Who got jibbed by the Board of Studies in Modern History (1 Viewer)

Andredj

HSC
Hi, I am not sure maybe its just my school all I know is that my school assessment mark, in modern history was downed by 4 or r5%, and another guy in my class was downed around 10% from like 96 to 86 (another person I know of marks in the class has had a similar treatment). To make matters worse, we both 78 in the HSC exam, which I think is impossible considering the effort I put in, and that the other guy, to my knowledge has never got lower than the very high 80s. This not to mention he has received an award for written and spoken english, as well as for his skills in debating. ( I am talking about Board of Studies Marks)

Does anyone know whats happening? Has anyone else had the same treatment?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
If it happened to other people in your class then the problem was probably with your school assessment tasks. It's your teachers responsibility to not mark you too leniently throughout the entire course. At the end of school assessments, teachers have to appropriately scale your final school assessment mark that they submit to the board. It's one of the hardest jobs they have. Sometimes they work it out really well, sometimes they fuck it up.

I think what happened in your case is just that. You 'underperformed' in the exam in comparison with the rest of the statewide cohort because your school marks were too leniently marked which made you think you were okay and up to standard. But then your HSC Mark was scaled down (which happens, happens at uni too) thus ending up in your situation...???

Or I could be completely wrong. I probably am. :)

lollypoplady

HSC
yup my best friend got uber jibbed she was ranked first and was expecting a mark of around 97/98 but got an exam mark of 94 and an even lower assessment mark even tho her cohort was expected to do really well. wtf???
she was really disappointed and it sucked.

lionking1191

HSC
lollypoplady said:
yup my best friend got uber jibbed she was ranked first and was expecting a mark of around 97/98 but got an exam mark of 94 and an even lower assessment mark even tho her cohort was expected to do really well. wtf???
she was really disappointed and it sucked.
97/98 is state rank and there is about 400+ first ranks throughout NSW so you really need to look at the quality of the cohort and how lenient the marking is for school assessments

Lordie

HSC
Indeed. My assessment mark was down for Modern as well..All year I was getting marks of 90 - 95. I was expecting over 95 in the HSC exam. I ended up with a mark of 84. I just have no idea what happened..

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Skillo said:
But then your HSC Mark was scaled down (which happens, happens at uni too) thus ending up in your situation...???
There are only a few circumstances where marks at uni are ever scaled.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Similar things happened @ our school this year in both Modern and Extension. I think it has 2 do with if ur rank order changes drastically, then the marks scale badly down. 4 extension @ our school, the lowest ranked person in the class got the highest exam mark, so every1 got scaled down! Similar things happened in Modern.

-KatusMcGlatus-

HSC
Friking tell me about it! I was coming 1st in Modern all year, got assessment marks of 95+..HSC results arrive : Assessment mark=86/Exam mark=86. Same situation for my whole class.

I came 1st in 4 of my subs this yr & top 3 for all of them, expected high 80's/mid90's. Our school sucked massive wang, got scaled down and i got a UAI of f***king 84.5, which gives me sweet FA options. Thanks partial-selective school for the biggest waste of 6 years!

p.s if anyone could help out with providing options for any textiles related courses, would be really appreciated (& make me feel slightly less sad). Thanks.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You people are idiots. Why are you all comparing your school marks to your expectations for the HSC exam. You can have a kid at James Ruse getting 60% for his Modern History exams throughout the year, but do you honestly think he'd get 60% in the HSC?
You've just been marked too easy all year by your teachers and you got overconfident and cocky.

erm

HSC
moll. said:
You people are idiots. Why are you all comparing your school marks to your expectations for the HSC exam. You can have a kid at James Ruse getting 60% for his Modern History exams throughout the year, but do you honestly think he'd get 60% in the HSC?
You've just been marked too easy all year by your teachers and you got overconfident and cocky.
it's true. Some people become complacent.

dp624

HSC
Ruse sucks at humanities in general (well not sucks, but not as good as some schools). This year it was sort of worse because I believe Ruse08 is a very sciency grade. Heaps of smarties dropped humanities to do sciences etc

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
dp624 said:
Ruse sucks at humanities in general (well not sucks, but not as good as some schools). This year it was sort of worse because I believe Ruse08 is a very sciency grade. Heaps of smarties dropped humanities to do sciences etc
Twas just an example designed to carry a very basic point, not to give accurate details.

lionking1191

HSC
dp624 said:
tell me about it. killed chem and 3 maths. no mentions in humanities except eco, which is borderline sciency..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)