• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

which combine degree is the best? (1 Viewer)

johnluo

HSC
I know many guys here r doing Actuarial combine with finance. But wich one will be more competitive in future?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
better career prospects= actuarial+applied finance ?

feng

comp i believe is the best

i wish i did comp...but macq comp isnt that good i dont think...which is why i chose against it

RIZAL

HSC
johnluo said:
I know many guys here r doing Actuarial combine with finance. But wich one will be more competitive in future?
depends.

where do you see yourself working in 5-6 years?

At an insurance company or bank or financial services org. or software developer etc...?

but Finance is the best. It just 'gels' well :D

CrashOveride

HSC
for investment banking or financial services, you reckon AppFin is best to combine with Isaaq?

and with computing, is that much help if u just go into one of these fields or is it more if u want to be involved with programming the financial software and stuff ? (is there good money in this area)

johnluo

HSC
How about combine with law degree. someone told me law in MU is not good as UNSW. And it take longer to graduate and waste money.

Last edited:

hasterz

HSC
i have honestly never heard of anyone completing both actuarial studies and law...... completeing act is hard enough

santaslayer

HSC
hasterz said:
i have honestly never heard of anyone completing both actuarial studies and law...... completeing act is hard enough
this guy called charles from syd tech will....this year...

RIZAL

HSC
CrashOveride said:
for investment banking or financial services, you reckon AppFin is best to combine with Isaaq?

and with computing, is that much help if u just go into one of these fields or is it more if u want to be involved with programming the financial software and stuff ? (is there good money in this area)

yes it's the best for those field (Didn't pull this from my arse either, it was recommended by an IB head at Citigroup).

flamin'

It doesn't matter what degree you combine with. Just a few extra skills MAY be useful. What matters is if you are fully qualified or not. It doesn't matter how you get there though....

feng

having programming skills definitely helps a lot in order to build models etc

most graduate jobs are looking for SOME knowledge of programming

CloudStrife

HSC
i'm into 2nd yr ...acst with computing ...but i think that the computing degree is too theoretical to help with acst....any opinions on that?

CrashOveride

HSC
flyin: Are you going to be taking any advanced math units for your maths major? I hear you do not have to pay anything for them...they are HECS exempt...

bong

HSC
bit off topic, but what do you guys think of econ141 as an elective (for fin/acst) ?

RIZAL

HSC
flyin' said:
It's what an actuary would call a GPA-booster. There isn't much new material in it, because you've covered alot of it in Stat171 and much of statistics will be re-covered in Stat271.

ignore that, there is a lot of new material in it! :)

bong

HSC
as good a gpa booster as acst101? :D

isaaq, whats the workload like?

i'd do something more interesting... but the ones i've looked at all have clashes, eg: chinese civilisation (chn123?)

RIZAL

HSC
the workload depends on whether you do it first sem or second sem. I did it first sem and got Roger Tonkin. He weights the assesment as 100% final exam.

This allows you to leave absolutely everything (even assignments and exams are optional) until the last minute. I'd advise going to lectures for none of the first term (it's just non linear regression like in stat171) and going to all teh lectures in the second term when they get into harder stuff.

It's a little bit harder than acst101.

feng

flyin' said:
The computing degree should help when you actually start working, not necessarily at university.

You haven't done any actual actuarial work until AFTER second year. Ask yourself the same question in two years time. =p
true.dat

2nd year may be the toughest year comparatively, but 3rd year is where the real actuarial work starts. im assuming thsi cos we havent done any thing in 1st-2nd year yet..all that is theoretical too..nothing i've learned so far except a few basics in acst151 has shown up in the work that i am doing

bong

HSC
Isaaq said:
the workload depends on whether you do it first sem or second sem. I did it first sem and got Roger Tonkin. He weights the assesment as 100% final exam.

This allows you to leave absolutely everything (even assignments and exams are optional) until the last minute. I'd advise going to lectures for none of the first term (it's just non linear regression like in stat171) and going to all teh lectures in the second term when they get into harder stuff.

It's a little bit harder than acst101.
so its pretty much what i should be looking for in terms of workload, difficulty etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)