Who got 100 UAI in 2008? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
if he did all 10 units in the one year, u reckon he would've done as well?
Hard to say, but i'd bet that he'd've done a bit worse

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
4jess7lov said:
he did like history last year and other stuff a year early and got high high 90s...cant remmeber if he got state rankings i think he toped 2 things last year from memory.

wat a freak
Nope, he topped one subject last year - Modern History. He topped 2 this year - Society & Culture and Comparative Literature.

So he basically got 100 scaled, 100 scaled, 99 scaled from 3 subjects he topped and he probably got like 98 or something like that from Drama and 49 or thereabout from EX1 and yeah the list goes one.

I reckon he lost about 4-5 scaled marks altogether making him the top performance student this year.

dp624

HSC
We don't know whether topping a certain distinction course counts as topping the entire course.
Remember they are scaled as one.
Seeing as how in CompLit only 3 people got band6s we can't tell for sure what his aggregate in that is. Perhaps the person who topped the combined Distinction course cohorts came from one of the other two.

So he may not have gotten that 100 scaled in CompLit

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
We don't know whether topping a certain distinction course counts as topping the entire course.
Remember they are scaled as one.
Seeing as how in CompLit only 3 people got band6s we can't tell for sure what his aggregate in that is. Perhaps the person who topped the combined Distinction course cohorts came from one of the other two.

So he may not have gotten that 100 scaled in CompLit
I have heard from the lecturers on the Distinction Course Information Day that they give out 100 to the top students to each course. And progressively moving down from then (by different mark to each course).

I am guessing from that statement that every person who topped the course would get 100 and then the second person from each course would get like different result (e.g. 95 for Com L, 98 for Philo and 97 for Cosmo) considering that Philo has the most number of students with Cosmo being second.

But I am sure they use a system that is overally fair for all students...I am not ENTIRELY sure.

And it is pretty sensible that many 100 scaled marks are given out to people in the distinction course considering how academically advanced most people are in the course. (100 UAI students Nitin Mohan, Daniel Swain and we have heaps of 99.90 like James Sin, 99.85 Simon and the list goes on....)

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
If you say so =P
But two years ago or something
only 1 person in complit got a band6.
it'd be kinda weird if it was 100 for 1st, then, say, 88 for the next one

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
If you say so =P
But two years ago or something
only 1 person in complit got a band6.
it'd be kinda weird if it was 100 for 1st, then, say, 88 for the next one
LOL

I am not entirely sure. That's what they said during the lecture.

I am sure the reporting scheme would be much more complicated than that (like giving 100 to top and stuff like that). But it makes sense how Swain would/should get 100 scaled mark considering that he is actually the top student from the entire Distinction Course (no offence to Nitin Mohan but he probably knows it). I mean, let's face it. Swain got first in Modern as yr 11 and on top of that, he gained 1-2 another state ranks in English Extension 1 and English Extension 2 or something? (I am sure he mentioned that part on some UAI thread for 2007 HSC).

Then he gets these riduculous state ranks in Society & Culture and Comp Literature in the following year (And I thought he would be doing some maths or science this year...whew....).

georgefren

HSC
wow. he topped three 2u subjects and state listed in another two 1u subjects?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
wow. he topped three 2u subjects and state listed in another two 1u subjects?
4th in drama in 2007
2nd in eex1 in 2007
4th in history extension in 2007
1st in society & culture in 2008
1st in com literature in 2008
1st in modern history in 2007

excuse my previous stat

that's quite comparable to

laurie field's
1st in classical greek continuers
1st in class greek extension
1st in latin continuers
1st in latin extension
4th in mx2
3rd in physics
11th in eng advanced

IN THE SAME YEAR

EDIT: damn, laurence got state rankings for all his subjects except mx1!!! Daniel swain = all state ranks for all subjects except english extension and english advanced.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
lol, pardon me if i sigh in relief that noone has cleanswept the maths and science
Swain did it for humanities
Fields for languages

Wherefore art thou science beasts?
lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
lol, pardon me if i sigh in relief that noone has cleanswept the maths and science
Swain did it for humanities
Fields for languages

Wherefore art thou science beasts?
lol
Vincent Mok?

1st in Physcis
1st in Chemistry
3rd in Biology

georgefren

HSC
Haha i know laurie field! He was head of debating with us. He was dux every year of our school from year 7 to 12; First time its been done for about twenty years i think.

Bloody genius.

And had a really hot gf at the time too. Wow.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
georgefren said:
Haha i know laurie field! He was head of debating with us. He was dux every year of our school from year 7 to 12; First time its been done for about twenty years i think.

Bloody genius.

Hm, that's interesting. Great minds attract great looks. :)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
georgefren said:

Bloody genius.

Laurie Field is a genius. At SGS St Ives Prep he was always dux each year as well, absolute genius.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^Well, no one can deny that he prob got the highest UAI aggregate in the history....497-498/500 or something?

