Which book do u think is the best??? (1 Viewer)

Shocker_85

hi ppl
cud u plz tell which book u r using and if it is good!
im using Chem Pathways by Thickett...but i dont like it...it's kind of brief and does not give enough info...
i think i shud get conquering or some other book for reference,
Which 1 do u recommend???:confused:

kini mini

HSC
I loved Pathways because the author tried to introduce more real chem into the BS course, so I may not be the best person to ask...

However, I recommend Chem Contexts (Longman), the Zumdahl and/or Atkins General Chemistry books for fundamental chem. IMO Conquering is crap, my copy is in perfect condidtion as I barely used it all year. Borrow it from a library before you buy! The other series you may want to try is not that well known, it's by a Catherine Landers who I think has a book per module. I referred to that a few times as well, it complemented Pathways.

One thing that bothers me though - what do you see as being too brief about Pathways? If anything I thought that all books had far too much information even for this rote learning course, the challenge was always to determine what was essential.

Shocker_85

i dunno why that book does not satisfy me...

may be because the syllabus has changed...

kini mini

HSC
None of the books have been revised yet though, at the worst just go with the college stuff :)

Shocker_85

Have u heard any thing About Jacaranda Chemistry...my chem teacher recommended it in yr 11...

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Shocker_85
Have u heard any thing About Jacaranda Chemistry...my chem teacher recommended it in yr 11...
Never used it :). Go to a bookshop and have a flip through, you have plenty of spare time :)

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I DONT recommend excel cuase it really sucks, but conc chem is good if you want to get the idea of how stuff works, dont know a whole lot about other books tho.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i soo reckon
excel chem is realli realli CRAP it sux 2 da max
u cant learn new topics the layout is so stupid and the information is like cramped and incomplete

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by Shocker_85
hi ppl
cud u plz tell which book u r using and if it is good!
im using Chem Pathways by Thickett...but i dont like it...it's kind of brief and does not give enough info...
i think i shud get conquering or some other book for reference,
Which 1 do u recommend???:confused:

i think pathways n success one hsc shud be enough!
conq chem at times is just way tooo much...:eek:
so u shud be fine with pathways n success hsc

gudluck:D

needtostudy

i believe pathway goes overboard in information.
i think the most revelant book according to covering the syllabus is chemistry context book 2 :)

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
get silberberg Chemistry 2nd ed
get Morrisn and Boyd 6th ed
get Atkins 5th ed

then u'll own everyone in the state

spratt_jg

hem Pathways by Thickett...but i dont like it...it's kind of brief and does not give enough info...
No way man, if anything it's too detailed...Thickett is head teacher science at my school..and he recommeds to use his book in conjuction with conquering...and that's a pretty good way to do it too...

get all the basic notes from conquering (it follows the syllabus closely) and then go to Pathways for all the detailed equations and stuff

SoFTuaRiaL

to all those '03 chem students : pls make it a point to visit the conquering chem website. the book has some errors which have been corrected n posted on the website.
gud luck everybuddy

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
We use Conquering Chemistry..... it's got heaps of irrelevant stuff in it (possibly because of the change in syllabus) but it's OK. I also have the excel Chemistry pocket book (it's pretty good.... just tells you what you need to know and nothing more). Also, I have the Jackaranda HSC Chemistry Flash cards, they are pretty good except it would be better if the cards were a bit smaller.....

Chemistry is my most painful subject....... I almost failed yr 11 chem (dodgy teacher) but after hours and hours and yes more hours I managed to come first in my first chem assessment...... yay!!! I mostly just used my own summary from conquering chem, and my tutor's notes.

muldersgun

HSC
i think its what book suits your study best. I haven't even looked at my issued conquering chem book. Its so convuluted. Then again i think excel is my saviour so don't trust my opinion.

Use a variety of sources and your syllabus as the official reference point. Don't forget to listen to your teacher also. Sometimes they really do have helpful info :D

umm
theres macmillian, conq chemistry and thats about it.

at dymocks theres these questions and answers thing. thats realli helpfu, i think its called outline something.

chemistry exams are quite complex not just theory and fact but experiements and stuff.

but i recommend u get a range
don't just buy the best thats out there. u might be spending alot but its worth it.

or even better scab off friends. people who have done their hsc already. thats the best alternative:D

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by phenol
get silberberg Chemistry 2nd ed
get Morrisn and Boyd 6th ed
get Atkins 5th ed

then u'll own everyone in the state
yeh off course ud own the state, the books cost like 100 dollars EACH!!! and they are uni chemistry so extensive its not worth it unless u intend to do chem in uni

Last edited:

smittenkitten

Poopinator
I use conc chem cos im a simpleton:p who likes things put forth in an easy to understand way. Also it has less info so I only remember the basics:p Easy basic marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)