• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is harder, Accounting or Microeconomics? (2 Viewers)

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Unless you're a borderline case, you won't miss the initial cut with a WAM of 67 when someone with a WAM of 68 makes it.

You continue to miss the point. The initial screening process by its very nature is not so complicated so that only those who are directly involved with it can understand it. You may have a better understanding of the latter stages of the process but that has no bearing on the fact that it's general knowledge that the mark prerequisite for the initial screening process is not all that high. Yet you fail to acknowledge that as evidenced by your comment that 'many graduate opportunities are only open to those with a distinction average.'

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Vagabond said:
Here's a hint. What is the single objective way that an employer can halve or even quarter the number of applicants? ...
are you talking about accounting? If so, you could just get rid of all the applicants with a Jewish surname.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Unless you're a borderline case, you won't miss the initial cut with a WAM of 67 when someone with a WAM of 68 makes it.

You continue to miss the point. The initial screening process by its very nature is not so complicated so that only those who are directly involved with it can understand it. You may have a better understanding of the latter stages of the process but that has no bearing on the fact that it's general knowledge that the mark prerequisite for the initial screening process is not all that high. Yet you fail to acknowledge that as evidenced by your comment that 'many graduate opportunities are only open to those with a distinction average.'
It may not be all that high, but it depends on the position. I should not have said 'many'. But, certainly, for some positions, you need a distinction average. The Big-Four may well establish a cut-off of 65 (although it's likely to be slightly higher). If you get 64, chances are that your application will then be put aside for review ONLY if they can't fill the available positions with the people they have approved already. If they establish a cutoff of 70, then a WAM of 69 will not get you in. What benefit is it to them to waste more of their time, effort and ultimately money to see if a person who they feel is underperforming academicaly is very liked by one of his references who happens to be John Howard.

This is not to say that there aren't ways around the screening process. People who have work experience within the same organisation will often be fast-tracked to the later stages of the process (at times they won't even have to go through this process at all, as they get many interns to sign contracts after they finish their tenure [in E&Y and PWC, at least]). Also, being persistent (and creative) can pay off (although not as much for the big-4 than for a small-tier firm).

is a roflcopter
HSC
is this just a marks vs extracurricular debate?
lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not really, its a lot more than that. he is claiming that:
1) Marks don't mattery much specifically for commerce students
2) A commerce student doesn't know more about accounting career prospects, as compared to a person off the street

I'm arguing against those two points.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Anonymou5 said:

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard quite a few of the exclusive IBs are restrictive in their applications and anything below the HD cutoff is likely to land you in the recycle bin.

HSC
seremify007 said:
I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard quite a few of the exclusive IBs are restrictive in their applications and anything below the HD cutoff is likely to land you in the recycle bin.
I suppose that would be because that would be much higher risk and they only take the very very best?

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Allow me the honour of summing up the troll using his own words.
Musk said:
pfft engineering > business in regards to demand in intellergance, the very computer you type was designed by an engineer and the very web u use was done by use smart ppl. you need us unlike we need u

Musk said:
for someone who is trying to payout someone else, it would be much wise and not hypocritical to spell intelligent wrong
here comes irony!

Musk said:
what makes me wonder is how i keep giving your shitty commerce degree shit, all you can pay out is my spelling.
In conclusion....

Musk said:
Complete denial

Last edited:

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Musk said:
what makes me wonder is how i keep giving your shitty commerce degree shit, all you can pay out is my spelling.
Oh btw buddy. I'm not going to bother to 'pay out' engineering, or any university degree for that matter, as I myself and most people here are not immature, misinformed little kids in high school with the need to 'pay out' other people (with no valid reason at all) in order to obtain some sense of shallow self-satisfaction.

Unlike you, we are aware of the importance of all different types of jobs, do you also believe labour jobs are 'batshit' because they are well... labour jobs? Are you even aware that countries would not even function if it there aren't people like them? The fact of the matter is all types of jobs are important and vital in society (given they are legal), and to consider someone to be inferior to your 'superior' self because of their university degree is downright foolish, especially considering you yourself are nowhere near being the 'sharpest tool in the box'.

As insightful, educated university students in this modern society, we should be comfortable with the fact that our degree will be able to provide us a job and benefit the society, given that we are not completely incompetent.

You still don't understand? It is truly a pity... for if one day you graduate, Australia and its people would be burdened by an extra short-sighted, mentally challenged engineer.

p.s. I throughly enjoy this form of debating as allows me to improve my limited understanding of economics. No idea what you would gain though- as mentioned in one of my earlier posts regarding the opportunity cost of you spamming here.

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
dyun said:
Oh btw buddy. I'm not going to bother to 'pay out' engineering, or any university degree for that matter, as I myself and most people here are not immature, misinformed little kids in high school with the need to 'pay out' other people (with no valid reason at all) in order to obtain some sense of shallow self-satisfaction.

Unlike you, we are aware of the importance of all different types of jobs, do you also believe labour jobs are 'batshit' because they are well... labour jobs? Are you even aware that countries would not even function if it there aren't people like them? The fact of the matter is all types of jobs are important and vital in society (given they are legal), and to consider someone to be inferior to your 'superior' self because of their university degree is downright foolish, especially considering you yourself are nowhere near being the 'sharpest tool in the box'.

As insightful, educated university students in this modern society, we should be comfortable with the fact that our degree will be able to provide us a job and benefit the society, given that we are not completely incompetent.

You still don't understand? It is truly a pity... for if one day you graduate, Australia and its people would be burdened by an extra short-sighted, mentally challenged engineer.

p.s. I throughly enjoy this form of debating as allows me to improve my limited understanding of economics. No idea what you would gain though- as mentioned in one of my earlier posts regarding the opportunity cost of you spamming here.
I quite like this post.

But such a massive debate when he was just looking for another excuse to bitch about how hard his degree is. He seems to have formed a small habbit with this. Apparently he looks cool/hardcore if he is doing a really hard degree he can't handle and isn't enjoying (and if this isn't the case, I wonder if he knows this is the impression he's giving off by not shutting up about it).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
watatank said:
I suppose that would be because that would be much higher risk and they only take the very very best?
Probably. I just threw that in because there are still some Commerce jobs which do require marks beyond a Credit average.

uhawww said:
Apparently he looks cool/hardcore if he is doing a really hard degree he can't handle and isn't enjoying (and if this isn't the case, I wonder if he knows this is the impression he's giving off by not shutting up about it).
LOL "no pain no gain".

stazi

Nightman
HSC
dyun said:
Allow me the honour of summing up the troll using his own words.

here comes irony!

In conclusion....
haha if he is a troll, as you put it, then you actually pwned yourself. trolls aren't serious, thus what he was posting was a joke. and we took the bait.

turtleface

HSC
engineering = most amount of work for a high future salary

commerce = least amount of work for higher salary

turtleface

HSC
watatank said:
Not sure what you mean by higher risk?

Isn't it obvious? They can afford to choose with such a high applications: positions ratio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)