Who does Musicianship?? (1 Viewer)

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
Im doing my 5th grade atm.
I hate it.
And i dont tend to concetrate well, becasue i just find it so tedious and boring, so the stuff just goes straight through my head.
anyone else doing or has done 5th grade?
I got distinction in 4th so im like 'yeh may as well keep on going.'
BUT I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS GRADE!
i have to do it for my 8th grade certificate though.... stupid

worbonom

HSC
ekdownie said:
I've finished 6th grade. Just hang in there, it gets better. :D

Concerti

HSC
ekdownie said:
I hate it.
And i dont tend to concetrate well, becasue i just find it so tedious and boring, so the stuff just goes straight through my head.
i got my LmusA at the beginning of this year..
I didnt know you could get distinction for 1-8 grades

Thought you could only get it for musicianship

lucyG

HSC
ekdownie said:
I hate it.
Ooh yeah I totally hated it! I did my fifth grade musicianship this year. So glad it's over. Getting my 8th Grade was the only reason I was doing it too. I was getting so sick of Art Songs and Lieder and Chamber Music and Stringed Instruments of the Orchestra! And I had to compose melodies over and over again cuz my teacher always found faults in them. Argh!!! And the pieces that we have to analyse... what a pain in the arse. I even tried memorising some of the German words in Wings of Song and Der Lindenbaum just so I could tell the difference between each section!

HSC
lucyG said:
Ooh yeah I totally hated it! I did my fifth grade musicianship this year. So glad it's over. Getting my 8th Grade was the only reason I was doing it too. I was getting so sick of Art Songs and Lieder and Chamber Music and Stringed Instruments of the Orchestra! And I had to compose melodies over and over again cuz my teacher always found faults in them. Argh!!! And the pieces that we have to analyse... what a pain in the arse. I even tried memorising some of the German words in Wings of Song and Der Lindenbaum just so I could tell the difference between each section!
Yeah musicianship grade 5 is pretty bad. I really don't like Lieder/Art Songs, and not a big fan of folk music or Haydn either. I got 89 in the exam though so I was pretty happy with that...

Just hang in there! When you have your shiny grade eight piano certificate it will all be worth it.

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
Finished grade 6, doing grade 7

I used to HATE musicianship, but once you get an awesome teacher, then you'll like it more

Just hang in there. :)

Aural component ftw though xD

icecoffee

HSC
Oh God i hated musicianship. Absolutely hated it. I finished the 5th grade one but that's about it. I kicked ass in the theory section about the lieder/art songs and such but the aural component was not so good. LOL

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
i got my LmusA at the beginning of this year..
I didnt know you could get distinction for 1-8 grades

Thought you could only get it for musicianship
um i am talking about musicianship you did know?
what the hell!!?? i thought musicianship only went up to like 7th grade??? LMusA what the hell??

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
i think what i gained from this thread was that ...

'its rap and horrible everyone hates it...its hard...but just hang in there!!!!'

hahaha.
cheers guys, heaps of help!

chichichip

HSC
um i am talking about musicianship you did know?
what the hell!!?? i thought musicianship only went up to like 7th grade??? LMusA what the hell??
Of course you can! What grade did you think musicianship teachers did up to? xD
And I think she means LMus Piano or whatever instrument she plays... I doubt she has done LMus musicianship :p (she might have, i dunno :p )

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
no! THEORY ftw!

the theory you learn in m'ship is one grade lower than theory. so like the stuff you learn in 6thg mship is only 5th g theory.

im doing 6th theory atm, does that mean im at 7th mship? :D

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I did musicianship up to 3rd grade.
And theory up to 4th grade.

I had a verging-on-mental-illness teacher who decided she would teach me both. And that i would do the exams for both.

I ended up doing one more grade of theory.
Who knows why.

chichichip

HSC
no! THEORY ftw!

the theory you learn in m'ship is one grade lower than theory. so like the stuff you learn in 6thg mship is only 5th g theory.

im doing 6th theory atm, does that mean im at 7th mship? :D
Not necessarily.
I'd say that it's equal, because say, in all of the musicianship grades until 4th grade, you have to learn both words and melody for the set pieces, while theory, you only learn melody.

And if it was one grade higher, than I suppose the AMEB would state that, in order to get (eg) an AMus, you would need 5th Grade Musicianship, and 4th Grade Theory. :p

MUSICIANSHIP FTW! :music:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Not necessarily.
I'd say that it's equal, because say, in all of the musicianship grades until 4th grade, you have to learn both words and melody for the set pieces, while theory, you only learn melody.

And if it was one grade higher, than I suppose the AMEB would state that, in order to get (eg) an AMus, you would need 5th Grade Musicianship, and 4th Grade Theory. :p

MUSICIANSHIP FTW! :music:
I've got to say, i found theory alot harder, having done both.
But i enjoyed Musicianship more. Not sure why. Maybe because it felt easier and less of a strain.

chelc

HSC
I used to do it, passed my grade 7 exam a couple of years back, i found all of it really enjoyable :) and didnt mind the amount work i had to put in for it. ended up doing 3 musicology vivas for my HSC last year, so i must of enjoyed it.

sparkerasp

HSC
I hate it.
Ride out this year. Try not to think so negatively. I didn't like some of the stuff either, but learn it, do the exam and you can forget about it after that (some of the stuff is actually quite useful) :)

As some people say here, 6th grade is more interesting than 5. I'll leave you to find out why.

1337c4mp3r

HSC
musicinship and theory is sooo useful for doing music 2 course. only problem is that while u may have other ppl in the class learning harmony, you end up bludging...

unfortunately i did 6th grade musicianship without any plans to do Lmus! Amus is as FAR as im going =S and im failing at it now

true that 6th is more interesting, but personally i feel 4th grade was my favourite.

harmony and melody in 6th grade was a pain. requires hell of a lot of practice and patience

kyokaku92

HSC
I never did musicianship but theory.
5th grade is a killer... bloody 3 hr exam (equal to a HSC exam) I hate composing those cadence harmonies and 8 bar melodies, my teacher always seemed to find a fault in them.
I really don't know how I scraped a Credit.

6th grade is much better... you learn about the classical music world... the cadences are a killer though :haha:

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
For everyone saying 6th grade is better than 5th grade...

Yes, maybe in terms of 'Form and History', but for harmony and aural it's definitely harder. Then again, I got full marks in the aural section (perfect pitch)
In 'Form and History' you do Chopin, Schumann and Debussy, and the woodwind instruments. And you also revisit Chamber Music again. Grade 7, you do Symphonies, Overtures, Brass instruments and two orchestral works. And to add to the harmony etc burden, you also have to do dominant 7th cadences, modulation and two part writing for specific instruments.
And the set work for Grade 6 (Brahms quartet) is far better than Erlking, Vagabond and Mozart String Quintet (set works when I did it in 2010).
You need to just put up with the harmony, aural and melody, because all in all, it makes you a better musician. It especially helps if you are doing Music 2. In fact, at my school, we got told that if we wanted to do well in Music 2, we needed to have done at least Grade 5 Musicianship.
Think what you want, but I actually enjoyed Grade 5 more than Grade 4, mainly because I don't really like Baroque music all too much. But I enjoyed Grade 6 more than Grade 5 because it focuses a lot more on the Romantic Period which I absolutely love.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)