Which dual commerce degree should I do? (1 Viewer)

yeem

HSC
Initially I at the start of my HSC I made the decision to just do a single commerce degree at UNSW but I've talked to a few people throughout the year who've recommended that a double commerce degree is better because everyone is doing commerce and you need to differentiate yourself from the rest, and thought that would be a really good idea. So now I'm stuck between choosing either commerce/arts, commerce/science or commerce/media and was wondering which one would offer me better job prospects. Thanks in advance!

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
so its your choice out of arts/science/media. whichever you choose you will have to complete some mandatory cores in the first year so choose wisely.

arts will allow you to something like a language, science would be the most interesting of the three.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Initially I at the start of my HSC I made the decision to just do a single commerce degree at UNSW but I've talked to a few people throughout the year who've recommended that a double commerce degree is better because everyone is doing commerce and you need to differentiate yourself from the rest, and thought that would be a really good idea. So now I'm stuck between choosing either commerce/arts, commerce/science or commerce/media and was wondering which one would offer me better job prospects. Thanks in advance!
I think it will depend on what major you are looking to do in Commerce.

If you are looking at Finance then maybe combining with Science and majoring in say Mathematics will help.

If you are looking at say an International Business major then an Arts degree will help or if you are looking to compliment your degree by studying a language then Arts would be the one to pick.

If you are looking at a Marketing Major then Media would help a lot.

yeem

HSC
so its your choice out of arts/science/media. whichever you choose you will have to complete some mandatory cores in the first year so choose wisely.

arts will allow you to something like a language, science would be the most interesting of the three.
why would science be the most interesting one?

yeem

HSC
I think it will depend on what major you are looking to do in Commerce.

If you are looking at Finance then maybe combining with Science and majoring in say Mathematics will help.

If you are looking at say an International Business major then an Arts degree will help or if you are looking to compliment your degree by studying a language then Arts would be the one to pick.

If you are looking at a Marketing Major then Media would help a lot.
Thanks, that was really helpful :)...I get what your saying...but the problem is that I haven't even decided what major I plan to do...and so I'm pretty confused at the moment. I dont think I'd do international business, so I probably would get rid of that one.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Well you have until January 16th to decide (what to combine Commerce with). Since all of this are entered under the UNSW Commerce code.

I know with the Combined Law program, you can swap your other degree after each sem e.g. from Commerce/Law to Arts/Law. I think Commerce might be the same but not sure. You could maybe give the ASB a call tomorrow and ask if you could do the same? If you can, once you decide on your major, you could change your other degree to try and compliment it. It will drag out your degree a bit but it's better than spending your entire uni life doing a degree that you don't like.

yeem

HSC
oh cool! but do you think its better to do a combined commerce degree rather than a single one? just curious...

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
A double degree does separate you from others and it's also an opportunity for those who haven't decide what course to do to take.

However, that being said, people who can achieve good marks in Commerce are still highly favoured even with a single degree. I know someone doing a single Commerce degree (majoring in Accounting and Finance) scoring around 90 average in accounting and has been offerred positions by 3 of the big 4 accounting firms.

A double degree provides more options but if you have your goal set and have the marks to back it up a single degree is fine.

yeem

HSC
Oh wow, that's awesome for your friend! Your advice has been really really helpful! Thankyou :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
You're welcome. I will be around if you still have any questions now and once you start uni :D

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Please don't do a double degree for the sake of it. 9/10 times unless your doing law/economics or maths which is relevant it won't help you differentiate yourself very much at all. I'm speaking of course if your looking to do something in Accounting/Economics/Finance. For example Media might help if your looking to do marketing, and wish to close in on that specific industry. But really the degrees you mentioned (apart from Maths/Stats in the Science degree) won't pull you any better job prospects then someone with a single Bcomm.

They really do look for relevance if you mention your second degree,and if its not, then you can forget putting it on the table. People usually do a second degree(that's not relevant) because they use it as a back up for another job(that isn't commerce) or because they just enjoy it.

Really though you have to think if you want to spend another 2 years at Uni.Or you could already work for 2 years, make money and be potentially promoted and on higher foot then someone who did a double degree and is just starting on his grad job the same way you did 2 years ago with a single degree. You have to think if the job your aiming for really requires a second degree to signifcantly increase your prospects enough that spending another 2 years in uni and racking up more fees will be worth it.(jobs like IB,Consulting,or Law(where double is compulsory) make sense for someone to do a double degree, where as a job in Accounting or a commercial bank usually means a single Bcomm with good marks is a much more viable.) option).

Like Trans mentioned if your unsure of your career path yet then a double degree isn't bad, but if you know you want to do something in the commerce industry then try to do a relevant degree(which would be science majoring in maths/stats from your three), otherwise your job prospects aren't going to increase anymore then someone with a single Bcomm(unless you can really sell it hard somehow,but it's not easy).

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
OP they changed it from since my year. It used to be that all Commerce (single or double degree) were under the same code. Now UNSW Commerce single degree and the double degrees are under separate codes. All the double degrees are coded together except Advanced Science and Com/Engo.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you thought about Commerce/Law? That's probably one of the best for career opportunities. UNSW has a wonderful internal transfer system, whereby for an internal transfer to law, they just consider your first year WAM - meaning if you study hard and get good grades in first year (i.e. get about 80 WAM), you can transfer from a single Commerce degree to a dual Commerce/Law degree and complete it in 5 years - the same as all other Combined Law students.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
I applied for B Commerce (At UoN) before and got an offer...but lapsed it...lol

Hmm....well, all I can say is the degree name doesn't matter most...its what you major in that bites the bullet so to speak....that will determine your career path wont it? =p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Better off using the extra time/energy on things which will actually improve your employability (e.g. life experiences, work experience, extra curriculars, etc) as opposed to giving you a second degree you don't really care for which is close to meaningless especially if you don't do well in it.

yeem

HSC
Have you thought about Commerce/Law? That's probably one of the best for career opportunities. UNSW has a wonderful internal transfer system, whereby for an internal transfer to law, they just consider your first year WAM - meaning if you study hard and get good grades in first year (i.e. get about 80 WAM), you can transfer from a single Commerce degree to a dual Commerce/Law degree and complete it in 5 years - the same as all other Combined Law students.
No I wasn't planning to do law - my sister's going to transfer so thanks for the info!

yeem

HSC
now i sooooo confused and stressed!!!! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)