Who thinks the HSC is unfair? (2 Viewers)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Its the fairest it ever could be.

People saying if there not science/maths orientated there is no high scaling subject. here are some examples
1.History extension
2. Economics
3. ext one english
4. ext two english
5. Advance english
6. modern history (at the top enf it scales one of the best)

and subjects like business, legal, ancient can get you high ATAR's if you get decent marks. I know of people doing all humanites and getting 98+

Last edited:

waza_

HSC
Let's look at it this way, for those who have completed their HSC who really gives a shit about this arguement? Now that I think about it my post was so stupid because no matter how much we bitch and complain it doesn't change our results. Just learn to live with it and find another path to go on

FILO-CHIKA

HSC
um i think its a bit unfair.. because it also depends on the kind of school u go to

example.. i go to a crap public school and got 3 band 5's n 2 band 4's and got 71.1

my work friends brother goes to a good private school and got 1 band 5 and 4 band 4's.. he got 73

and we did 4/5 subjects the same

another example

a girl at my school got 82 and got 2 band 6's, 2 band 5's

my boyfriend goes to a private school and got 1 band 6, 2 band 5's and 2 band 4's and got 83

and they both did similar subjects

HSC
um i think its a bit unfair.. because it also depends on the kind of school u go to

example.. i go to a crap public school and got 3 band 5's n 2 band 4's and got 71.1

my work friends brother goes to a good private school and got 1 band 5 and 4 band 4's.. he got 73

and we did 4/5 subjects the same

another example

a girl at my school got 82 and got 2 band 6's, 2 band 5's

my boyfriend goes to a private school and got 1 band 6, 2 band 5's and 2 band 4's and got 83

and they both did similar subjects
its not the 'school' as such its the cohort that year.

FILO-CHIKA

HSC
ohh yeah i guess so, i didnt think of that one lol

but oh well.. i still get into my uni course with my atar :)

Eddykungfu

HSC
if we did the american system you'd always be hungry for burgers.

fk tohse burghers.

oly1991

HSC
Well obviously, the responses in this thread indicate that the fairness of the system is subjective, and every individual has a unique opinion on the topic. Obviously...

anulik

HSC
Conversely, I found Legal to be easier than Physics and Chem (even though I'm usually called a maths/science oriented person). The scaling system recognises that most Legal Studies candidates are not of the same level as most Physics or MX2 candidates. Obviously, everyone's cases are different, but the system has to handle the whole cohort.

Legal Studies is way easier than Physics and Chemistry, And 4 unit maths. I do all these subjects, I did Legal in Preliminary, and I was intending to drop it, but I was coming first easily without any effort.

I had to put so much effort in order to cdome first in Science subjects, so it proves that Legal Studies, and generally humanieties, require just MEMORISING, but Sciences/maths require bothe MEMORISING and UNDERSTANDING.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Legal Studies is way easier than Physics and Chemistry, And 4 unit maths. I do all these subjects, I did Legal in Preliminary, and I was intending to drop it, but I was coming first easily without any effort.

I had to put so much effort in order to cdome first in Science subjects, so it proves that Legal Studies, and generally humanieties, require just MEMORISING, but Sciences/maths require bothe MEMORISING and UNDERSTANDING.
that's the problem, that the methods required to succeed in these humanity subjects is just to memorise. it should be much more than that.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I think it is fair in the sense that:
-students who work hard are rewarded for their efforts.

-despite maths/sci often yielding high marks, let me just say it's perfectly possible to go well without them, this year one of my friends achieved 99.9 ATAR with 1st place extension history, 5th place advanced english, 10th modern history and 15th studies of religion (those are state rankings) and she did 4u english as well. Also, a girl in 2006 from my school got 99.85 UAI with 4u english, music, drama and modern history.

but I guess unfair in that:
-a bad school/cohort will drag you down.
-perhaps too much emphasis on the final exam, you can destroy a years worth of hard work by going average in your exams.
-some people who are intelligent just dont mesh with the HSC's style, and hence don't go well.
-it is capable to succeed in many subjects by rote learning (I know some will disagree, but let's face it probably the majority do this in english and it is perfectly easy to get a mid 6 by memorising essays and learning how to adapt them well); some students can simply get a tutor to basically deliver them into a band 6.

Other criticisms I have are that:
-The majority of courses are based around learning exact dot points and how to give the markers what they want, not around a thorough, in-detail understanding of the subject or application of skills (maths and some parts of science excepted).
-even though I am certainly not a creative person, I think the english exam is unfair in the small proportion of marks awarded to creative writing.
-I know it's not the BOS's fault, but it annoys me how many religious schools force you to do religion of some sort, when the time could be used much better.
not really

philphie

Banned
HSC
Well yeah to a degree it sort of would, not just in scaling, but you can't seriously tell me the same student would achieve the same results over 2 years in a very low ranked school vs. a top gov't selective...
Similar arguement behind why they have rural disadvantage bonus points at some uni's...unless your parents can afford to send you away to boarding school the likelihood is that you would have to go to a poor performing (both students and teachers) school closer to you.
don't bother with that guy, you can tell he is just trying to fire you up by just giving you two word answers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)