who here makes up sources/quotes? (1 Viewer)

GJ_JOE

blood brother
so, when you guys forget a source or just can't bother remembering the persons name, do you just make stuff up? i know i do :D

e.g. according to herodotus blah blah blah

GJ_JOE

blood brother
hahaha
actually all my friends (smart arses) know their shit so i'm just checking to see if i'm not the only one lol

thanks

Sarah J

HSC
lol. I've made up some sources. It's fun to make up funny names for them.

Usually though, I just forget who said something, and so I just try and use a common source's name that I haven't used in the essay yet.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
All the time!:D I can never remember what any source says so I just pick a name and insert it into a fairly vague sentance, and hey presto! I have sources :D

classics_chic

HSC
don't do it, if anyone still does it (which I'm sure they do). Teachers aren't as dumb as we make them out to be (as you discover when you finish the HSC and suddenly they're trying to be your friend...).

But what you can do, if you remember roughly what someone said, is say "Herodotos says [blah blah blah]" and in a timed assessment it's as good as a quote!

J

jhakka

Once a friend of mine made up a Pharaoh and the teacher didn't know. :D

SmokedSalmon

HSC
When I was doing my HSC Ancient History exam I sometimes forgot which historian went with which quote. So I just picked a random historian and hoped for the best. And I got 90 overall so don't worry too much if u can't remember who goes with what. Paraphrasing is always a good idea too.

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Paraphrasing saved me in Ancient! If you can't remember quotes just remember vaguely what they were on about and use that. Works just as well as direct quotes.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
the thing with HSC quoting is that even if the marker is unsure bout whether ur right, its not like they can go and check it up can they - so as long as u sound confident when u write it, whats it matter. i think i use bout 3 made up quotes/paraphrase for every genuine quote...the ones i can remember never seem 2 fit in with the question!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I generally write a sentence, realise it could make a damn good quote, then put little quotation marks around it saying A.P Lewis said it. Ahh A.P Lewis, what a renowned historian.

Making up quotes is also good for when you're unsure about a point you're making. If it's wrong, you could always blame someone else! Like with the last essay i wrote, i made up a guy called G.Bulge or something. Looking back on it, Bulge said some pretty stupid things. Stupid guy!

Arnor

HSC
N/A
yeah it'll be even funnier if you start making up qoutes about Gai Callender or Pamela Bradely or Jenifer Lawless, you never know they might be the one marking your essay *shivers* so yeah watch out cause you can get caught out easily. :D

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Hmm....good point. But then, who really remember's what they say anyway? You could always do something like "after a few beers, renowned historian Gae Callender told me 'Hatshepsut really.... *mumble mumble*... contributed nothing.... *slurred*... to the history of Egypt......LOOK! A TALKING MILKSHAKE!!'"

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
tina_goes_doo said:
Hmm....good point. But then, who really remember's what they say anyway? You could always do something like "after a few beers, renowned historian Gae Callender told me 'Hatshepsut really.... *mumble mumble*... contributed nothing.... *slurred*... to the history of Egypt......LOOK! A TALKING MILKSHAKE!!'"
dare u 2 quote it in the trials tina...harpy'd luuv that. and whats with the talkin milkshake? i always saw good ol gae as more of the 'ohmygod its a cream-covered psychotic beanbag' type of person. but hey, thats just me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)