Who is the Stolen Generation? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jb_nc said:
Optophobia hides behind "leftist" and "caring for Aboriginals" when really he is a racist and wants all all Aboriginals dead.
Yeah what's with that? A year or 2 ago, Mathemite was on these forums parading about how aboriginals and asians should be exterminated, and now he's acting like he was sent by god to protect them.

UnleavenedBread

HSC
katie_tully said:
I never said it didn't happen you cumstain on the side of your mums face. I said we meaning THIS GENERATION RIGHT NOW AND ITS GOVERNMENT have done nothing to apologise for.
I also didn't say that by saying sorry we'll be liable for compensation. I said they can fuck off, forgiveness does not equate to a cash cow

What the fuck are you talking about? You are seriously the most fucking retarded person on this forum right now.

Did you ever hear the old saying about police? To become one, you had to be dumb enough to put the round peg in the square hole. Your Sir, are under qualified.

Secondly, when the hell did my name become katy?
www.wikipedia.com
www.wikipedia.com

Ad Hominem
umm Appeal to Tradition
er Ad Hominem (I haven't said that enough)
Ad Hominem
Coitus Interuptus
Novus Intervenies
Ad Hominem
Ad Hominem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_penis
www.wikipedia.com

I know better than you about your personal beliefs do not question me because I respond to GetUp emails and donate to PETA and even once I read a book (well, I started reading it)

/optophobia

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Slidey said:
Yeah what's with that? A year or 2 ago, Mathemite was on these forums parading about how aboriginals and asians should be exterminated, and now he's acting like he was sent by god to protect them.
UWS Policing done learned him good

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
yea waf I was gunna point out how dom and mathmite had got the argument wrong... It isn't a kent hovind trick where you're just playing on the fact that people aren't geniuses with all knowledge, what he's saying is that NO ONE can name 10 people from the stolen generation, whereas we obviously can if we do a little research name 10 people who have died from starvation or the holocaust.

Anyway, while I do think there may be some little wiggle room as far as the whole 'stolen generation' thing goes (at the very least, when we teach this in the classrooms it should be a full explanation), there have definately been terrible things done by white australia to the aboriginal population.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Ten members of the stolen generation

1. Basil Sumner, removed from Raukkan, South Australia - family taken to Adelaide where they were split up and sent to different institutions - eventually Basil and his brother ran away and found their mother again, having been so underfed at one institution that they had been forced to eat dog biscuits (Source: Butler, B. and Sumner, B. 2003. 'Government unlocks stolen generation records in SA: the first state in Australia', Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal 27, no. 1: pp. 29-31.)
  2. Bringing Them Home Confidential Witness 821, removed in WA in 1935
    I was at the post office with my Mum and Auntie [and cousin]. They put us in the police ute and said they were taking us to Broome. They put the mums in there as well. But when we'd gone [about ten miles] they stopped, and threw the mothers out of the car. We jumped on our mothers' backs, crying, trying not to be left behind. But the policemen pulled us off and threw us back in the car. They pushed the mothers away and drove off, while our mothers were chasing the car, running and crying after us. We were screaming in the back of that car. When we got to Broome they put me and my cousin in the Broome lock-up. We were only ten years old.
  3. Tjalaminu Mia, removed in WA in 1962, aged ten (Source: Mia, T. 2001. 'Life in Sister Kate's Home: An Oral History Perspective', Studies in Western Australian History no. 22: pp. 125-134.)
  4. Bruce Trevorrow, removed in 1957 - taken to hospital by his mother and later fostered out without her consent - awarded compensation by the SA Supreme Court in 2007 (Source)
  5. Audrey Ngingali Kinnear, removed from Ooldea, SA aged two - did not see her mother for another 26 years (Source: Ngingali Kinnear, A. 2000. 'Journeying home: the story of one of a stolen generation', Arena no. 47: p. 7.)
  6. Heather Kemarre Shearer, removed from the NT - found her family in the NT later in life (Source: Nicholls, C. 2000. 'Indigenous Australian art and the stolen generation', Artlink 20, no. 1: pp. 36-39).
  7. Coral Dickerson, removed from her mother Joan in Geraldton, WA in 1959 (Source: Foster, D.J. 1998. '"She called her Coral because it was a perfect pink day": the neglecting of Coral Suzanne Dickerson', JAS, Australia's Public Intellectual Forum 59: pp. 20-38.)
  8. Fiona, Bringing Them Home witness 305, removed in SA in 1936 aged five, didn't see her mother again until 1968 (Source)
  9. Archie Roach, removed from Framlingham, Victoria in the early 1950s, aged three (Source)
  10. John Moriarty (see article extract below)

I've found these all via the internet and online databases, despite the fact that information on specific members of the stolen generation is not readily available online - the academic literature tends to focus on broader examination of policy and practices. If you examine the government archives or get out a scholarly book on the stolen generation I'm sure you can find many, many more.

Incidentally, here's a rather scathing article about Andrew Bolt:
Before being willing to debate me Bolt demanded first either "ten" or "one hundred" or even "a few hundred" names of stolen children. I asked him for his definition of a stolen child. He refused to reply. I asked him who was to determine whether or not I had satisfied his pre-condition. Again he refused to reply. Eventually, I sent him some 250 names. After a silence, Bolt agreed to the debate.

