which guitar to buy ?? (1 Viewer)

big_jezza

HSC
just started a bachelor of music majoring in contemporary performance at the Australian Institute of Music, need to buy a new semi acoustic guitar this weekend, have a limit of $700

anybody have any suggestions of what guitar to get and from where ??

cheers:guitar:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
get a used one.

can't really get much for a $700 new.

you could get a em225c, or a cole clark fat lady 1, thought you might need to stretch the budget

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Do NOT buy a new guitar. I wouldn't even go to a guitar shop in Sydney. Horrendously overpriced.

Check out eBay! I found a nice Takamine (5 years old, cedar top, rosewood fretboard, preamp and built in tuner worth about $2000) listed for a $1000 Went and saw it, played it. Got him down to $800 cash. Voila.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
hehe.
i think when i get some money when i work fulltime,
i'll be buying $7k taylors, and martins.. for what? 3-4k?

:D:D

and they'd be in the relatively same condition, and sound better

big_jezza

HSC
thanks for the advice, one last question

whats the differnce between semi-acoustic and acoustic/electric ??

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
thanks for the advice, one last question

whats the differnce between semi-acoustic and acoustic/electric ??
oh sorry i thought you were after an acoustic electric.

a semi acoustic is a hallow electric guitar, like the gibson jazz box, or 355,

whereas an acoustic electric is an acoustic guitar with a pickup

big_jezza

HSC
oh sorry i thought you were after an acoustic electric.

a semi acoustic is a hallow electric guitar, like the gibson jazz box, or 355,

whereas an acoustic electric is an acoustic guitar with a pickup

i am after ana coustic electric lol, and i still havent found one
thinking of just hitting up billy hydes at paramatta and having a look around, if i cant find one there, will just keep searching til i find one thats right, coz i also need it for studio recording, which is kinda why i cant just go and grab a cheap standard yamaha or ashton

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i am after ana coustic electric lol, and i still havent found one
thinking of just hitting up billy hydes at paramatta and having a look around, if i cant find one there, will just keep searching til i find one thats right, coz i also need it for studio recording, which is kinda why i cant just go and grab a cheap standard yamaha or ashton

bro did you listen to what i said?

don't get one new, you'll get ripped off.

get a used maton em225c

big_jezza

HSC
bro did you listen to what i said?

don't get one new, you'll get ripped off.

get a used maton em225c

will deffintly be looking for a used one first, the only problem ill have is that i cant pay the $700 up front, i only have enough to pay the 20% deposit on a $700-750 guitar, and that pay it off through certigy or rent to buy, if i can do that with a used, then i will deffinetly look for a maton or an ibanez, but if i cant then thats when im gunna have to find a new guitar and hopefully come across a bargain.

big_jezza

HSC
so if you can only do a lay-by deposit, keep the money and save up
a currently doing a bachelor of music at the Australian Institue of Music but, voice/guitar

i dont have a guitar right now, it got broken last monday night, so i sorta need it for next week, i was happy with my old one, $700 Ashton Acoustic guitar and was using a condensor microphone, but now its kind've a scramble to get one before tuesday of next week.

otherwise i would be saving up, to get an authentic les paul and/or a maton acoustic electric.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
a currently doing a bachelor of music at the Australian Institue of Music but, voice/guitar

i dont have a guitar right now, it got broken last monday night, so i sorta need it for next week, i was happy with my old one, $700 Ashton Acoustic guitar and was using a condensor microphone, but now its kind've a scramble to get one before tuesday of next week.

otherwise i would be saving up, to get an authentic les paul and/or a maton acoustic electric.
why would you pay $700 for an ashton? lol.
i mean they are decent guitars for the price, but yeah : P.. I once had an ashton too.

what happened to your guitar?
maybe it can be fixed

big_jezza

HSC
why would you pay $700 for an ashton? lol.
i mean they are decent guitars for the price, but yeah : P.. I once had an ashton too.

what happened to your guitar?
maybe it can be fixed
paid the $700 coz whe it had the right strings (i.e. top end d'adario's) it sounded perfect, really helped me in my HSC

umm, sister got angry at me, decided to pick it up and through it across the loungeroom at my head, hit a support in the wall, neck first, snapped straight in half, irrepareable, it hit so hard that the metal rod at the top of the neck bent so yeah, really need to get a new one

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
paid the $700 coz whe it had the right strings (i.e. top end d'adario's) it sounded perfect, really helped me in my HSC

umm, sister got angry at me, decided to pick it up and through it across the loungeroom at my head, hit a support in the wall, neck first, snapped straight in half, irrepareable, it hit so hard that the metal rod at the top of the neck bent so yeah, really need to get a new one
lol
what the heck did you do to your sister??

the trussrod bent?

how much do you want for it? =D

big_jezza

HSC
lol
what the heck did you do to your sister??

the trussrod bent?

how much do you want for it? =D
wouldnt, couldnt sell it mate, that thing got me through my HSC, gunna get the strongest wood glue money can buy, and do anything i can to fix it, and can maybe just use it at home, will never sound the same but.

dont relaly know what i did to my sister, she told me the school library wants my books back from 2 years ago, and i said "cant you just take them in" (coz she still goes to that school) and yeah, next thing you know my guitars turned into an aeroplane, night before i started uni, almost broke my heart.:argue:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
wouldnt, couldnt sell it mate, that thing got me through my HSC, gunna get the strongest wood glue money can buy, and do anything i can to fix it, and can maybe just use it at home, will never sound the same but.

dont relaly know what i did to my sister, she told me the school library wants my books back from 2 years ago, and i said "cant you just take them in" (coz she still goes to that school) and yeah, next thing you know my guitars turned into an aeroplane, night before i started uni, almost broke my heart.:argue:
mate do you know how the neck is joined to the body?
if its bolted
you could probably just get a new neck reseated.

if its a dovetail or scarf joint will be abit harder.

just get the neck replaced

as for your sister.. WTFFFF

big_jezza

HSC
mate do you know how the neck is joined to the body?
if its bolted
you could probably just get a new neck reseated.

if its a dovetail or scarf joint will be abit harder.

just get the neck replaced

as for your sister.. WTFFFF
nah i dont know how its joined, cause i dont know what that means, i will be taking it with me tomorrow but and asking if it can be fixed, how much it will cost me, if not, then yeah, guess theres nothing i can do.

darkshine

HSC
I started at AIM this semester in Bachelor of music / Contemporary Performance in guitar.

If your going for a semi-acoustic...

Go for a secondhand maton if anything, next down would be a takamine (secondhand).

If anything, they sound much better with age.

What's your name by the way? I may have seen you. :)

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
I went to AIM.. although I wasn't in Contemporary I did learn guitar. Who is your teacher? I would talk to them about getting a guitar for you... I know that Steve Henderson often reviews for Guitarist Australia so he gets his gear for wholesale price. He would tell my friends and I that if we ever wanted to buy anything, talk to him first... otherwise in 2008, AIM students had a special discount with Billy Hyde Camperdown on Parramatta Rd... not sure if they still have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)