Who got 100 UAI in 2008? (1 Viewer)

James Cos

HSC
wow. nowadays it's not good enough to get just 100.00 UAI

it has to be a High Aggregate 100.00 UAI...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
James Cos said:
wow. nowadays it's not good enough to get just 100.00 UAI

it has to be a High Aggregate 100.00 UAI...
Lol, I didn't mean that. :p

For people like me, we can only dream. :cold:

100 UAI is basically the best it can get... But there are rankings within 100 UAI. :lol:

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Jessica is not beast enough.

Sen Lin is not simply cut-off in English & other subjects to match Laurie

Vincent - Hm...not sure but looking at his other subjects, no state ranks...I don't think he stood any chance.
I agree. I think by my estimates I beat sen, but that's besides the point
What I was saying is that it's possible to top two subjects in one year.
lyounamu said:
Yes the combination of those 3 people would have beaten Laurie's 497.x/500 but if you think about it, that's like coming first in all physics, chemistry, english and 4 unit maths. I mean, under no circumstance, that such thing is going to happen. Firstly, it's highly unlikely. VERY VERY unlikely. Topping one subject alone has some great element of luck into it really.. because you firstly need to:
  1. get a decent paper that suits you
  2. good condition of body, mind & soul (LOL)
  3. even pen that you use (LOL)
  4. every other thing that constitutes as "luck" really
So topping like 4-5 subjects requires the above criteria basically for the bloody 4-5 times!

Laurie is absolutely the best that anyone can really get (in regards to HSC).

Even this combination will not beat Laurie:
  1. 1st in 4 unit maths
  2. 1st in 3 unit maths
  3. 1st in physics
  4. 1st in chemistry
  5. no state rank in english
Even this combination will not beat Laurie:
  1. 1st in English Advanced
  2. 1st in 4 unit maths
  3. 1st in 3 unit maths
  4. 1st in some random subject that gives you 100 scaled
  5. no state rank in any other subject
In conclusion, it's just TOO hard to beat Laurie. I want to be optimistic that there can be, but it's just not going to happen...

We are not going to see someone in a real long time who even gets a state rank in both maths and english (maths being in the highest level such as 3 or 4 unit)
No state rank in english = 97, which may well TIE with Laurie (if it scales up like it think it does at that level)

No state rank in any other subject -> can possible be a 98 for subjects with 5-state ranks such as languages maybe.
Also you could not state rank for 4u and get like a 99.5 scaled.

I almost feel like repeating my HSC to try to beat him =P
It can be done, it's just really unlikely.

georgefren

HSC
Namu, im putting the pressure on you :)

But it wont be someone from our school this year because nobodys dominating every subject. See, you can spot people like laurie field because he topped internally pretty much EVERY subject he did every single year he was at school.

sirfeathers

HSC
dp624 said:
everything can be denied. =P
it's just that there's only been about 8 HSCs so far. So i'm betting, somewhere down the track, some weird combination of Sen Lin/Vincent Mok/Jessica Tong will come along and get 500. it won't be excessively hard either - two subjects a year, spread of 3 years can do wonders
lols

considering how each cohort is 'improving' i don't see why not
:eek:

dp624...i agree that this is very possible sometime in the future, but... for 99.9% of us, topping a subject, or coming anywhere near to topping a subject, is seen as a crazy mad amazing feat that even the best of us will struggle to achieve. i know that you got an amazing UAI at a high-achieving school and you should be proud of that, but it is a bit presumptuous to be shrugging off the difficulty of this feat.

anyways... yeah it would be easier to do well by spreading your subjects out over 2 or 3 years, but the question is... would you want to? I did my first HSC subject in Yr10, Maths 2U and 3U in Yr11 and everything else last year. And even though I still did really well back in Yr10, I wasn't topping the state or anything - and it turned out to be one of the subjects that didn't count towards my UAI this year. The thing is, I had much higher academic standards of myself in Yr12 than I did in Yr10. I thought I knew what hard work was in Yr10, but I really didn't, not until the hard bits of 3U started to kick in the next year. This, I think, is the biggest hurdle facing people who accelerate their studies 2+ years - sure, they may be brainy enough, but will they have the same study mentality as someone who has endured the rigour and stress of a full HSC workload over Yr11 and 12?

Of course you could go the other way, staying in school an extra 2 years. But all to get a scaled aggregate of 500? lol not me thankyou! especially since someone smart enough to get 500 over 2 or 3 yrs would still do pretty damn well in 1...

