Who got 100 UAI in 2008? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
Hmm thats not fair!

We had five on 99.95 who should have been 100 if it hadnt been for english scaling badly this year. Menzies (topped 4maths), Letcher (topped two subjects, state listed in like three more), Vallance (topped two, state listed in two more), Cameron (state listed in three). Plus our dux, Sastrawan, only got 99.95. which is like the first time a dux hasnt got 100 in years i think.
Topping one or two subjects for HSC doesn't mean that they should get 100 UAI....

georgefren

HSC
Dp, leave menzies alone. You realise he would have got around 397/400 scaled for his other subjects. English (at 89) alone dragged him down another like twenty or so scaled marks. Poor guy.

Any namu, topping two and state listing in a couple more usually deserves it in my books. And menzies deserved it because the guy is a freak of nature. Seriously, the guy is like laurie field level intelligent. He just writes really slowly - hence essays are too short to get band 6 marks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
Dp, leave menzies alone. You realise he would have got around 397/400 scaled for his other subjects. English (at 89) alone dragged him down another like twenty or so scaled marks. Poor guy.

Any namu, topping two and state listing in a couple more usually deserves it in my books. And menzies deserved it because the guy is a freak of nature. Seriously, the guy is like laurie field level intelligent. He just writes really slowly - hence essays are too short to get band 6 marks.
Did menzies top two?

And prob not...no one would get even close to laurie except swain...

wait...thompson was another crazy one.

Last edited:

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Sarah182 said:
Plus all the 100s....
Ruse is crazy. The competition must be overwhelming.
Who gives a shit though really. I mean at the end of the day if u get into your course, then welldone. No one at uni will give a shit bout ur UAI, completely different ballgame. Besides, i know kids that could have most definitely topped the state in subjects (some people 2-3 each) just didnt care enough or were to lazy.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
addikaye03 said:
Who gives a shit though really. I mean at the end of the day if u get into your course, then welldone. No one at uni will give a shit bout ur UAI, completely different ballgame. Besides, i know kids that could have most definitely topped the state in subjects (some people 2-3 each) just didnt care enough or were to lazy.
But 100 and 99.95 are quite different. Along with such results, you get scholarships and other stuff...

dp624

HSC
well pardon me lol
when i met him in year 10 he was like
no shit dude im gna get 100 uai you wait.

i'm serious. but yea

and @ addikaye03: to top state in subjects -> requirement is dedication. i dont think the 2-3 people you know cut it.
by your criteria half the state can top it

@ namu:
100 and 99.95 uai dont do much in terms of scholarships. you get the same either way (the auto-scholarships, 10k)
its to look pretty, lol

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lyounamu said:
What if the HSC system (referring to UAI system especially) changes like the last time?

I don't think anyone will beat his record. It's just too hard...(however possible of course). State ranks in all his subjects (except one) is just crazy (and four of them are 1sts in the state with top 5 for the rest and 11th)

I am sure the system like UAI system will probably change in a decade's time and in that 10 years of time or so (prob more), beating Laurie will be like beating Roger Federer at his prime time on his favourite court.
I really thought Joy Thompson achieved something like 497 aggregate (possibly higher) in 2005? She got:
6th in Biology
4th in Chemistry
1st in Comparative Literature Distinction Course
1st in English Advanced
5th in Mathematics
1st in Cosmology Distinction Course (in year 11)
2nd in Philosophy Distinction Course (in year 10)

That's pretty much state ranking for over 10 units...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
well pardon me lol
when i met him in year 10 he was like
no shit dude im gna get 100 uai you wait.

i'm serious. but yea

and @ addikaye03: to top state in subjects -> requirement is dedication. i dont think the 2-3 people you know cut it.
by your criteria half the state can top it

@ namu:
100 and 99.95 uai dont do much in terms of scholarships. you get the same either way (the auto-scholarships, 10k)
its to look pretty, lol
what do you mean? For usyd and unsw, 99.95+ can guanrantee you the automatic scholarships. For 99.90 alone, you won't get usyd one...

dp624

HSC
Trebla said:
I really thought Joy Thompson achieved something like 497 aggregate (possibly higher)? She got:
6th in Biology
4th in Chemistry
1st in English Advanced
5th in Mathematics
yeah, 497-8 seems about right for her

georgefren

HSC
Haa but you see, Menzies was our dux then in year 10. And then he slowly got overtaken, by marinos and then yeow and then sastrawan.

