete indecision??

any usefull bits of advice on decided, be it specific or general??

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Showpony Stuart said:
Im pretty sure there is a lot more work and money in engineering, but i think i would enjoy architecture more
I would always say to go with what you enjoy.

The last option would be to apply for architecture, then defer it for a year while you travel a bit, gain a bit of life experience, then hopefully you'll have a clearer idea of what you want to do by the end of the year.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Showpony Stuart said:

stop. think. what do you love doing? what do you find yourself thinking about in your spare time? what interests you? what makes you happy? what did you most enjoy during the HSC? Always go with what you love most :)

friction

HSC
Showpony Stuart said:

Yea this is me completely stumped as to wat to do and were to do it.

icelillies

In the twisted branches of the faraway tree
HSC
I'm in the same boat (gee I love that expression ;)).

I should (hopefully) be accepted for the combined Arts/Law at Newcastle uni (as my UAI was more than sufficient)....but I love to do everything and I apparantly I excell in most things (so coming to the conclusion of doing a law degree took some thought).... How I arrived at my decision = I thought about about not only what subject I enjoyed in school but also what kept me stimulated (for example I'm a natural with art but I was good at legal studies - which obviosuly challenged more than the art scene did). I also considered the versatility of doing law and my ability to build on the foundations of such a degree. Oh - and I of course considered the financial gain :hat: .

Good luck with whatever you do!

eb590

HSC
icelillies said:
I should (hopefully) be accepted for the combined Arts/Law at Newcastle uni (as my UAI was more than sufficient
hi icelillies! im hoping to do the same degree at newcastle and was also in a similar situation as I had no idea what i wanted to do. I think that if you really can't decide the best thing is to follow subjects you like. From this you may decide to choose a basic degree such as science or arts and then find a particular aspect which you really enjoy and want to pursue as a career. I think the key is not choosing something for money or because your friends are, but because you are interested in it - if the other two factors also happen to fall into that category, great bonus for you!

icelillies

HSC
eb590 said:
hi icelillies! im hoping to do the same degree at newcastle quote]
Hey eb590 :) - are you anxiously awaiting your acceptance letter? I would have been a tad stressed isf I had only just reached the requirement of 87.10 (yes yes I included the 4 bonus points in that sum).
What did you want to do in the arts degree???? I'm thinking of politics and policy, and international relations.

eb590

HSC
icelillies said:
eb590 said:
Hey eb590 :) - are you anxiously awaiting your acceptance letter?quote] Hi, yeah im anxiously waiting, i got 94.4 so hopefully the cut off doesnt go up too much, wasnt it 91.1 for this year? for arts im not entirely sure but i was looking at sociology and anthropology, and geography, i think i will just make up my mind after the offers come out. any idea how many places are given to this course?

icelillies

HSC
eb590 said:
Hi, yeah im anxiously waiting, i got 94.4 so hopefully the cut off doesnt go up too much, wasnt it 91.1 for this year? for arts im not entirely sure but i was looking at sociology and anthropology, and geography, i think i will just make up my mind after the offers come out. any idea how many places are given to this course?
I don't think the cut-off will go higher (yeah it was 91.10 for this year) and I'm not entirely sure how many places are available in the course...( I spoke to a girl who said her graduating class was about 60). Have you heard about the huge drop out rate??

Do you need to do a science bridging course for sociology and anthropology ???

eb590

HSC
yeah apparently the drop out rate is huge! wow 60 is quite small for this course. no you dont need a science bridging course for sociology and anthropology, its more the study of how people interact, and why society is the way it is, so i guess more like society and culture? which i never did but am interested in. do you know how many hours a week this degree is? i cant seem to find it anywhere. bet youre relieved now that youve got the marks and can just enjoy the holidays more now:)

icelillies

HSC
Yeah I am pretty relieved :) But I know that I (we) have a pretty intense course lined up with Law and all those readings :s

Yes I thought the graduating class size was small also - however, in considering the massive dropout rate...

I'm not sure how many hours the course is :( but we'll know when we get there lol. Do we start the second of march???

Last edited:

eb590

HSC
hi, yeah it looks like an awesome course, im really excited, but then i remember that i dont actually have an offer yet, so i guess trying not to be too excited. yeah we start 2nd of march and o week starts 23rd. hope you have a good christmas =):rudolf:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)