Who has goals of going to Harvard University? (1 Viewer)

John555

HSC
I still don't think you guys have any idea of how intense the competition is for Harvard, Oxbridge etc.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Let me just clarify if you decide to apply to Cambridge or Oxford for undergraduate studies.

There are 31 colleges in Cambridge. You have to apply to a specific college for a specific degree. You may choose to apply to one or more colleges if you like. My college accepts 2 law students a year, 2 Vet students a year, about 10 medical students, and 20-30 or so science students a year etc. As you can see, you are competing for one of these limited spots within a specific college. You will also need to attend an interview and do extra admission tests from what I've heard. Therefore, it is not really possible to apply for more than a few college. If no one is good enough a college will not accept any student for that year.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Let me just clarify if you decide to apply to Cambridge or Oxford for undergraduate studies.

There are 31 colleges in Cambridge. You have to apply to a specific college for a specific degree. You may choose to apply to one or more colleges if you like. My college accepts 2 law students a year, 2 Vet students a year, about 10 medical students, and 20-30 or so science students a year etc. As you can see, you are competing for one of these limited spots within a specific college. You will also need to attend an interview and do extra admission tests from what I've heard. Therefore, it is not really possible to apply for more than a few college. If no one is good enough a college will not accept any student for that year.
Hey,

Can you give a quick overview of the process for a postgrad, particularly doing a PhD at Cambridge?

What was the selection process like? Did you have to fly over for interviews, meet potential supervisors etc? How are PhD's funded there- do they have a similar grant system like here in Australia? Is gaining funding a lot harder for international students?

Cheers

John555

HSC
Hey,

Can you give a quick overview of the process for a postgrad, particularly doing a PhD at Cambridge?

What was the selection process like? Did you have to fly over for interviews, meet potential supervisors etc? How are PhD's funded there- do they have a similar 'grant' system like here in Australia?

Cheers
Yes I would also love to know this. And what criteria do they mostly evaluate you on? your GPA? Extra tests? Interviews? What process did you go through?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

What was the selection process like? Did you have to fly over for interviews, meet potential supervisors etc? How are PhD's funded there- do they have a similar grant system like here in Australia? Is gaining funding a lot harder for international students?
Sure.

Selection process: Apply online, it is a long process and it took me months to fill in the application form and make changes until I was happy with it, mainly with the extended responses. Need 3 references.
You should discuss your projects with a potential supervisor first through e-mails because most overseas applicants cannot afford to go over just to meet their supervisor.
I didn't have to do an interview but some supervisors do like to have an interview with the applicant, via video conferencing.
Funding: As far as I know Cambridge offers about 40 Cambridge International Scholarships (funded by the University) and ~100 Gates Cambridge Scholarships for overseas students (funded by Bill Gates). So roughly 140 fully funded scholarships per year (?). The university also offers some partially funded scholarships. Local students have their own scholarship systems so I definitely think it is easier to obtain funding (they also pay the lower home fees).

artist91

HSC
And just out of curiousity, what sort of extra curriculars are needed for American universities? I don't think I'll apply, but I'm curious...
Hey furansugo. I can help you out here. So far I've been accepted to USC, UCLA and Cornell and I'm still waiting for other colleges (most don't come out until March/April). But I will most likely be going to USC as they have offered me a very generous financial aid package/scholarship and have a strong athletic program. My EC's were mostly sporting related...

My EC's were (from my schools in America and Australia):
Junior national qualifier (track and field, cross country), state championships (track and field, cross country, swimming), national merit semifinalist, school prefect, art captain, school sporting teams (cheerleading, track and field, cross country, swimming, touch), premier's award for excellence in art, enhanced studies program at QUT, community service including surf life saving and church (including volunteering abroad).

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Hey furansugo. I can help you out here. So far I've been accepted to USC, UCLA and Cornell and I'm still waiting for other colleges (most don't come out until March/April). But I will most likely be going to USC as they have offered me a very generous financial aid package/scholarship and have a strong athletic program. My EC's were mostly sporting related...

My EC's were (from my schools in America and Australia):
Junior national qualifier (track and field, cross country), state championships (track and field, cross country, swimming), national merit semifinalist, school prefect, art captain, school sporting teams (cheerleading, track and field, cross country, swimming, touch), premier's award for excellence in art, enhanced studies program at QUT, community service including surf life saving and church (including volunteering abroad).

far out, you've got the whole package don't ya?

artist91

HSC
far out, you've got the whole package don't ya?
It's pretty easy to get accepted to most colleges if you're decent (national qualifier) in a sport.

But yeah my advice to anyone applying to US for undergrad would be aim for 2-3 teams/accomplishments in these areas: sporting, cultural, leadership and community service. They are really looking for well-rounded people not just a ATAR/SAT number.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
It's pretty easy to get accepted to most colleges if you're decent (national qualifier) in a sport.

But yeah my advice to anyone applying to US for undergrad would be aim for 2-3 teams/accomplishments in these areas: sporting, cultural, leadership and community service. They are really looking for well-rounded people not just a ATAR/SAT number.
were you homeschooled in the states?

artist91

HSC
were you homeschooled in the states?
Nope just went to my local senior high school. Private school here in australia for year 11/12. Homeschooling would be hard because you wouldn't have the opportunities from school sporting teams/clubs (like cheerleading etc) so I think it might be a bit of a disadvantage for those people!

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Nope just went to my local senior high school. Private school here in australia for year 11/12. Homeschooling would be hard because you wouldn't have the opportunities from school sporting teams/clubs (like cheerleading etc) so I think it might be a bit of a disadvantage for those people!
well congratulations.

if the US doesn't fall in the next 10 years or so,
you've pretty much got your life set

don't sell yourself short.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
The only school i want to attend is MIT followed by Yale.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
What do you want to Major in? Isn't it kinda pointless going for a Science/Maths focussed institution followed by Yale, renowned pretty much for liberal arts?
Thats the thing. I dont know what i want yet, Maybe a physicist or a lawyer.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Law is graduate only in the States.
Do you know if any kind of conversion for Atar to Sat. Maybe a rough estimate? would 99.8 atar be around 2350 sat points?

laura_a

HSC
I would love to do law at cambridge or harvard. If all else fails for me here in sydney.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
ATAR is completely different to SATs. It's impossible to give you an accurate conversion. I guess you could look at percentiles to compare, but at the end of the day, you have to do SATs to get in to U.S. colleges, just having an ATAR won't cut it.
But if i can get a rough estimate then i can see whether or not to pursue anything like that in the future. But ATM its HSC

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
The American Testing System is completely different, doing well in the HSC does not guarantee you a good mark in the SAT/ACT.
Do you now how much of a difference between Physic's, Chem, Bio in the Australian HSC syllabus compared to the Sat II of Chem, Physics, Bio.

untouchablecuz

HSC
would love to do engineering @ MIT

but alas, nothing but empty dreams

brunx

HSC
Any reason Cornell is there twice?

Why would you want to go to an american college....It'd drive me insane!
Cheats way into harved is be insanely good at american football!
pretty sure harvard doesnt have athletic scholarships.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)