Okay, as a person hes arrogant, overbearing, and annoying. But i do rate him nonetheless as a genius. I mean, hes the only guy to get 100 percent in any of our 4u maths papers that i know of (our maths papers are harder than the hsc on purpose) including laurie field.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
what do you mean? For usyd and unsw, 99.95+ can guanrantee you the automatic scholarships. For 99.90 alone, you won't get usyd one...
i thought your post said 100 uai got you scholarships
cos it doens,t not really, lol

sirfeathers

HSC
georgefren said:

i don't think anyone's trying to put anyone down - 99.95 is still super amazing, we all know. But 100 is 100 and 99.95 is 99.95 and so on. The UAI is a limited instrument but that's all we've got. The point is not what what you "could" do but what you "do" do. All the people in this thread with 100 "did" it, and all the people with 99.95 were pretty damn close - they could have done it - but that's not the same thing and that's just how it is.

But I agree with you about Menzies - don't worry, he'll have many bigger and better opportunities to prove himself later on.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
dp624 said:
yeah, 497-8 seems about right for her
So wouldn't that mean this 'record' held by Laurie had been beaten before (if not at least equalled)?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
I really thought Joy Thompson achieved something like 497 aggregate (possibly higher)? She got:
6th in Biology
4th in Chemistry
1st in English Advanced
5th in Mathematics
Hm...that's hard...

So she got 3 100s

but for philo it probably equates to something like 98 scaled though and she should lose 1.5 for chem...

That shouldn't merit her 497...just close to that.

But I am not sure really.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Hm...that's hard...

So she got 3 100s

but for philo it probably equates to something like 98 scaled though and she should lose 1.5 for chem...

chem - top is 100
every rank under that, i think, is about 0.2
so 99.2 for chem
3x100s
and a 98.8 for bio

seems to be 478 on the dot.

and wow @ all those distinctions

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lyounamu said:
Hm...that's hard...

So she got 3 100s

Keep in mind that these are state rankings in a total of a whopping 14 units!!!! So 4 of those units (whichever led to lower scaled marks) were most likely not counted in her aggregate...

Btw, Joy Thompson did not do Extension 2 Maths, I think she only took Extension 1 so that 2 unit Maths mark was not excluded...(don't think her Maths Extension 1 mark was counted in her UAI lol)

Last edited:

sirfeathers

HSC
hey i'm actually curious to know, does anyone know what kindof tertiary/career paths any of these 100ers have? I'm guessing there's a lot of med and law in there...but yeh. just wondering

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
chem - top is 100
every rank under that, i think, is about 0.2
so 99.2 for chem
3x100s
and a 98.8 for bio

seems to be 478 on the dot.

and wow @ all those distinctions
That's just too hard to separate.

I mean even if we compare marks between laurie and her:

Laurie & joy
3x 100s both
99.6+ for mx2 99 for chem (according to your prediction)
98+ for english 98.x for bio (according to your prediction)

But is it going to be like that though?

Looking at 2005 scaling report: If she came 6th in bio, that's more like hihg 97 or low 98 course mark (since top is 99) and if you put that into einstein that's like 98 or less...

And about 4th in chem she prob got 98 aligned...and that gives her little bit less than 99 scaled.

Other way, Laurie should narrowly beat her.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Keep in mind that these are state rankings in a total of a whopping 14 units!!!! So 4 of those units (whichever led to lower scaled marks) were most likely not counted in her aggregate...

Btw, Joy Thompson did not do Extension 2 Maths, she only took Extension 1, I believe...
What about Laurie?

He had 12 units as state ranks. (his mark in 3 unit kills 5th in 2 unit maths....5th in 2 unit maths = low 99 = 98 scaled mark)

And he got 99-100 in 3 unit but not state rank. That should have given him very high scaled mark too like 99+ easily

EDIT: I think it's just too hard then because they are both at very high ends and we don't know how to separate each mark...

Let's just put Laurie as King and Amelia as Queen. That should settle everything.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sirfeathers said:
hey i'm actually curious to know, does anyone know what kindof tertiary/career paths any of these 100ers have? I'm guessing there's a lot of med and law in there...but yeh. just wondering
We have dp624 here that you can ask.

I think Laurie is doing advanced mathematics...

I am not too sure about other geniuses...

Oh wait, Jessica Tong wants to do med.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)