who missed out? (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Hey there... is there anyone else here who (like me) didn't receive ANY offers from either UAC or QTAC?!

Anyway, i just wanna say that there ARE plenty of other options out there (besides tafe).

I've recently received an offer for the BA (Vis Art) course @ Avondale College, and i'm REALLY excited! In fact, i would've accepted this offer even if Newcastle uni had made an offer.

It is a private Christian tertiary institution (open to anyone & everyone), is located in the Hunter Valley region, and is rumoured to not only provide an excellent educational experience, but a great lifestyle also. The fees are very competitive with public uni's too.

The Good Universities Guide, for the fifth consecutive year, has given Avondale a 5 star rating in terms of staff qualifications, student-staff ratio and graduate rating of the educational experience. So it's up there with the top Australian universities. ;)

The minimum UAI requirement for most courses is 65 (there's alternative entry i.e. academic bridging course if u don't quite make it), and u have a good choice of subjects in 3-4yr degree/double degree courses (in Arts, Business, Science, Nursing, Primary & Secondary Teaching, Theology), as well as certificate & diploma courses in General studies, Aviation, Outdoor Recreation, and Business Administration.

Yeah- well, it's not too late to apply. There may still be some vacancies, and it shouldn't be too difficult to get in. You can check it out @ http://www.avondale.edu.au/ :)

Last edited:

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Elements of the program on the main campus reflect the Adventist roots and ethos of the institution and eighty percent of the students are from a Seventh-day Adventist Christian background, but experience has shown that our study programs and campus lifestyle are of significant value to students from the broader Christian community.

they might try to convert me :|

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah sounds like an excuse to 'introduce you to god' to me.....

Its private college, just like the ones we have in Sydney, theres no need to go to the hunter for it.....

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
yeah ....as soon as someone says god ...i run away
Our year 11 camp was a god camp.....very few religious people at our school....very funny watching the arguments between counsellors and kids! One guy asked "if there is a god why am I so ugly?"

Ribbon

I have no issue with people practising thier own religion, but when they come knocking on your door trying to convert you... well lets just say I don't try to tell them to stop believing so they have no right to annoy the crap out out of everyone else trying to make them believe :p

'study programs and campus lifestyle are of significant value to students from the broader Christian community.'

So what if your not christian, or your an athiest? I think places like that are a bit too narrowminded, because even if they have the best course of its kind, 3/4 of the people will choose not to study there because of the religious environment...

BTW - having said that, your abviously christian and don't mind the environment, so congrtulations on getting into the course you want.

and OMG! does this mean there is no uni bar there?

Ribbon

Originally posted by Ms 12
Our year 11 camp was a god camp.....very few religious people at our school....very funny watching the arguments between counsellors and kids! One guy asked "if there is a god why am I so ugly?"
LMAO - my dad is a big skeptic (even read the bible so he could pick stuff that was wrong with it) and everytime someone comes knocking on the door with thier religion, and I answer it, I either tell them no ones home or just tell them we're not interested, to save them from spending an hour arguing with me dad :rolleyes:
I got to admit it is funny watching them get totally ripped, but I feel so bad for them, because its like thier entire life and they believe in it so strongly... still, like I said above, if they come around trying to convert us its fair game to try and convert them to our way of thinking :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hehe yeah I believe everyone has the right to believe and worship what they want, but I find it highly offensive when people preach.

TheKey

HSC
yeh a friend of mine missed out on economics and is looking to apply to some Australian business college, (something like that) apparently you dont need a UAI just your school report and you have to pay for it...but there are scholarship oppotunities as well..

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
lol - well, judging by the response, it may not suit EVERYone. But it is an option at least.

So if you're not christian, or, if you're an atheist?
Of course u could go there, that is - if u could handle being in a Christian environment. And no, they don't have a uni bar. But that probably shouldn't come as a surprise. ;)

On a side-note, there's this book written by the award-winning American legal journalist Lee Strobel (he did law @ Yale, and used to be an atheist and skeptic in a big way). He decided to check out the claims of Christianity for himself, and was certain that his findings would absolutely shatter the religion. But, in the end, he was amazed at how strong the evidence FOR faith actually is. So yeah, anything's possible if you're open to the possibilities. :)

Anyway, back to the point. On the news, did they say how many students missed out? How many thousands?

^___^
HSC
actually..

wait..

i heard its around 20 000

bu ti also head its 1/3 who missed

lets get our calculators out...

Ribbon

You don't need a calculator to work it out (and I only got like 80 in maths)

1/3 of 75 000 = 25 000 so they are pretty close

Ashleet

HSC
that is a hell of alot of people - i didnt get any offers this round, cause i got one in the early round which i accepted but id have to say most of the ppl i know didnt get offers, nor got the marks to get an offer (unless they were willing to pay which is also an option)

toisthbe

Evil Member
i had a few friends who missed out, i feel so pissed off that i didnt help them wif maths..

like i offered, but neva actually went to their house and shit..
o wellz

any1 here kno how to make ppl who didnt get a offer, feel better?

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
any1 here kno how to make ppl who didnt get a offer, feel better?
There's probably not much you could say, but you could encourage them to keep working at it, in the meantime. Tell 'em that just because they didn't make it this time around, doesn't mean that they'll never make it. There are always more opportunities and alternative routes to uni, like mature age entry. Or they could go to tafe or somethin' and get credit, so next time they'll have a better chance. Uni isn't all it's cracked up to be anyhow.

Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful. I didn't get any offers either (well, at least not from UAC), but it doesn't bother me so much 'coz i'm going to a private college instead.

Does any1 know of any business colleges in the newcastle area?
The college where i'm going to do a BA vis art (although it's not specifically a business college), has 3yr biz degrees (majors in management, marketing, IT or accounting) - it's the one that was mentioned at the start of this thread. It's sort-of near Newy (cooranbong, to be exact). Quite a few ppl go there for one year to get academic credit, then transfer elsewhere.

Aside from that, i don't know... there must be one somewhere in Newcastle, but i'm not real familiar with the area :confused:

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Yeah I missed out on offers - though it's 1st round with another 2 rounds to go and I think 1 more round in QLD. With my lousy ENTER (- honestly it was 52.45 - there finally opened up about THAT!!!)there is no way I'll get into any Uni, and despite only "just missing out" on a QLD offer according to the lady I spoke to last week - reality is I wont get an offer from QTAC either.

Over the disappointment now -
Number one I still have options available - TAFE being one in which I can enroll into the Certificate IV in Health and maybe transfer to Uni as a 2nd yr student in 2006 - depending on how good my grades are and number 2 - there are a lot more people who possibly don't have the option of transferring into Uni and number 3 - there are students who no doubt performed worse than I did (apparently my hairdresser got an ENTER of <10 - or so she says). ;)

Besides, I blame my low ENTER on the scaling - my study scores got scaled down BIG TIME. ..................:mad: ......................... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)