• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which Excel books for year 11 (2 Viewers)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Wooz said:
I have bought prelim books because i was told to catch up since the selective school that im changing to has already started there prelim over a term early.
Isn't there a BOS rule stating that schools\teachers can't teach prelim before it begins?

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think that starting the course early is a disgrace, and is unfair on the rest of the state. It is also against the BOS rules, and quite frankly, your school should be fined.

A l

HSC
N/A
Teachers are not allowed to directly teach the preliminary course in Year 10. However, they are allowed to make indirect references to it because they are technically not studying the preliminary course, only bits and pieces of it.
In the case of Advanced Mathematics, the Year 10 syllabus allows teachers to go onto option topics which help prepare students for the Mathematics Extension 1 course. They are not a requirement of the School Certificate, nor are they compulsory. It is up to the staff to decide whether to cover the option topics or not. These topics are revisited in the Preliminary and HSC course. The option topics include Circle Geometry, Polynomials, Functions and Logarithms.

HSC
N/A
The only course to my knowledge that is having a significant change starting with 2006s prelim students is Studies of Religion.

And oh my, I've just read on the BOS site that Journeys will indeed still be in place for AOS in the 2007 HSC - &@$AS$()$D!) !
Here I was thinking I'd escaped the 'Journey' for good!

Ah well. I guess I'll be doing AOS twice (we did a lot of it before I started Pathways and dropped English)

At least they'll be a wide range of resources here, in study guides and past papers to use. And maybe at my new school they won't do Physical Journeys (If I wanted to do physical journeys I'd have chosen Standard damnit!)

Journeys didn't really look all that bad, but I found the physical focus to be rather dull....

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh, btw, which is a good textbook for HSC preliminary modern history?

vizman

HSC
does anyoen hav excel preliminary economics? just wondering if its any good

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
googled said:
Oh, btw, which is a good textbook for HSC preliminary modern history?
Excel does not make a mondern history prelim, i've got the macquarie prelim modern history book.

Last edited:

MissMoo

HSC
im going into year eleven too and i was also wondering the same about what books toget etc...and also is there anything i should be doing now to prepare or what?

tennille

HSC
MissMoo said:
and also is there anything i should be doing now to prepare or what?
Not really. I'd enjoy these holidays because it'll be the last you have without any work. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
MissMoo said:
im going into year eleven too and i was also wondering the same about what books toget etc...and also is there anything i should be doing now to prepare or what?
Not for year 11. There is no need, nothing counts, so just relax. :cool:

Hell even I'm taking a bit of a break this week and I'm in year 12! :)

tennille

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
what about preliminary 2 unit maths?

doesnt that make up a portion of the 2 unit maths HSC exam?
The maths courses in year 11 and 12 are combined, so yes, both year 11 and 12 maths count towards the HSC. However, there is no need to stress about it at this point in time.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Like others have so kindly pointed out only the mathematics course follow on from preliminary to HSC year.

All other course in preliminary help to build the foundations or the stepping stones to concepts\topics\skills learnt and needed in the HSC.

Year 11 2006 stop stressing out enjoy these holidays I don't think you should be buying study guides now at least wait until school starts to see if you need them on the most part you can complete the preliminary year without them. These are your last free summer holidays because next year you would of completed 1 term of the HSC and will be spending the time on assignments\assessments\further reading or study.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Kid.@dmin said:
Isn't there a BOS rule stating that schools\teachers can't teach prelim before it begins?
Yeah, I've been told by my English teacher that she couldn't teach us anything from the prelim course during rollover because it was illegal but for Maths, we started the prelim course in the beginning of year 10. Is this normal? I'm not sure if that's beneficial or detrimental for our poor brains *cries*

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Year 10 Maths has option topics that introduce Prelim concepts. Our Year 10 covered some of these at the end of last year (we didn't get time to the year before), and I think it's normal for schools that finish early and have enthusiastic Year 10 cohorts. :)

I_F

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Most selective schools have either accelerated classes or have students start there prelim subjects early, even most of my friends at other schools have started there prelim subjects early.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
Year 10 Maths has option topics that introduce Prelim concepts.
From memory, there are three option topics to choose from: polynomials, circle geometry, and logarithms, which will eventually be covered in year 11/12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)