Which book do u think is the best??? (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
we're using chemistry context 2 and it's quite easy to understand.. it's handy to keep the syllabus at hand so u know what ur studying. i quite like the book, but i'm going to have to buy another one with more questions.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy
If youre getting a book with questions, I reckon you shold get the success one books because theyre quite good.
I agree.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
ya

conquering chem is good just for like simple, following the syllabus..
pathways tends to be more detailed, and this extra information can be useful and interesting to some people, a hassle to others..
i havent really used chemistry contexts , but i think its similar to pathways
success one is good for practice questions...
i found the questions, or questions of a similar structure, from those books in a lot of my tests, trial exams and even the hsc..
if you want even more detail, get uni chem books like silverberg (?), or something......

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by luigi_000
if you want even more detail, get uni chem books like silverberg (?), or something......
Silberberg? Atkins and Zumdahl are good as well :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
well the new 2003 successone for chemistry is out. i recommend it very well. the worked answers it gives you for past papers is marvellous :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Ragerunner
well the new 2003 successone for chemistry is out. i recommend it very well. the worked answers it gives you for past papers is marvellous :)
yea i know... but i wish they could just answer all the syllabus dot points so we just remember it.

anybody here who has a teacher using successone? cause my teacher uses it. when ever he uses the book to give us an answer he would always try to correct the answers by saying: "thats not all that right...thats too general...that needs specific details...thats far too long..." im just sitting there thinking if he corrects the anwers in a book written by teachers, what hope have i got in getting full marks for one of those long responses...

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
My school issued me with pathways but I didn't get some of the stuff in there so I bought conquering chem and began working through it. I've understood everything so far (except that (soln) thing in chemical equations- see thread "states in chemical equations")

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
"thats not all that right...thats too general...that needs specific details...thats far too long..." im just sitting there thinking if he corrects the anwers in a book written by teachers, what hope have i got in getting full marks for one of those long responses...
I totally agree. It just seems to me that in the long responses you don't know what they're looking for. Because one time they may want fact a and another time fact b, so in my opinion most of the 4< markers are quite ridiculous. I never seem to get more than half the marks for those, but I do alright in all the other sections.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
its the same for me.

i still haven't had my half yearlys yet. im thinking of remembering all the long response answers from successone word by word since its written by the senior teachers of stansw (my teacher is named in that book:eek: ). so then when i do my half yearlys and i still don't get full marks for those long responses it proves that teachers are all bloody idiots.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
(my teacher is named in that book:eek: ).
My bio teacher kept going on about the success one books because a guy from our school was on the front cover. every lesson he would come in and tell us that if we bought the success one books we would be really smart and get on the cover too:rolleyes: we had a theory going that he was being paid by the success one ppl:p

kini mini

HSC

i still haven't had my half yearlys yet. im thinking of remembering all the long response answers from successone word by word since its written by the senior teachers of stansw (my teacher is named in that book:eek: ). so then when i do my half yearlys and i still don't get full marks for those long responses it proves that teachers are all bloody idiots.
The answers in last year's Success One chem weren't uniformly good IMO. My chem teacher was scathing in his criticism at times :p. There were times that I thought that answers could have been better structured, some relevant facts were omitted and irrelevant facts put in...it comes down to the fact that it's very unlikely that any two teachers will agree on the wording of the Perfect Answer to a question. But in general, the Success one books give you a sense of the incredible level of fussiness surrounding the marking of HSC "science" courses.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by mannnnndy
...be really smart and get on the cover too
who are those people in the cover? are they subject toppers? there is like a few fat old guys which doesn't look student to me.
Originally posted by kini mini
...it comes down to the fact that it's very unlikely that any two teachers will agree on the wording of the Perfect Answer to a question.
if there is no perfect answer, how can a student expect full marks? maybe thats why there hasn't been any full marks in any of the science subjects since the new hsc.

btw, do you know what is the approximate ratio of raw exam marks to the hsc mark in chemistry? say if got 90% in the test, about what range of hsc mark would you expect?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Last year's cutoff mark for band 6 in the HSC exam was 81/100
This mark got you 90 in your HSC certificate which gets scaled up to around 97 in calculating UAI.

Perhaps I won't regret doing chemistry after all :D
It's nowhere near as hard as some other subjects (eg 4U maths:rolleyes: )

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I have macmillan chemistry which is too complicated...and they talk about stuff which won't even be examined....I find that Roland Smith's Counquering Chemistry is really helpful and lays out the information in a concise and logical manner.....with nice colour pictures and diagrams....so I highly recommend it....
Good luck in your Chem this year!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
well the newest book is chem cont, and b4 that it's conq chem. our school uses contetxs 4 yr 11 but conqu 4 yr 12, so i would just recommend using the 2 of them 2getha. i dnt like the big excel book. excel in a month seems ok. there r some good little summary books, but i cant rememba the names, theyre not well known, but they have flash cards so it mite b what ppl have mentioned in posts b4 this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)