Last edited:

sirfeathers

HSC
dp624 said:
Lol, hmm
Jess Tong for English -> she's a maths beast too
this is very true. it said on her tutoring thread that she got 99 in one of the MXs and 100 in the other...both sides of that girl's brain work pretty well it seems

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
I agree. I think by my estimates I beat sen, but that's besides the point
What I was saying is that it's possible to top two subjects in one year.

No state rank in english = 97, which may well TIE with Laurie (if it scales up like it think it does at that level)

No state rank in any other subject -> can possible be a 98 for subjects with 5-state ranks such as languages maybe.
Also you could not state rank for 4u and get like a 99.5 scaled.

I almost feel like repeating my HSC to try to beat him =P
It can be done, it's just really unlikely.
Hm...that's not really true.

As exams are different every year so 97 in 2004 =/= 97 in some other year. And the different scaled mark is given to that specific year.

97 in 2004 for english = about 98 scaled. And in other years like this year, I don't think 97 was good enough for a state rank.

98 in languages can be either high or low really. Depends on what it is. But I know for sure that 98 in language =/= 98 scaled mark even for latin extension because a lot of people get that range. You really need a state rank to get 97+ scaled.... (according to 2008 scaling report 98 in latin continuers = bit lower than 97.x scaled which is lower than 98 scaled mark that laurie got for english)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
But I am hoping for some crazy dude coming out on top with top ranks in maths/english/whatever to get more than 497.x really

And sooner or later, that guy will be saluted as the HSC GOD and I will be his first disciple. :eek:

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
But I am hoping for some crazy dude coming out on top with top ranks in maths/english/whatever to get more than 497.x really

And sooner or later, that guy will be saluted as the HSC GOD and I will be his first disciple. :eek:
lol yea
haha

@jess tong's results: or maybe she studies her ass off...lol
POI: did you know she went to ruse in yr7 then dropped out to go to MLC...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
lol yea
haha

@jess tong's results: or maybe she studies her ass off...lol
That's actually really fascinating.

But I would have done the same if I experienced Ruse exactly the way that my mates described it to be.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's actually really fascinating.

But I would have done the same if I experienced Ruse exactly the way that my mates described it to be.
hm, so what did they say?
i'm interested, lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
hm, so what did they say?
i'm interested, lol
place where the competition is stimulated to the maximum
place where the geniuses perceive themselves to be retards
place where one mark determines everything
place where you have no social life.
place where you go to library where couples meet all the time
.... some other really stupid comments

I know that most of them are just stereotypes made by some jealous retards. But it's probably true that your school is pretty damn competitive (and that again suggests how well you guys did in HSC this year). I don't like too much competition...I will get too much stressed and die...(seriously I will)

I am still surprised by the fact that your school produced 9 100 UAI students. That's just too much....didn't share a thing with Hornsby Girls, Sydney Girls and North Sydney Girls...(I think)

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
lol hmm yea it's very competitive if you want the top 5-10 placings, but after that it eases off i think.
the competition fosters a good learning environment imo - if you want 99.90+, its sorta the place to go.

the others aren't really true from my experience. but 1 mark determines everything - that's true for your 2u maths too, lol

and yea, i dont know why the girls' schools didn't get any. maybe ruse had all their top students? lol
but all 9 100s from ruse were in ruse from the beginning - ie yr7.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
lyounamu said:

Why does it only have to be a dude? lol

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
dp624 said:
perhaps she didnt like to study agriculture or was offered a scholarship

dp624

HSC
Deltan said:
perhaps she didnt like to study agriculture or was offered a scholarship
nah she had other reasons lol
i dno if i should say but yea

shaon0

HSC
I have to side with dp624.
It's very unlikely that someone can get an aggregate of 500 in his/her's HSC but its still possible.
After all, Laurie is not the smartest person in the world. Is he?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I have to side with dp624.
It's very unlikely that someone can get an aggregate of 500 in his/her's HSC but its still possible.
After all, Laurie is not the smartest person in the world. Is he?
lol, have you been reading at all?

there is no "side". Everyone conforms to the chance that aggregate of 500 is possible.

And no, Laurie is not the smartest person but how can you measure smartness really? What is it based on? In terms of HSC, he is the smartest guy - no doubt about that.

We have just been talking if it is really likely in few years to come that laurie's record gets beaten.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)