• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Whether to do 4U or not... (1 Viewer)

Captain pi

HSC
Lazarus said:
What are your other courses?

Don't forget that taking Extension 2 instantly doubles the value of your Extension 1 mark.
Do be careful, however; UAC only counts the last result you undertook in the scaling of your marks and, thus, the calculation of your UAI.

My advice: do 4U (I did it in 2004). It is a beautiful course and the fact that you have already studied the 3U course will make it easier for you to concentrate on your 4U and do very well in.

Although Lazarus does have a point: consider your other subjects; remember that 4U is really an extra two units and is very competitive. (Generally, half of the candidature get a scaled mark over 45 / 50 although Lazarus will tell us all that soon).

Love,

pi.

lala2

Banned
HSC
congrats, rench! do 4U--you're clearly capable. for me, I did 4U, and trust me, it's the easiest of all the four units of maths...including stuff like harder 3U (parametrics especially), but regretfully I've dropped it because it just took up too much of my time and my 3U wasn't too sound. so yeah, I'm not being biased, beacuse as you can see, I've dropped it. again, 4U's good for the scaling if you ace your marks, so g'luck for that!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
So does that mean I should try to get 98-99 in Ext 1 next year? I got 96 this time round, but I'm not sure whether that extra 2-3 marks is worth the time and effort of doing it again.
As for Ext 2, I'll give it a go. Out of curiosity ac, how come you didn't do Ext 2? (since you got 99 in 2U and 48 in Ext 1)
I would say you wouldnt have to repeat extension 1, i mean i got in the 99s with the same extension1 mark as you without doing extension 2 maths. With you doing Extension 2 you could possible get an even higher UAI. Of course this all depends on how you are doing in your other subjects also.

As for why I didnt do Extension 2, I actually started it and did first 2 topics but dropped it mainly because it was taking up too much time and i didnt really need Extension 2 so for me it was a waste of time. Not doing Extension 2 let me focus on my other subjects, most of which i was doing fairly poorly at whilst still doing Extension 2. Also I knew that if i stuck with 2 unit Maths I could compete for first place in the state which was an aim of mine.

FinalFantasy

HSC
i know lots of ppl getting 90+ in ext. 2 and i know u as well:p
pretty sure u'll get over 90..
never give up 4unit maths!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
acmilan said:
I would say you wouldnt have to repeat extension 1, i mean i got in the 99s with the same extension1 mark as you without doing extension 2 maths. With you doing Extension 2 you could possible get an even higher UAI. Of course this all depends on how you are doing in your other subjects also.

As for why I didnt do Extension 2, I actually started it and did first 2 topics but dropped it mainly because it was taking up too much time and i didnt really need Extension 2 so for me it was a waste of time. Not doing Extension 2 let me focus on my other subjects, most of which i was doing fairly poorly at whilst still doing Extension 2. Also I knew that if i stuck with 2 unit Maths I could compete for first place in the state which was an aim of mine.
On that note, did you end up in the top 20 for maths? I was going for a top 20, but screwed up a couple of questions...ended up with 98, which I was happy with anyway though :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
i know lots of ppl getting 90+ in ext. 2 and i know u as well:p
pretty sure u'll get over 90..
never give up 4unit maths!
You know me? Who are you?
Perhaps we'd better take this to a PM - I don't want randoms stalking me in threads :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
On that note, did you end up in the top 20 for maths? I was going for a top 20, but screwed up a couple of questions...ended up with 98, which I was happy with anyway though :)
I finished equal third in state.

Captain pi

HSC
lala2 said:
congrats, rench! do 4U--you're clearly capable. for me, I did 4U, and trust me, it's the easiest of all the four units of maths...including stuff like harder 3U (parametrics especially), but regretfully I've dropped it because it just took up too much of my time and my 3U wasn't too sound. so yeah, I'm not being biased, beacuse as you can see, I've dropped it. again, 4U's good for the scaling if you ace your marks, so g'luck for that!
What? Are you saying the fourth unit of Mathematics Extension 2 is easier than the first unit of Mathematics? Dubiously written especially as you haven't actually done the course.

I agree that rench ought to do 4U, but 4U is not easier than any other mathematics units, in my opinion.

Also, any subject is good if you "ace" your marks, if you get 100 (aligned mark) in English Advanced, it is probably going to contribute basically the same as a mark of 100 in Mathematics Extension 2 to your UAI (as is my understanding). An aligned mark in the top band in either Mathematics Extensions isn't going to move radically; up certainly, but not radically.
X2 Maths is very good if you do averagely in the course.

But I don't think anyone should study Mathematics Extension 2 just for the scaling (or even because of the scaling); a genuine love and interest in the subject, (or, indeed, the course), and a strong mathematics performance in the Preliminary Course is what I would see as the criteria required.
Sorry to be a bit critical, I agree with your intial remark; (I'm just getting involved with BOS.

lala2

Banned
HSC
oh that's ok, i did complex numbers and it was easy, but i just dropped out on the last day of term 4. my taecher says that the 4U paper is the most predictable of the lot, and she said to all of us, it isn't the difficulty that's gonna kill you, it's the amount of work and time that is, and it's so true. i did try it, contrary to what you assumed above, and it is much easier than parametrics. you can ask around if you want to, but that's just my opinion.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
For 2U I got 98 and for Ext 1 I got 48.
Therein lies your answer:)

My 4u mark was 2 marks higher than my 2u mark last year. Put in some work and you might just top the state;)

But seriously, put some effort in and you'll blitz it.

And even if your 2u mark scales to a higher mark than your potential 4u mark, you've got to remember that maths is obviously one of your strongest subjects, and it's to your advantage to have it covering more units as this means less other subjects dragging you down, and you get 4 units of juicy extension scaling rather than just 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)