Which Major? (2 Viewers)

akqjt

HSC
Finance if you want to be a rich banker. Note requires getting great marks.

Accounting if you want to take the safe route.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I would say finance to become a bigshot corporate lawyer. But I'm just a nooby 09er.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
finance or actuarial studies (if you can handle it)

(source: professor guy at UNSW open day)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Most popular major with Law would be either Accounting or Finance. You should go with whatever that you are more passionate about (but then again, you wouldn't really know because we have just graduated from high school).

Finance major would be useful for job opportunities in banking sector or in other financial institutions but accounting major is great in general as it is in demand and required by many businesses.

Just keep in mind that both are excellent majors. Personally, I would choose Accounting as I have heard people talking about how poor UNSW is when it comes to teaching Finance major (which is one of the reason why I am going for Actuarial single major with maths + stats <3)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
finance or actuarial studies (if you can handle it)

(source: professor guy at UNSW open day)
Personally I reckon actuarial would be shit with law. No similarities whatsoever, just an extra degree.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
gahhh! what about those people who don't want to do something extremely maths orientated in their commerce degree?

Nathan: i think finance :)
Management and Marketing I imagine doesn't have a lot of maths

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Some of the comments I heard (cbf writing who it was for each comment but i can assure that it was diff person):

FINS1613

Ease: 8/10 -A lot of formulas to remember but it wasn't that hard
Lecturer: Zhian Chen-One word to describe him: Terrible...
Interest: 7/10- It was pretty interesting but the lectures were nearly unbearable.
Overall: 7.5/10
FINS1613
Ease: 4/10 - found it too be quite quite challenging. a lot of complex maths and theory jumbled together - argh.
Lecturer(s): 2.5/10 - the only reason why i persisted on going to lectures was because i knew i'd probs fail otherwise... zian is............................ just as monotonous as janet austin in legal...
Interest: 5/10 - umm certain elements of it were interesting, but other than that not much.
Overall: 4/10
FINS2643
Ease:7/10. most of the time it was'nt difficult but remembering everything in the end was quite difficult. especially for tax and superannuation.
Lecturer: 2/10Kingsley? fucking LOL
Interest: 8/10
Overall:7.5/10
FINS2624
Ease:5/10 hated the asessment criteria and we didnt get a proper feedback for all the assessments we did.
Lecturer: 3/10 Yip's lecture notes were exactly same as his textbook
Interests: 4/10
Overall: 4/10
However, I did select the negative comments but they are much more common than positive ones.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Most common by far is finance followed by accounting. I personally cannot stand accounting (though I did okay in it) so I would choose finance...lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Most common by far is finance followed by accounting. I personally cannot stand accounting (though I did okay in it) so I would choose finance...lol
Is Finance more maths-orientated than accounting?

akqjt

HSC
Maybe I was asking which people you heard talking? I'd appreciate it if you could edit your post though, I usually PM OP's my answer but it's late and I slipped up. Thanks

Yes finance has more maths than accounting but the maths is just plugging in numbers to formulas - nothing exceptionally difficult. Hardest part is probably remember the amount of formulas(some subjects like FINS1613 and 2624 have a lot) or gaining an intuitive understanding of them.

Simo91

HSC
Should I try to do some 2U maths before I start uni? because i'm interested in finance but only did general. So would I struggle with how complex the maths gets? or is it like akqjt said, more about plugging numbers into the formulas.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Should I try to do some 2U maths before I start uni? because i'm interested in finance but only did general. So would I struggle with how complex the maths gets? or is it like akqjt said, more about plugging numbers into the formulas.
Nah, not much point... really

I was talking to a lecturer one day and he said that he will start you guys from the very beginning and besides if you look at 2 unit stuff, there is hardly any finance-related stuff apart from one topic which is quite easy to grasp

Simo91

HSC
Well I did do 2U for about half of year 12 before I made the decision that it was dragging me down too much to be of any benefit. But I suppose if I put in the effort I should be rewarded for it.

Cheers Namu.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The mathematics in accounting involves nothing more than basic arithmetic such as percentages, addition, multiplication etc and perhaps some statistics. Finance (even economics) on the other hand is much more sophisticated mathematically because it involves idealised modelling which requires foundations in probability, statistics, series, calculus etc. However, most finance units these days are much more "dumbed down" mathematically than they used to be anyway...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
The mathematics in accounting involves nothing more than basic arithmetic such as percentages, addition, multiplication etc and perhaps some statistics. Finance (even economics) on the other hand is much more sophisticated mathematically because it involves idealised modelling which requires foundations in probability, statistics, series, calculus etc. However, most finance units these days are much more "dumbed down" mathematically than they used to be anyway...
However funnily enough, you don't need that much mathematical rigour in the real world unless you are pricing instruments, of which then you would need a phd.

manutd8

HSC
Nah, not much point... really

I was talking to a lecturer one day and he said that he will start you guys from the very beginning and besides if you look at 2 unit stuff, there is hardly any finance-related stuff apart from one topic which is quite easy to grasp
hey dude, whats that topic called?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Thanks to everyone for their input.

It seems that accounting & finance seem to be the best options for me. I don't think I'd do actuarial - purely because I don't want to be an actuary and I don't think it'll give me any more of an advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)