Who thinks the HSC is unfair? (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
i thought for bonus points they would first refer to your eas application, then you would contact certain universities yourself showing whatever subject you studied that would get you the bonus, i'd prefer the service to be a bit more automatic
No, it's all automatic. When UAC sends your details on to the uni's admissions office, they include all your subject marks so they can do it all without any paperwork.

philphie

Banned
HSC
No, it's all automatic. When UAC sends your details on to the uni's admissions office, they include all your subject marks so they can do it all without any paperwork.
ah ok, that wouldn't help me though considering they botched my internal marks for english extension 1 and history extension.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
i'm not going down that easily. new proposition: regulating all alternative entry schemes into one universal scheme
It's up to each uni to decide their admission standards in accordance with what they feel is appropriate for their program. I don't really see why all unis have to use exactly the same scheme, although I can see value in them cooperating on their decisions in this area and creating summary documentation to explain the bonus points schemes at each uni.

philphie

Banned
HSC
It's up to each uni to decide their admission standards in accordance with what they feel is appropriate for their program. I don't really see why all unis have to use exactly the same scheme, although I can see value in them cooperating on their decisions in this area and creating summary documentation to explain the bonus points schemes at each uni.
i agree with universities cooperating with each other. fine, universities should attain a certain amount of autonomy but the variation in schemes make things rather complicated especially with a lot requiring students to contact these universities themselves, i'm only familiar with usyd and i know usyd will contact you automatically. so to save a lot of forms and time at least have these schemes work on an automated service to whatever applicants are fit.

as for a universal scheme, i can still imagine one working within the G8 association

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
a few things i loathe about the hsc:

-ranks [i hate it how shit ranked people can influence your marks, even if its by .1 ~]
-how the universities admissions index or... the, now, atar is based upon one year of schooling*

*It'd be a lot fairer if it was based upon 2, or maybe even 3, years of schooling.. that way a greater work ethic throughout would be developed... i can hear a fair few erupting upon what i've just said, but i find that it's only fair

HSC
in general i honestly can't comply with the HSC, but it does seem to be fair. But it's all over now and what's done is done.

Last edited:

extension 3

HSC
to be honest, the assess marks i worked out from my school prior to the exams were pretty much identical to the exam mark i received, so it seems relatively fair.

and a question. is it just me or are there wayyyy more 90+s with the atar?

noelknows

HSC
a few things i loathe about the hsc:

-ranks [i hate it how shit ranked people can influence your marks, even if its by .1 ~]
-how the universities admissions index or... the, now, atar is based upon one year of schooling*

*It'd be a lot fairer if it was based upon 2, or maybe even 3, years of schooling.. that way a greater work ethic throughout would be developed... i can hear a fair few erupting upon what i've just said, but i find that it's only fair
Four things:
1) In a sense, it is based on 2 years, with the Preliminary knowledge preparing us for the HSC, and in the case of mathematics or religion, being examinable in the HSC.
2) The extended "2 years" is already provided for under the pathways system, if you want to drag it out, then do pathways.
3)Extending the HSC to "2, or maybe even 3, years of schooling" would not at all develop a greater work ethic. If the HSC was drawn out over a long period of time, assessment would most likely be drawn out to cover it. This would reduce assessment weighting, making each individual assessment more insignificant. That coupled with the distance of final HSC examinations (2 or 3 years away), would mean for students that, unlike it is under the present system, the end would not be in sight. Thus students would not take the HSC as seriously: assessments would be trivial and HSC exams would be far into the horizon. This would only engender complacency and a lack of motivation. Two things counterproductive to a stong work ethic. The current system provides a time frame with enough pressure to encourage a good work ethic; your system, counter to what you claim, would not.
4) You have not considered any of the immense practicalites. Government funding and our schools would need to try to accomodate another 1-2 years of students. A whole generation would be delayed an extra two years from entering the work force. We would not be synchronised with the other states. We would need extra teachers we don't have to cover another 1-2 years of schooling for each student. I'm sure the list goes on.

Now that we know that, what possible case could you have for extending the leaving year?

Last edited:

noelknows

HSC
to be honest, the assess marks i worked out from my school prior to the exams were pretty much identical to the exam mark i received, so it seems relatively fair.

and a question. is it just me or are there wayyyy more 90+s with the atar?
I think it just appears that way because the students who get 90+ are much more enthusiastic to share their result.

nicola.jade.xx

HSC
It is not unfair.
For those who put the effort in, they get rewarded.
For those who put none in, they get nothing.
I pretty much sacrificed my social life this year for the HSC, i studied hours on end ALL year, aiming for at least 80 atar.
Then i got 92.5, my hard work was paid off. Just like every one else who got high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)