Who hates physics? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Schmole said:
yeah i know - its now another subject like english, where you can get the answer right, but worded it slightly different to the ideal answer and they deduct marks from you. :burn:

this is why i'm doing as much maths as possible - if you get to the answer, you can't lose marks.
Same!!! I definately prefer maths over english.

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
I love Physics!! It's my favourite subject... and it even enticed me to do engineering at uni... if I get in...

I didn't like it last year because my teacher was a bit crap... but he's definatly improved in the last year! He knows his stuff just isn't always great at expressing it...

mr coolerer

HSC
I like physics, but I like all sciences.

I like all bits of it. Im probably going to be doing some type of science degree next year and Physics will definitely be a part of it.

Thats my oppinion, though i didnt actually add anything of value to this discussion.

rama_v

HSC
Don't expect HSC physics to help you in uni. Apart from a little bit of background in year 11, I found year 12 physics a total waste of time in that it hasnt helped me one bit yet in uni physics - uni physics is much, much more mathematical. Mind you, that is just my experience so far...

moo_moo_molly

Yo mumma
HSC
I don't expect it to help me... I just expect that I'd be learning similar sorta stuff... Doing physics has just made me realise that that kinda stuff is pretty interesting... But please correct me if I'm wrong...

rama_v

HSC
moo_moo_molly said:
I don't expect it to help me... I just expect that I'd be learning similar sorta stuff... Doing physics has just made me realise that that kinda stuff is pretty interesting... But please correct me if I'm wrong...
Yeah. Certainly, its very interesting...

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
rama_v said:
Don't expect HSC physics to help you in uni. Apart from a little bit of background in year 11, I found year 12 physics a total waste of time in that it hasnt helped me one bit yet in uni physics - uni physics is much, much more mathematical. Mind you, that is just my experience so far...
I heard that its an entirly calculus based course, and the only reason calculus isn't in the HSC physics is because the board of studies does not expect that all physics candidates have sudied/ or are studying maths 2 unit/ 3unit/ 4unit.

JONO

rama_v

HSC
Jono_2007 said:
I heard that its an entirly calculus based course, and the only reason calculus isn't in the HSC physics is because the board of studies does not expect that all physics candidates have sudied/ or are studying maths 2 unit/ 3unit/ 4unit.

JONO
Not entirely calculus based, but certainly mathematical. I think the board should do what they used to, and have a 2 unit and a 3 unit physics course, with the 3 unit course being the more demanding mathematically. They could make 3 unit maths a requirement for the 3 unit physics course if it were to exist, IMO.

helper

HSC
N/A
rama_v said:
I think the board should do what they used to, and have a 2 unit and a 3 unit physics course, with the 3 unit course being the more demanding mathematically.
There hasn't been a 3 unit physics course. At least as far back as the 70s, I don't know about before that.

rama_v

HSC
helper said:
There hasn't been a 3 unit physics course. At least as far back as the 70s, I don't know about before that.
Oh, ok. I always thought there was...

helper

HSC
N/A
The 2 unit course used to be calculus based. Suggestion was to bring in a more historical, societal course on top. Instead the board brought in one course which is neither. But then I don't want to go on about the BOS or I would never stop typing.

gamecw

HSC
i started likin physics a month b4 my trial and read the whole text book in a month.. and guess what? now ive just droped business studies

loolee

HSC
gamecw said:
i started likin physics a month b4 my trial and read the whole text book in a month.. and guess what? now ive just droped business studies

Same here, but I dropped Hospitality....

sasquatch

HSC
in the late 70s-early 80s there was a 4 unit physics course.. my uncle always told me that people would do 4 unit physics, 4 unit maths and 2 units of english..and fucken ace it as the 4 unit physics was really maths based, so in a way it was kinda like doing 8 units of maths..hahaha

Sir Loin

HSC
I haet Physics...Was considering dropping it when term 2 started, but then the teacher would always find something interesting everytime I had that "Mayb i'll drop mentality".

Oh well, backup 2 units.:rofl:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
rama_v said:
Not entirely calculus based, but certainly mathematical. I think the board should do what they used to, and have a 2 unit and a 3 unit physics course, with the 3 unit course being the more demanding mathematically. They could make 3 unit maths a requirement for the 3 unit physics course if it were to exist, IMO.
We have a virtual 3Unit physics course, we use quadratics to find the velocity of an object in a collision, and we learn about motion in two dimensions early in the preliminary course, not to menion the proof behind the law of reflection, which i dont remember :(

passion89

HSC
f3nr15 said:
We have a virtual 3Unit physics course, we use quadratics to find the velocity of an object in a collision, and we learn about motion in two dimensions early in the preliminary course, not to menion the proof behind the law of reflection, which i dont remember :(
I would love to have done 3u physics if it still existed :(

rama_v

HSC
f3nr15 said:
? The physics course at present is like a half unit course when u compare it to 2 unit maths. People should be able to use quadratic equations in year 10. Motion in two dimensions is something we did in year 10 too. When you do dot products and calculus in physics, then we can call it a 3 unit course...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
rama_v said:
? The physics course at present is like a half unit course when u compare it to 2 unit maths. People should be able to use quadratic equations in year 10. Motion in two dimensions is something we did in year 10 too. When you do dot products and calculus in physics, then we can call it a 3 unit course...
I've sopken to other physics students from other schools and they have never heard of motion in two dimensions or the use of quadratics in physics in Year 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)