Who got elected onto the union? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Newbie said:
the gender card was used by belinda bentley in the unsw union elections

poor thing got annihilated by the 4 candidates with real policies
GG UNSW:p

Lauren actually had policies, and didn't play the gender card as hard as the Katy. Katy, if she did have policies, she didn't promote them well.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
katy did have hot chicks promoting her. Does that count as a policy?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
katy did have hot chicks promoting her. Does that count as a policy?
Haha her campaign should have run under the slogan "Katy: I'd hit it!"

stazi

Nightman
HSC
withoutaface said:
Haha her campaign should have run under the slogan "Katy: I'd hit it!"
You mean it didn't? That's the impression her 'call-girls' gave to me. One of them was madly flirting with me. It was obviously a campaign tactic, as i was having a bad hair day at the time.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
withoutaface said:
I had one kick me in the bum at Manning afterwards:p
sexually?

its funny, usually i agree with techie, but not this time. its almost like the labor left goes with anything the labor left says.
Which is why I will most likely be running as an independent when I'm going for union.
Vote stas in 2 years time :)
No policies thought up of yet, as I want to see how VSU affects uni.

I will, however, try and change the affirmative action 3-woman thing.
I won't campaign saying that this policy is rediculous, as I would just get called a sexist and lose all my female vote, but I will argue saying that at least a 5% vote should be compulsory.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I've raised this very issue with lots of people from the Labor Left. The only reply I ever get is that "it's the exact same argument the Liberals give". Brilliant.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
btw, phanatical, when I run for it, im actually going to support the fact that the con is completely different to the main campus. Try and get some differentiated policies. Also union fee cuts, as you use less services. As long as you stop whining about how the union hates you. How you shouldnt pay fees.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The thing is that because I am involved in the main campus politics, my opponents are using Con funding to threaten me out. Current Union President Sam Crosby threatened to cut Con funding dramatically if I did not withdraw from the election I contested against Rose Jackson.

I will support candidates who will allow the Con to secede from the Union AND the SRC.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I will not support that. The con is part of the university of Sydney.
I will however support cuts based on services that Con students require. Likewise for main campus students, you will be able to pay for a particular service for the year (eg. $50 gets you the catering package with subsidised meals for the year, $10,0000 gets you a sports facility package etc.)
Also, i think with this strategy people are more likely to pay the full fee, especially if its cheaper than individual packages on offer and they can see that they would purchase a lot of packages which they will use themselves.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rose Jackson's President's Report in Honi Soit said:
The fact is that during my campaign for SRC President, I had “Rose is a Slut” written in the graffiti tunnel. It was written at various places around the University that I gave my boyfriend thrush. The truth is that every female candidate running for election over the last few years has had to put up with this. The fact is that it makes you feel disgusting and violated. The truth is that when I saw it I burst into tears.
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Everyone gets shit, it's not female specific. If you get upset, guess what bitch? You shouldn't be in politics.
The reality is that until we have things like affirmative action this is unlikely to change. The fact is that if it doesn’t change we are heading in a dangerous direction.The truth is that that at Manning Bar this week some guy asked me if I wore underwear, following that up with some disgusting remark on my appearance.
I'm sure queer candidates get asked whether they're the butch or the bitch. I know from personal experience that Liberals get told they're scum who want to kill the union to their faces. Again, learn to cope. If you're going to complain then stay the fuck out of politics.
The fact is the emails calling me a whore, a slag, a harlot (who still says that?), and worse.
If it wasn't those it would be dickmunch, fuckstick or annoying leftist arsehole. You are insulted because you shit people off, and would still be insulted if you were male, albeit the insults used would be different, but they still mean the exact same thing.

In any case, Ms Jackson. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
I will not support that. The con is part of the university of Sydney.
So is the Sydney College of the Arts. They have their own independent Union, which provides them with greatly increased services to those we receive at the Con. Spending per student at SCA is FAR higher than spending per student at the Con, despite the fact that they only have a student body of 650. Ours is over 700, over 800 if we also count the Arts Music unit.