Bolt has a Herald Sun blog-site. He appealed on it for help in discrediting my first 12 names. There was no mention of the other 230-plus. Bolt presented the results of his research assistants at last Sunday's debate. The omissions and distortions took my breath away.

Another name was John Moriarty, a much-loved Northern Territory child of mixed descent whose mother was so frightened that he would be stolen that she went to foreign country, Roper River, so he could go to school. One day when she came to pick him up, John was gone. He had been sent in a truck and in a state of high terror with other children to the notorious Alice Springs half-caste institution, the Bungalow. Consider Bolt's account. "He was sent south to go to a boarding school with, he says, aunties and uncles. Stolen? Or sent away?" Every word is invention. In each case he discussed on Sunday, Bolt's distortions were of a similar kind. He has never mentioned the other 230 names.
Edit: And here (PDF) is Robert Manne's 184-page selection of historical documents on the stolen generation.

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
  1. Basil Sumner, removed from Raukkan, South Australia - family taken to Adelaide where they were split up and sent to different institutions - eventually Basil and his brother ran away and found their mother again, having been so underfed at one institution that they had been forced to eat dog biscuits (Source: Butler, B. and Sumner, B. 2003. 'Government unlocks stolen generation records in SA: the first state in Australia', Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal 27, no. 1: pp. 29-31.)
  3. Tjalaminu Mia, removed in WA in 1962, aged ten (Source: Mia, T. 2001. 'Life in Sister Kate's Home: An Oral History Perspective', Studies in Western Australian History no. 22: pp. 125-134.)
  4. Bruce Trevorrow, removed in 1957 - taken to hospital by his mother and later fostered out without her consent - awarded compensation by the SA Supreme Court in 2007 (Source)
  5. Audrey Ngingali Kinnear, removed from Ooldea, SA aged two - did not see her mother for another 26 years (Source: Ngingali Kinnear, A. 2000. 'Journeying home: the story of one of a stolen generation', Arena no. 47: p. 7.)
  6. Heather Kemarre Shearer, removed from the NT - found her family in the NT later in life (Source: Nicholls, C. 2000. 'Indigenous Australian art and the stolen generation', Artlink 20, no. 1: pp. 36-39).
  7. Coral Dickerson, removed from her mother Joan in Geraldton, WA in 1959 (Source: Foster, D.J. 1998. '"She called her Coral because it was a perfect pink day": the neglecting of Coral Suzanne Dickerson', JAS, Australia's Public Intellectual Forum 59: pp. 20-38.)
  8. Fiona, Bringing Them Home witness 305, removed in SA in 1936 aged five, didn't see her mother again until 1968 (Source)
  9. Archie Roach, removed from Framlingham, Victoria in the early 1950s, aged three (Source)
I've found these all via the internet and online databases, despite the fact that information on specific members of the stolen generation is not readily available online - the academic literature tends to focus on broader examination of policy and practices. If you examine the government archives or get out a scholarly book on the stolen generation I'm sure you can find many, many more.

Incidentally, here's a rather scathing article about Andrew Bolt:

Edit: And here (PDF) is Robert Manne's 184-page selection of historical documents on the stolen generation.
A+++++++++

flappinghippo

HSC
chicky_pie said:
read this opinion.

Only the ignorant oppose an apology

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23199887-5007146,00.html
My English language techniques' radar is going off the fucking charts. If you're writing to tell the truth, there's no worse way of making it seem unbelievable than to load paragraphs with vitriolic aneurysms. Oh yeah, and hardly any actual information.

Triangulum said:

Thanks triangulum. Andrew Bolt; strike one.

Alright, so was it government policy on any level to steal children on the basis of part-Aboriginality?

Bolt said:
In Victoria, for instance, the state Stolen Generations Taskforce concluded there had been “no formal policy for removing children”. Ever.

In the Northern Territory, the Federal Court found no sign of “any policy of removal of part-Aboriginal children such as that alleged”.

In Tasmania, the Stolen Generations Alliance admitted “there were no removal policies as such”.

In South Australia, the Supreme Court last year found no government policy to steal Aboriginal children there, either. Rather, stealing black children had been “without legal authority, beyond power and contrary to authoritative legal advice”.
What's going on here?

BTW, I'm not trying to be a dick here, okay? I honestly want to know how much of this sorry shebang is warranted, and I want do so through asking questions.

And fuck off with your mindless "omfg how dare he ask" reflexes. If you can't answer the question properly, then you're just as ignorant, fucking asshats.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Enteebee said:
there have definately been terrible things done by some white australians to some aboriginal australians.
Corrected for truth.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Mary Farrell-Hooker counts herself among the Stolen Generations and is now a spokeswoman for an Aboriginal activist group. The Stolen Generation became Australia's controversy.

She is of mixed race and was one of 12 children of alcoholic parents. Her father was in jail for raping her sister when her mother was hospitalized after a suicide attempt.

"The police came to the school and told me they were taking me to the hospital to see my mom," Farrell-Hooker told CNN. "We never went to the hospital."

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/12/australia.aborgines/index.html
one of the good reasons why they was taken.

testiclepilot

HSC
ticky2002 said:
I think it's crap!

Money isn't going to fix these peoples problems.

They would have had even worse experiences if they weren't taken away.

Just deal with it.
Sorry, but money wasn't mentioned.

Kthx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)