Who will you vote for next year (NSW State Election) (3 Viewers)

who will you vote for in the NSW 2006 elections

• ALP

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • Liberal

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • National

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Greens

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Democrats

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Independent

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If the LDP gets enough members in NSW to be registered, I'll vote for them first, then the Libs, then the shooters party, then whoever else looks good.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
What year was it, 1998 or 99, in the State Election due to the low cost and ease of registering to run for the senate, the ballot paper was enormous?

I wish they hadn't fixed that so we'd have a whole bunch of single-issue independents to choose from. Bring back the "Three Day Weekend Party", and all their hapless co-runners.

rden

HSC
i live in Bob Carr's old seat, safe Labor. I'll vote for one of the remaining social democratic parties, either Democrat or Greens but preference the Libs - not a huge fan of the Labor candidate

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
The next State General Election is 24 March 2007.

The next Local Government (Council) General Election is 27 September 2008.

i found it
okay ...i have to enrol to vote...i swear i have filled in the form 3 times and just havent sent it ...

Generator

HSC
N/A
rden said:
i live in Bob Carr's old seat, safe Labor. I'll vote for one of the remaining social democratic parties, either Democrat or Greens but preference the Libs - not a huge fan of the Labor candidate
The Dems and the Greens are not social democrats.

The Dems are essentially wet social liberals who tend to sit at the centre in economic/workplace terms. Yes, they may support the country's social democratic framework that is still in place (but for how long?), but this isn't because they are social democrats, but rather it's because they are economically-conservative centrists.

As for the Greens, they are just environmentalists who are broadening their policy platform. They are best left alone.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
imo morris iemma is doing a great job. i'll be 18 in july so i wouldn't be able to vote, but if i was 18 in march i'd vote for the ALP.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Martyno1 said:
imo morris iemma is doing a great job. i'll be 18 in july so i wouldn't be able to vote, but if i was 18 in march i'd vote for the ALP.
You say that now, but give him another term and he'll run the economy straight into the ground. NSW already has the lowest growth rate in the nation (2%, compared to 2.9% in SA, 3.3% in Vic, 5% in Tas and higher in other states).

malkin86

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Iemma appears to be a small child that was given the keys to the car to drive it on the farm.
Because we are comparing him to Carr. I think Iemma's still a bit wet behind the ears, but I feel that he dealt well with the Cronulla riots.

Generator

HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
Because we are comparing him to Carr. I think Iemma's still a bit wet behind the ears, but I feel that he dealt well with the Cronulla riots.
Wet behind the ears? He's essentially a political fop who can do nothing bar react. Yes, the Premier is but one person and it is the Government, not the Premier, that governs, but he is the public face of NSW (to say that he is the agenda setter may be taking it too far given the way in which he came to power), and as the public face of the state he's hardly the type of person who inspires the masses.

On that note...

Public not ready for my policies: Debnam

Debnam - "I don't have anything to add right now, but when the time comes I'll listen to the hard right and react to Iemma's reactions!"

What a state.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Although Debnam does have a point there. What would be the use in releasing policies so long out from a state election, which receives half the coverage of the federal arena. Notwithstanding this point, I suppose it doesn't mean that he can't 'outline' the vision that Liberal Party have for NSW; the apolitical nature of the layman is basically due to a distinct absence of knowledge of what each party stands for..

Iemma is weak, and has clearly been placed into a position that is beyond his capabilities..

The problem on both sides is the mass politicisation of a governmental role that is meant to be one of an administrative nature. No longer are each side concerned about the quality and efficiency of service delivery. The Public Service has become a quagmire of buzzwords and statistics, with each bureaucrat there to serve their own agenda in climbing up the greasy pole of promotion. Each politicised department cares nothing for the service recieved at the front counter by the consumer, but is more responsive to concerns that will in some manner impress the Director or Minister..spin is now the order of the day..

