• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is harder, Accounting or Microeconomics? (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
noneother said:
first year economics is bloody easy. once you hit 2nd year is ok. third year is, wow, wtf is this?
Lol I agree. First year was straight forward, second year - I was barely keeping my head above the water and by now I've almost given up lol

As long as you DO the work for acct and have half a brain, it just makes sense. With eco, it's like *head bangs against wall*

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
tlodg said:
micro requires talent more than intro acct

if you have background in accounting prior to tertiary studies then introductory accounting would likely be easier. (meaning even if you did took econ in high school you still may find micro hard)

when u get to financial accounting, that's a different story.

EDIT: I found micro easier than intro acct but my marks did not reflect that.
That must mean you're stupid.
I didn't do econ in high school and I found micro alright. Macro, I'm currently studying it and it doesn't seem too bad as of yet. In fact, easiest subjects so far (other than of course accounting).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
From UNSW perspective I'd say that assuming you had done no study of Eco or Accounting previously, you'd probably find Eco easier still- most people without any economics background can pick it up quite quickly from what I've seen. Accounting on the other hand forces you to think Dr/Cr alot and then link it all together with IS/BS. If you're already upto the IS/BS but still can't get your definitions of A/L and your Dr/Cr correct 100% of the time, you're stuffed. At least Eco you can kinda catch up on since it's alot more relevant to everyday life than book keeping.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Musk said:
Accounting & Microeconomics

is bludgy compared to what i do, damn business ppl getting scared on what they think is hard...pfft
you are such a badass.

stephenchow

HSC
I find accounting much harder since you cant just continue from let's say the middle if you havent done the work since the beginning whereas in economics you can just continue wherever the lectures are up to.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Musk said:
pfft engineering > business in regards to demand in intellergance, the very computer you type was designed by an engineer and the very web u use was done by use smart ppl. you need us unlike we need u
Hahahhaha you just pwned yourself.

I have not done economics, nor have I completed an accounting subject, however, I'm taking Accounting 1A right now. I must say it's very easy. It is, however, difficult if you fall behind. The solution: DON'T fall behind. If you keep working at a steady rate, doing all the homework, studying consistently, etc., you can do quite well.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Musk said:
pfft engineering > business in regards to demand in intellergance, the very computer you type was designed by an engineer and the very web u use was done by use smart ppl. you need us unlike we need u
and the world would not even function if it's not for economics and business, do you see what i mean? People can argue about random crap like this all day, but that's it, it's like arguing about if apples tastes better than orange. The things you say are not what we would expect from an 'intellergant'university student. Seriously, what are you doing here in a Commerce thread bragging about the difficulty of your engineering degree and what do you believe you can achieve from that?

Think about the opportunity cost of you doing this, not only do you waste the valuable resource of time, but we also find out that you are somewhat retarded and immature. What do you gain? Nothing. The marginal costs far outweigh the marginal benefits.

Assuming you are intelligent enough to gain some wisdom from us, there will be some marginal benefit for you, as perhaps you can finally become mature enough to realise that we do not judge people based on the degree they studied at uni (i.e. a commerce student is not superior to an engineering student, and vice versa).

In conclusion, grow up.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, now thats whats I call a GOOD PWNAGE!! :) Nicely said, dyun.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
Hahahhaha you just pwned yourself.

I have not done economics, nor have I completed an accounting subject, however, I'm taking Accounting 1A right now. I must say it's very easy. It is, however, difficult if you fall behind. The solution: DON'T fall behind. If you keep working at a steady rate, doing all the homework, studying consistently, etc., you can do quite well.
Agreed. But then even for some people who try to follow and stay on top of things... some people just don't get their debits and credits unfortunately. At least with economics you can try to rote learn the consequences of various scenarios.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Why can't you rote learn that
Increase in Assets = Debit, Decrease = Credit
etc.

?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
Why can't you rote learn that
Increase in Assets = Debit, Decrease = Credit
etc.