It is my belief, and a belief shared by my colleagues at the Conservatorium and the SCA, that by establishing an independent Union, SRC and Arts fund (to replace the incredibly wasteful SU Sport - whose spending at the Con was a grand total of $100 last year) designed to represent Creative Arts (The Con) and Fine Arts (SCA), we will be able to spend student fees with far greater consideration of the unique needs of students in our disciplines. Student issues at campuses such as ours greatly differ from student issues at the Main campus, and we believe it is better to make up 50% of our SRC, than to not have a single representative on a council of almost 50.

jpr333

HSC
I agree I don't want to be like China and Taiwan, or Indonesia and East Timor or Germany and Poland (LoL). Let them secede bitches!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Feminist Honi Soit said:
[in reference to women] maybe they really are smarter?
And maybe men are more suitable to hold political positions?

jpr333

HSC
I am sick to death of these pro-women affirmative action-esque 'studies' 'proving' girls are smarter, more mature and better at multi-tasking (wow they can cook and clean???? joking :p). When it comes to a lot of things women are very immature (eg sex) and they are worse at other subjects (hello maths), I think men just don't like school work as much (or organise). You are not smarter ok women?!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
jpr333 said:
I am sick to death of these pro-women affirmative action-esque 'studies' 'proving' girls are smarter, more mature and better at multi-tasking (wow they can cook and clean???? joking :p). When it comes to a lot of things women are very immature (eg sex) and they are worse at other subjects (hello maths), I think men just don't like school work as much (or organise). You are not smarter ok women?!
I'll just rehash an email I sent over the Education Action Group mailing list, in response to Rose Jackson's call for Affirmative Action:

That's brilliant, Rose. Take away any credibility women have as individuals with ideas, and brand them as nothing more than people who can't get themselves elected to Board without the saving grace of the wonderful SRC. The fact is that when you have token positions on Union Board for women, it takes away any credibility these people may has as representatives. As far as I can tell, women have no difficulty getting themselves elected to Board - if my memory serves me right, Lauren Hendry-Parsons and Katy Fernandez came first and second in the Union elections. They got elected without affirmative action, and will be considered by the student body to be as legitimate as the other candidates who got on. If there's even a suggestion that they had unfair advantages over the male candidates, then they will not have the respect of the students.

Rose, IF your goal were to achieve equal rights for men and women, then you'd know perfectly well that "affirmative action", or "positive discrimination" is nothing more than discrimination by one group against another. What I want to know is why should we stop at women? I am more disadvantaged as an Asian male from Greystanes, than you are as a white woman from the North Shore. But why stop at race? Let's have a token Goth on the Board, because everybody knows Goths are discriminated against in society. Ooh, let's even invite an Evil Cultist to sit on the Board. But let's draw the line at representation for music students, because we don't give a shit about them.

Then again, everybody on this mailing list knows perfectly well your intentions have never been to achieve "Equal rights".

AQ

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i feel inadequate, i know hardly anything about student politics

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
An interesting thread, although it was a lot to try and read through at 2am.

Funnily enough, I really sat this years elections out. I arrived on campus on polling day, having forgotten what all these people were crowding around for, so I can't really comment on any of the policies of many of the candidates..

The groupthink theory: as a member of Labor Left, I should probably have voted for Angus - but i've never really liked him, or gotten along with him, and I don't find him particularly capable. So I didn't vote for him. Sure, its encouraged that all members of the party vote in the same way, but its usually because we share beliefs.

Phanatical, you and I will never agree on gender issues, or Rose Jackson issues, or many issues at all probably, but your idea of having a separate union for other campuses does have some merit.

Liberal voters: the 'Fuck Off' tshirts were always targeted more at John Howard and his posse, than any of the student liberal voters. And come on, they had cool blue fluro writing... so fashionable...

Melbournian: you sat out too? High five brotha. Good to see us all putting our Government subject training to good use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)