Who will be starting med March 1 2004? (1 Viewer)

scandal

HSC
Anyone else get into Med UNSW?
Was it our first preference?
Did you think you would?

hmm?

hey how r u?!!
congrats on gettin in2 medicine thats fabulous!!!

im doin my HSC this yr, n i was jus wondering if i could ask u sum Q's bout gettin in?
haha
u dont hav 2 ans. them if u cant b botherd but neway..
ah, wen u did the UMAT did u do ne special courses for it - cos i jus herd that sum ppl do em n i was jus wonderin if u hav 2 - like if it would max. ur chances of gettin in?!

hah
thanx...id really appreciate if u rote bak!!
haha
thank u.
xxx

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
out of curiosity, do you have to put med first on your preference list to be considered?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Yes, I know I did because I would have recieved an offer from whatever course I put first preference and thus not be considered for any of the other preferences, including med but what about those who missed out on their first preference but did have the umat + interview + uai necessary to get into med had they placed med as 1st pref?

scandal

HSC
Originally posted by hmm?
hey how r u?!!
congrats on gettin in2 medicine thats fabulous!!!

im doin my HSC this yr, n i was jus wondering if i could ask u sum Q's bout gettin in?
haha
u dont hav 2 ans. them if u cant b botherd but neway..
ah, wen u did the UMAT did u do ne special courses for it - cos i jus herd that sum ppl do em n i was jus wonderin if u hav 2 - like if it would max. ur chances of gettin in?!

Nah i didnt do any special courses. However althoguh i did well i didnt do fantastic and if i had my time again i would look into it more. At the time i was still unsure what i wanted to do and so didnt take it as seriously as it was only one option.

I didnt get a first round interview but worked my butt off and got a very high UAI allowing me a second round interview. So my adivce would be to look into it - find someone who did those courses - check these forums but its not the end of the world if u dont get a first round interview! From what ive heard the courses do help but at the end of the day u cant really "study" any theory etc - good luck

hmm?

hehe!!
oky doke...thanks 4 ur advice mate!
i shall look in2 it!
n congrats again...i find that inspirational....im so happy 4 u..good work!!

hmm?

hey..its me again...ahah
ah, jus outa curiosity.....how was the interview??
were u scared?
did u no wot 2 xpct?
wot kinda Qs did they ask??
like were they nice bout it or did they seem disinterestd?
howd u prepare???
ahhhhhhh
how fun..im still heaps xitd 4u - i cant imagine how u feel bout it?!!!
heheh

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
I found the interview at UNSW slightly unnerving because I couldn't really tell what the interviewers were thinking. At the other ones I went for (UQ, Adelaide, Newcastle and Monash) you could generally tell whether you were doing well or not.

The interviewers are friendly, though, so don't worry about that.

The questions are all personal ones, so I don't know how people can "cane" the interview. This was probably the easiest (or hardest, depending how you look at it) because the questions asked generally weren't the generic ones asked at every other uni. Also, there were no listening passages/deteching words/arguing a point/hypothetical questions like some other unis ask.

A question every uni asks everybody is "Why do you want to be a doctor?" - but then, you'd know that already.

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Yeah the interview is all about you. (Actually, that was the first thing they said in the interview: "We would like to get an understanding about _you_")

Things like your memories, experiences, life to date, reasons for wanting to do medicine. I went through rural entry, so they also ask things like why I want to go back to the country and work, where I want to work, how a role model (doctor) has influenced me, roles in the community.

They asked about my work experience, so it would really help if you had some. (any! just something that you can say: I was here and I saw this and it made me think this. If you are rural, i've heard they like you to have done some with a GP too.)

I came out the interview feeling 'weird', and thats about the only way to put it. I had a Co-op interview, and thought that went really well because the interviewers responded in that one.
In the med interview, they basically just sat there, with little face expression. It's also a fairly long interview, about 45-50 mins.
Really, I think the best way to prepare for it would be to simply talk to your parents for a while.

I also didnt do any UMAT preparation, because I thought that defeated the purpose of an 'aptitude' test which tested personal qualities. Unfortunately my UMAT results were not good, and I wouldnt have even got to interview stage if I wasnt a rural person. So each to his own. But if you are a sydney person, and want a first round interview, you will need good UMAT results (along with a high UAI prediction)

Last edited:

hmm?

wow guys
thanx heaps 4 al ur feedbak...its heaps informative
hmmm
thats crappy - but good?!
i duno - y on earth do they want 2 no bout ur memories n that crap?
hmmm

ye, i agree i think its really rong how there r all these couses u can do n that - but i ges if evry1 els' doin em then u dont wana b 'disadvantagd'
???
i duno wot 2 say its silly!!
grr!
haha
i duno?!
hmm
il keep thinkin
hahaha
good work 2 evry1 who got in!! n congrats 4 getin an interview n e way!!
thanx evry1

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Do u guys know any1 who got into UNSW med with a UAI less than 99.85? So far all the ppl i know who got into med has at least 99.85...
Do they weigh the UAI more than the UMAT and Interview?

Saul

*ss
HSC
nah i didn't get in

(for AK Gumbi, i had umat of 96 97 98, and a uai of 98.85)

hmm?

o my
thats feeping heaps good - shat!!
fek them u shooda made it?!!

so u did the interview - fabulously well done 4 getin that far neway!!

o wel ur proly ova it - duno y im gettin workd up
haha
gook luk wid wot ur doin

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
They kinda made me give my entire life story at the interview...

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fosweb
Yeah the interview is all about you. (Actually, that was the first thing they said in the interview: "We would like to get an understanding about _you_")

Things like your memories, experiences, life to date, reasons for wanting to do medicine. I went through rural entry, so they also ask things like why I want to go back to the country and work, where I want to work, how a role model (doctor) has influenced me, roles in the community.

They asked about my work experience, so it would really help if you had some. (any! just something that you can say: I was here and I saw this and it made me think this. If you are rural, i've heard they like you to have done some with a GP too.)

I came out the interview feeling 'weird', and thats about the only way to put it. I had a Co-op interview, and thought that went really well because the interviewers responded in that one.
In the med interview, they basically just sat there, with little face expression. It's also a fairly long interview, about 45-50 mins.
Really, I think the best way to prepare for it would be to simply talk to your parents for a while.

I also didnt do any UMAT preparation, because I thought that defeated the purpose of an 'aptitude' test which tested personal qualities. Unfortunately my UMAT results were not good, and I wouldnt have even got to interview stage if I wasnt a rural person. So each to his own. But if you are a sydney person, and want a first round interview, you will need good UMAT results (along with a high UAI prediction)
I just noticed your sig. Good one.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Us Med students @ Newcastle kill yous guys at UNSW!!!

*kicks self for not getting into UNSW* Still, I suppose as an incentive I'll be graduating a year earlier than you, meaning I'll be about 50k richer than you :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)