?
Wait until you have a practice set to complete- if you tried rote learning things, there is always something *unique* to throw you off (eg. does an item meet the proper recognition criteria to be on a balance sheet to begin with; and then, what value should be recognised on the balance sheet), which can really screw you over for a long time until you realise that your TB doesn't balance.

sarevok

HSC
i find accounting easier. acct1a and 1b aren't very hard subjects but the workload is heavy. with that said, i have met people who find accounting very hard. i met someone who found acct so hard that he switched from comm/law to computer science/law after failing 1a a couple of times. he said he found it very non-intuitive and couldn't get his mind around the whole debits/credits thing. and this is a smart guy with a 99+ uai.
microeconomics is very abstract and thus i found it difficult. i found macro hard too. but then i didn't do hsc economics and most other people in my course had, so maybe that's why.

Monstar

HSC
Musk said:
Accounting & Microeconomics

is bludgy compared to what i do, damn business ppl getting scared on what they think is hard...pfft
Don't fuck with this dude, he does engineering!

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Dude.. everyone here is studying commerce out of personal preference.

The UAI cutoff is much higher... Do you think we WANT to study engineering? If we did then we could have.

Go stroke your penis elsewhere. Awesome world you lead if you need to drop by into commerce forums to reassure yourself that your uber engineering life is meaningful.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Musk: some people have talents in different fields.
Most people can't act well, so is it correct to say that a degree at NIDA is harder than engineering?

I'm sure you wouldn't be able to critique a piece that is prescribed to someone for third-year English at uni, as I'm sure they wouldn't be able to do a complex maths equation from third-year Engineering.

At the same time, you have no concept of how hard intermediate and third-year economics can be. In fact, go take it, then get back to us. Hell, take some third-year marketing and if you get above a credit, I'd be very impressed.

In summary, how hard something is, is relative. Considering most engineering students spend their first year drunk, I doubt that first year engo is difficult. Neither are first-year accounting, or economics.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Haha good one, we all know that you can't directly compare the difficulty of different courses. However, it doesn't take a genius to realise that there is a much heavier work load in engineering courses than most others - and I'm not talking about self imposed work either. All of that adds to the difficulty of a course.

Considering most engineering students spend their first year drunk, I doubt that first year engo is difficult.
No course is difficult if you're just going to bludge all day and aim for a marginal pass.

It's perfectly understandable that people are going to defend their discipline but don't ignore or distort that which is obvious (the top paragraph). It looks like this thread just got out of hand because some people took offence to a comment which wasn't even meant to be an insult.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Musk said:
the difference between NIDA, commerce n engineering is that engineering is the king of fail rates, this subject has a 98% fail rate and no one complains because when the going gets tough, the tough get going
i hear a lot of engos complaining about how they're failing courses. commerce students compare just as much. This is simply a discussion about which is hardER. So you're saying course can't be relatively harder than another? So you're saying everything must be compared to engineering?

Also, one can understand high failure rates in engineering and medicine. You can't afford to screw something up in real life. In arts and businesses, you have more leeway for mistakes. Yet, it doesn't mean that one thing is necessarily harder than the other.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Haha good one, we all know that you can't directly compare the difficulty of different courses. However, it doesn't take a genius to realise that there is a much heavier work load in engineering courses than most others - and I'm not talking about self imposed work either. All of that adds to the difficulty of a course.

No course is difficult if you're just going to bludge all day and aim for a marginal pass.

It's perfectly understandable that people are going to defend their discipline but don't ignore or distort that which is obvious (the top paragraph). It looks like this thread just got out of hand because some people took offence to a comment which wasn't even meant to be an insult.
His comment was meant to be an insult. He went into a commerce/business forum, and decided to say that engineering is hard compared to commerce (when this thread was about comparing two subjects, none of which are engo subjects).

Also, I don't see why the workload of engineering is that much more intense than for other degrees. Engineering and Sciences have more contact hours, and less study hours. Business, Law and Arts degrees have less contact hours, but more study hours. Ironically, people find it easier to overload in sciences and engineering than for commerce and arts.

For instance, look at withoutaface. He did something crazy like 36cp in a semester and still managed decent marks in engineering. He also didn't sacrifice a social life and went out practically every weekend, and often during the week.
Then take me. I'm only taking 24 credit points in commerce, and am sacrificing a chunk of my social life (albeit to get 4 HDs this semester) in order to do well.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Musk said:
for someone who is trying to payout someone else, it would be much wise and not hypocritical to spell intelligent wrong
Lmao surely you are not so dense that you do not realise I was only criticising your spelling error right?

Seriously though, do you just post randomly to get a flame war going on or are you actually being completely serious? If it is the latter then we feel sorry for you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)