Realistically, the 'state' of the state is irrelevant. Even if a swing occurred towards the Liberal Party, it would be no where near enough to turn around the comprehensive majority that the ALP hold. The ALP will unfortunately be around for a few more years yet, and until the NSW Liberal Party get their act together,it will remain that way..

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think to support a party in the lower house is fine, but the upper house should be comprised of independents, who will look at issues not based on Party lines, but based upon the interests of the different groups in our society.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think to support a party in the lower house is fine, but the upper house should be comprised of independents, who will look at issues not based on Party lines, but based upon the interests of the different groups in our society.
Again, nimby syndrome kicks in.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Do I have to vote if I am 18? If yes, then next year would be my first vote. I don't know who to vote. Any suggestion?

X

xeuyrawp

politik said:
volksgemeinschaft!
Heh. <3.

Really, I think the Labor NSW party is the only real remnant of what Labor once was. That being said, I take preference to them over the Libs.

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatical said:
Do you not understand the natural flow of politics?

Even in customary lawed societies, you see 'parties' forming.

It's impossible not to have a party, unless you suggest that these independents shouldn't work together and form bonds. I mean, that's what a party is, one person standing up for another in the hope that he will be stood up for.

Really, go back to your idyllic land of no abortions. :rolleyes:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's 'In Opposition', the musical

(Enter Peter Debnam, dressed as a boy scout. He
clasps his hands in front of him and starts to sing
in a clear, piping voice. Tune: Tomorrow Belongs
to Me.)

Debnam: CityRail's trains are graffitied and late,
Buses are a raritee,
The Cross City Tunnel makes me all irate.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

Government schools have got holes in the roof,
You'll have to wait years to get a new knee,
Yet Premier Iemma looks smug, aloof.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

Our dams are all empty, our gardens are brown,
Our farms wilt from sal-ini-tee.
Teenagers are rioting all through town.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

(Gestures offstage.)

Join me, Barry!

(Enter Barry O'Farrell, wearing a huge drum
with cymbals and a mouth organ attached, and
holding in one hand a trumpet. He starts
accompanying Debnam.)

Debnam (Louder, more enthusiastic) :
Even in safe seats they're turning their backs.
The voters are all telling me:
"Morris is hopeless; we'll give him the axe."
Tomorrow belongs
Tomorrow belongs
Tomorrow belongs to me.

(Enter chorus of tradespeople, business leaders,
private school children in crisp uniforms and
yummy mummies.)

Chorus: But Deb-en-am, Deb-en-am, what is
your line?
Tell us now, what will you do?
(To each other, worried)

He's scratching his head; it's a worrying sign
It seems he just has no clue.

Debnam: O New South Wales, New South Wales
give me a break.
I'm keeping my pro-oh-file low.
Government's easy, a piece of cake.
Elect me first, then you'll know.

(Hides behind bush, still singing.)

Now-quiet! Stop talking! Pretend I'm not here!
I don't want more voters to see.
They'll never elects me if they're aware
Tomorrow belongs
Tomorrow belongs
Tomorrow belongs to me.

Christopher Henning

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The Liberal Party have next to no hope of winning the election in 2007. Aside from the absolutely impossible swing needed to govern in their own right, they simply have not yet provided one iota to the electorate as to what they will do differently, and how so. This combined with most constituents indifference to state issues, has well and truly sealed the party's fate.

Strategy, content and logic have well and truly gone out the window of the Liberal Party at state level. They appear to be responding to issues almost as willy-nilly as the Government, and if that's any indicator, electing them will only yield the same result. Heads need to roll in the state executive, or other upper strata of the party. Sure, they're trying to hold the government to account for complete and utter mismanagement, but noone is holding these power brokers to account for the same lack of direction within their own party. No person in their right mind will elect a party that cannot direct and organise themselves...:worried:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
I don't mind Debnam. He's just had no continuity in leadership..t.hat lack of continuity cannot translate into an election victory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)