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
^Well, no one can deny that he prob got the highest UAI aggregate in the history....497-498/500 or something?
everything can be denied. =P
it's just that there's only been about 8 HSCs so far. So i'm betting, somewhere down the track, some weird combination of Sen Lin/Vincent Mok/Jessica Tong will come along and get 500. it won't be excessively hard either - two subjects a year, spread of 3 years can do wonders
lols

considering how each cohort is 'improving' i don't see why not

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
it's just that there's only been about 8 HSCs so far. So i'm betting, somewhere down the track, some weird combination of Sen Lin/Vincent Mok/Jessica Tong will come along and get 500. it won't be excessively hard either - two subjects a year, spread of 3 years can do wonders
lols

Agreed. It'll happen sometime soon, we are improving in exam results year after year, and the person that does get that elusive 500 will be dubbed and remembered as "Take that scaling system, you can't beat me" (or aka "Supreme Ruler of HSC" :D). Only time will tell.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
lols

I wonder who can possibly do that. I once thought that Swain would be bloody damn close to beating him considering how he is a humanities guy (and English MUST count towards UAI).

I mean, Laurie lost 2 marks from English (Advanced) and like fraction from other 5 subjects or so. And look at Laurie's achievement. That can be the best it can seriously get. 6 units of 100% scaled marks and 2 units of mx2 which should be like 99.5 scaled marks and 97 in English Advanced which got him 98 scaled or so. No one, I can seriously guarantee that, is going to beat Laurie. You gotta be either some crazy humanities dude with some crazy other results in other 8 units or so. Jessica Tong could have been close but her results in other subjects apart from English are just not really good enough to place her even close to Laurie's result.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
I wonder who can possibly do that. I once thought that Swain would be bloody damn close to beating him considering how he is a humanities guy (and English MUST count towards UAI).

I mean, Laurie lost 2 marks from English (Advanced) and like fraction from other 5 subjects or so. And look at Laurie's achievement. That can be the best it can seriously get. 6 units of 100% scaled marks and 2 units of mx2 which should be like 99.5 scaled marks and 97 in English Advanced which got him 98 scaled or so. No one, I can seriously guarantee that, is going to beat Laurie. You gotta be either some crazy humanities dude with some crazy other results in other 8 units or so. Jessica Tong could have been close but her results in other subjects apart from English are just not really good enough to place her even close to Laurie's result.
Lol, hmm
It's been shown that it's possible to top two related subjects in a year.
Jess Tong for English -> she's a maths beast too
Sen Lin for maths -> he's good at english
and Vincent Mok I assume is a darn good allrounder.

So, say you did chem and phys in year 10 and totally neglected your SC. I can't see any reason why, with enough talent and study, you couldn't top both.
The same goes for both Maths in year 11.
And english in year 12.
All I'm saying is that it's doable.
And i'll place money on someone to be Fields one day. It's only been 8 years so far, and the HSC may survive for a long time yet.

And I think it won't be a humanities person who does it. I think it's a logical person (ie sc, mt) who manages to state rank in english

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Lol, hmm
It's been shown that it's possible to top two related subjects in a year.
Jess Tong for English -> she's a maths beast too
Sen Lin for maths -> he's good at english
and Vincent Mok I assume is a darn good allrounder.

So, say you did chem and phys in year 10 and totally neglected your SC. I can't see any reason why, with enough talent and study, you couldn't top both.
The same goes for both Maths in year 11.
And english in year 12.
All I'm saying is that it's doable.
And i'll place money on someone to be Fields one day. It's only been 8 years so far, and the HSC may survive for a long time yet.

And I think it won't be a humanities person who does it. I think it's a logical person (ie sc, mt) who manages to state rank in english
Jessica is not beast enough.

Sen Lin is not simply cut-off in English & other subjects to match Laurie

Vincent - Hm...not sure but looking at his other subjects, no state ranks...I don't think he stood any chance.

Yes the combination of those 3 people would have beaten Laurie's 497.x/500 but if you think about it, that's like coming first in all physics, chemistry, english and 4 unit maths. I mean, under no circumstance, that such thing is going to happen. Firstly, it's highly unlikely. VERY VERY unlikely. Topping one subject alone has some great element of luck into it really.. because you firstly need to:
  1. get a decent paper that suits you
  2. good condition of body, mind & soul (LOL)
  3. even pen that you use (LOL)
  4. every other thing that constitutes as "luck" really
So topping like 4-5 subjects requires the above criteria basically for the bloody 4-5 times!

Laurie is absolutely the best that anyone can really get (in regards to HSC).

Even this combination will not beat Laurie:
  1. 1st in 4 unit maths
  2. 1st in 3 unit maths
  3. 1st in physics
  4. 1st in chemistry
  5. no state rank in english
Even this combination will not beat Laurie:
  1. 1st in English Advanced
  2. 1st in 4 unit maths
  3. 1st in 3 unit maths
  4. 1st in some random subject that gives you 100 scaled
  5. no state rank in any other subject
In conclusion, it's just TOO hard to beat Laurie. I want to be optimistic that there can be, but it's just not going to happen...

We are not going to see someone in a real long time who even gets a state rank in both maths and english (maths being in the highest level such as 3 or 4 unit)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)