Who owns their own home? (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
Not own in the sense of you have paid it off but paying it off as i dont expect anyone on here to have paid off a mortgage

carwash

HSC
N/A
i own humpy because i am aborignal no need to pay

aussie-boy

HSC
is this whether we (as in our family, i.e. parents) own the home we live in?
or us personally (as teenagers/early 20s)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I did the math.

For $15'000 (or less, potentially even free) you can get land in... all sorts of places.
According to this website: http://www.sheds.com.au/process/views/catalogueItemB.html?itemId=8941&categoryId=1279
You can buy a complete 2 bedroom kit home for $19'450.

You get the $21'000 first home builders grant for this, so the house comes free. It'll cost you X amount to get it kitted out, X being the value of construction, plumbing, electrical, taxes etc... Ofcourse I have mates who are tradies, who should do us a reasonable deal...

Let's suppose you pay $15'000 for a 1/4 acre of land, plus X= $20'000 to get your new home kitted out.

And there you have it. A complete new home, paid for in full, on a years minimum wage salary.

The only downside is you have to live in a shed in the middle of nowhere.

Being a creepy loner, who's completely rejected all traditional notions of success, and finds the idea of wealth, consumption, capitalist 9 to 5 mindset absolutely meaningless, I am seriously considering this scheme. Once I don't have to pay rent, I think I can get my annual expenses down to <$6000, and can pretty much retire.

Last edited:

Scissors

HSC
Graney said:
I did the math.

For $15'000 (or less, potentially even free) you can get land in... all sorts of places.
According to this website: http://www.sheds.com.au/process/views/catalogueItemB.html?itemId=8941&categoryId=1279

You get the $21'000 first home builders grant for this, so the house comes free. It'll cost you X amount to get it kitted out, X being the value of construction, plumbing, electrical, taxes etc...

Let's suppose you pay $15'000 for a 1/4 acre of land, plus X= $20'000 to get your new home kitted out.

And there you have it. A complete new home, paid for in full, on a years minimum wage salary.

Being a creepy loner, who's completely rejected all traditional notions of success, and finds the idea of wealth, consumption, capitalist 9 to 5 mindset absolutely meaningless, I am seriously considering this scheme. Once I don't have to pay rent, I think I can get my annual expenses down to <$6000, and can pretty much retire.
wow. you've thought about this before huh?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It's been on my mind recently with the announcement of the raising of the first home buyers grant. I looked up the price of the cheapest kit-home and put 2+2 together.

I think seriously destitute, homeless youth should look into this scheme... get yourself through a year or two of gainfull employment and you can end up with a seriously usefull asset.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Graney said:
I did the math.

You get the $21'000 first home builders grant for this, so the house comes free. It'll cost you X amount to get it kitted out, X being the value of construction, plumbing, electrical, taxes etc... Ofcourse I have mates who are tradies, who should do us a reasonable deal...

where are some of these "all sorts of places"?

and the downside thing made me srsly lol

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Bahahahahahahahahaha.

Live in a shed.

Lol.

EDIT: Actually no, one of our clients lives in a studio/ 2 car shed on a 1 acre block at Clarencetown. Most down to earth guy ever.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
um yeah those sheds now r pretty sweet though

like the barn style ones with a mezzanine level, they can get kitted out pretty sweet
air con and heating and you're set

nfi where you're getting land at 15k from :confused:

sirfeathers

HSC
people actually do this. i was driving through wellington with my aunt a few years ago and she pointed out all these cargo crates stacked on a hill. apparently some guy lived there. he'd really made it liveable too, had cut windows into the side and light and everything!

lala2

Banned
HSC
The newly registered pharmacist at my work has gotten a mortgage on a unit with good views in Wollstonecraft. She's only one year out of uni. How did she manage this? She had a uni scholarship so that's minimum $5k/year (and I think she's the UAI of 99.95 one but I didn't dare ask further, which would make it $10k/yr) for 4 years = min $20k at the end. She invested it all in the stockmarket and sold all her shares just before the current economic crisis, so she got a very good return. She lived at home during uni, and during her mortgage application, so the only expenses she had was her phone and shopping/personal expenses. As a prereg, her annual income is about $38k pre-tax. So, it was only a matter of ticking all the boxes before getting the mortgage. Plus, she saved $60k on the unit due to falling property prices. Now that's how you get a place of your own first year out of uni.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
lala2 said:
The newly registered pharmacist at my work has gotten a mortgage on a unit with good views in Wollstonecraft. She's only one year out of uni. How did she manage this? She had a uni scholarship so that's minimum $5k/year (and I think she's the UAI of 99.95 one but I didn't dare ask further, which would make it $10k/yr) for 4 years = min $20k at the end. She invested it all in the stockmarket and sold all her shares just before the current economic crisis, so she got a very good return. She lived at home during uni, and during her mortgage application, so the only expenses she had was her phone and shopping/personal expenses. As a prereg, her annual income is about $38k pre-tax. So, it was only a matter of ticking all the boxes before getting the mortgage. Plus, she saved $60k on the unit due to falling property prices. Now that's how you get a place of your own first year out of uni.
Not having the worries of paying for rent and associated expenses would easily knock $10,000 off her living expenses.

Taking into account FHOG, looks like she's made quite a good start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)