Who's afraid of the big scary law degree? (1 Viewer)

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
ok, so when I picked law everyone I spoke to was pretty much like; "OH MY GOD GUYZ! YOU IS DOIN LAW!!! THAT IS HARD OH EM GEE"

You get the drift.

Now, I am studying at uow (hence the hardness drops about ten points) but it's really not that bad. I do the readings, do the notes and VOLA! it's done.

*No assignments as of yet*

But whaddya do to study for law?

At the moment I'm still in cruise mode. I would assume that this should be way harder than the HSC, so I guess I'm missing out on something.

Please and thank you

SpongeHead

HSC
hey eclipse,

Trust me, in due time the assessments will come down like a pile of bricks. You are lucky you haven't been given any assessments yet - I'm at unsw and in our first law lecture, we were given our "court observation ssignment" worth 10% and last week (week 2), the notes for our "case notes assignment" was put up onto webct worth 30%. Already two assessment (at the same time!). At least you are enjoying what you are doing; Just make sure you keep up with the readings, summaries etc and you will be fine!

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Whatever Spongehead said, you are just lucky.

As for me I've not felt this down since my birth, looking at the assignment schedules literally makes me want to throw up, though I am beginning to accept my cruel and untenable fate. I've decided to drop it and just do commerce if things don't go too well by the end of the semester.

Sigh~~What did I do wrong in my past life to be cursed with this fiasco, and imprisoned in the cells of a law school =.=.....

circusmind

HSC
Whatever Spongehead said, you are just lucky.

As for me I've not felt this down since my birth, looking at the assignment schedules literally makes me want to throw up, though I am beginning to accept my cruel and untenable fate. I've decided to drop it and just do commerce if things don't go too well by the end of the semester.

Sigh~~What did I do wrong in my past life to be cursed with this fiasco, and imprisoned in the cells of a law school =.=.....
Come off it mate. Five weeks into Torts and you're all ashes and sack-cloth and gnashing of teeth? If you don't enjoy Law, you don't enjoy it. But let's not pretend that an LLB is some particularly cruel form of torture.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
No tort, foundation of law only, all history.

circusmind

HSC
No tort, foundation of law only, all history.
Yeah fair enough, that legal history stuff is pretty dry. But really, 'soft' law topics like history/theory are nothing to be afraid of. Easier than black-letter stuff, anyway. If you really do despise law so much, and your opinion doesn't change by the end of the semester, transfer out. There are kids lining up to take your place, should you abandon it.

There's no point wailing about how hard done by you are. You've been fortunate enough to get a first-rate secondary education and get into a competitive program at a first-tier university. Not really the stuff of nightmares.

You really don't want to become one of the people who whinge constantly about law school, and yet choose to spend their career in the law, presumably to continue to whinge ad infinitum.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
It making me do crappier, then I guess so, but whether or not I will like the subject is another thing....still, I'll have to ride through this semester to avoid regret.

skynet89

HSC
fayel
fayhill
phayle
phail

imho drop out already, like someone said earlier you're lucky to be doing law at unsw, so let someone else do it

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Yeah fair enough, that legal history stuff is pretty dry. But really, 'soft' law topics like history/theory are nothing to be afraid of. Easier than black-letter stuff, anyway. If you really do despise law so much, and your opinion doesn't change by the end of the semester, transfer out. There are kids lining up to take your place, should you abandon it.

There's no point wailing about how hard done by you are. You've been fortunate enough to get a first-rate secondary education and get into a competitive program at a first-tier university. Not really the stuff of nightmares.

You really don't want to become one of the people who whinge constantly about law school, and yet choose to spend their career in the law, presumably to continue to whinge ad infinitum.
Foundations and history BS isn't law, give it a year before you think about dropping out. If I had gone by first semester only, I would have dropped out of law, but now I enjoy it.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
The assignments will pass and you'll wonder what the drama was. Class is, I find, generally the most enjoyable and easy part, along with (some of) the reading. Just work consistently, start the shit stuff as soon as you get it, find your materials for research asap, do a bit every day or so and you'll find it's not as bad as you think. And take each week at a time. It's like anything - break it down into bits and keep each bit under control and once the panic disappears, you'll probably enjoy it.

Oh man, Marmalade, I so agree. We got assigned the whole of Mabo in the third week or so and I thought it was the worst punishment ever, but once you get into the swing of it and can start linking topics and subjects together, it all kind of falls into place.

SoAmazing

HSC
Im actually doing my torts assignment now (procrastinating of course:bomb:). I guess law has started out pretty dry and Foundations isn't a particularly engaging subject but its not so bad. Its changing the way i think though (haha look at all the crime around us "was that ordinary conduct?!!")

Reckoner

HSC
If you don't want to be a lawyer then you shouldn't be studying law.

If you won't want to spend your career remembering legislation off by heart, or cases off by heart, then you shouldn't be studying law.

Because that's what you do in law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)