Which engo is best? (1 Viewer)

simonkey

HSC
Hi, which engineering discipline is da best?? Is really mechanical as 'grease monkey' as it seems. Is electrical boring?

Joel8945

HSC
I hope mechanical engineering isn't 'grease monkey' because I prefer more office style professions. I would rather wear a lab coat or suit than be covered in grease. Chemical engineering is more my style.

walkahz

HSC
If ur dooing engineering to get your hands really dirty then you are in the wrong job. Most mechanical engineering jobs are design jobs really.

doink

Clone
HSC
Mechanical has very little to do with cars, you don't even learn about them in the degree, alot of jobs are design yes and about 40% in automotive however there are alot of other jobs available in construction areas as well as aero/electrical and power generation.

It's a very broad field.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: Which engo is best?

Joel8945 said:
I hope mechanical engineering isn't 'grease monkey' because I prefer more office style professions. I would rather wear a lab coat or suit than be covered in grease. Chemical engineering is more my style.
So oil, grease and fat don't belong in carbon chemistry?

Joel8945

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Which engo is best?

Forbidden. said:
So oil, grease and fat don't belong in carbon chemistry?
Yes they do but not to the same extent as a mechanic. Working in a lab is easier to do (well in my case), but I do guess the stenches in organic chemistry aren't really anyone's cup of tea.

walkahz said:
If ur dooing engineering to get your hands really dirty then you are in the wrong job. Most mechanical engineering jobs are design jobs really.
Thank god for that. I was considering architecture but designing houses wasn't really my thing and I prefer getting involved in more complex maths problems. I've always loved designing.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Which engo is best?

Joel8945 said:
Yes they do but not to the same extent as a mechanic. Working in a lab is easier to do (well in my case), but I do guess the stenches in organic chemistry aren't really anyone's cup of tea.

Thank god for that. I was considering architecture but designing houses wasn't really my thing and I prefer getting involved in more complex maths problems. I've always loved designing.
Of course, I've been exposed to many organic compounds almost as much compounds present in tobacco smoke.

At UNSW they offer a first year course for engineering students specifically on design, it was introduced by the university in response from employers who state that the design of products is more important than the actual theory itself.
The mathematics is what aids engineers in their design and problem solving.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
3unitz said:
omgggg electrical is not boring! think of the circuits simon!

~ digital electronics!
~ control and automation!
~ telecommunications!
~ signal processing!
~ power generation!
~ nano technology!
~ robotics!
~ renewable energy!
~ computer hardware!

from satellite communications to gaming systems, computers, televisions to power stations and awesome robotic machines and miscellaneous electronic gadgets! electrical engineering with all its crazy mind bending applications is the way of the future...

it all depends on what you like doing though. i personally would find civil boring, whereas others think bridges and roads are the best thing in the world
So i take it electrical engineering is awesome?

What do you guys think of telecommunications? Or would electrical engineering be more worthwhile/interesting?

boris

Banned
HSC
civil bra you get to work with bulldozers and shit

Edit: and drive around in utes. a lot

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
3unitz said:
electrical, telecommunications and computer engineering are pretty similar - at least at my uni - with a lot of overlapping courses. its possible to come out with an electrical engineering degree having done the exact same courses as someone who comes out with a telecommunications degree (or vice versa).

the major difference is that telecommunications will have core telecommunication courses, whereas with electrical you can (if you want) pick them as electives. telecommunications focuses more on mobile/wireless communications, computer networking, broadcasting etc. whereas straight electrical places a greater emphasis on power generation and distribution.

it all depends on which uni you go to though, so check the course information of both on the uni site to see the differences.
Oh i see, thanks for the excellent help! You've helped me out heaps :D

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
whats the difference between aerospace at unsw, and aeronautical (space) at usyd?

apart from the UAI cutoff.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
simonkey said:
Hi, which engineering discipline is da best?? Is really mechanical as 'grease monkey' as it seems. Is electrical boring?
if it's not your thing, then you'll find anything boring

all the engineering courses are stimulating, but if you don't have a natural interest in the area then it is likely that you will end up bored. also, in the first couple of years you will be doing lots of really broad generic subjects like physics and maths, and these can be tedious.

arjungamer123

HSC
There's no best. For money, civil/mining are the best. But you can't say best, it's all about the personal preference.

Shmegel

HSC
nothing much i can do about it anymore. im already doing civil/environmental :)

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
environmental isnt even engineering, its shit

КГБ

Banned
HSC
sex engineering.

you learn to keep you penis up longer while fucking.

hotdimsim

HSC
civil bra you get to work with bulldozers and shit

Edit: and drive around in utes. a lot

Don't forget stand around in hard hats and fluro vests ordering people around.

I only study it for the fluro vests.

cyrius

HSC
omgggg electrical is not boring! think of the circuits simon!

~ digital electronics!
~ control and automation!
~ telecommunications!
~ signal processing!
~ power generation!
~ nano technology!
~ robotics!
~ renewable energy!
~ computer hardware!

from satellite communications to gaming systems, computers, televisions to power stations and awesome robotic machines and miscellaneous electronic gadgets! electrical engineering with all its crazy mind bending applications is the way of the future...

it all depends on what you like doing though. i personally would find civil boring, whereas others think bridges and roads are the best thing in the world
this is so true...electrical engineering covers a lot of areas. that's why i chose it.lol

i think most subjects in mechanical (and mechanical and mechatronics for that matter) are the same with electrical anyway, and if you still cant choose you can just take the general engineering stream so you could try all options and choose the one that you like.

1 thing thats puzzling me is why everyone react when some people tell them that they will be doing electrical engineering...they say its really hard etc...is this true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)