Whos going to UNSW, that lives in west sydney. (1 Viewer)

yoshi

Originally posted by Winston
catch bus early in the morning to liverpool which will take 20 minutes, then wait for train, catch train for 1 hour or more, then get off then catcha bus for 10 - 15 minutes
Hey Winston don't get down on that. I did that for the whole year to UNSW (apart from the last couple of months). It's not that bad, and you'll have plenty of time to read or whatever on the train. Just beware on the way back at night of the smooth massaging motions of the train.. zzz...

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I think i will end up at UNSW...
so that would mean the ferry from woolwich to circular quay...and this fabled bus that i keep hearing about from circular quay to UNSW
alas...i will not be there for another year so i have a while to figure it out while i'm in merry old England

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
I kno ppl that live in Blacktown and such that travel by train...apparently takes like 1 hr all up to get to uni
Originally posted by anti
People, people, people........... DRIVE. :)
Hmmm... driving from blacktown to UNSW... insane! :p
I don't know if that will work. I reckon it would be ova an hour each way :(
Dammit! Looks like public transport for me...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by yoshi
Hey Winston don't get down on that. I did that for the whole year to UNSW (apart from the last couple of months). It's not that bad, and you'll have plenty of time to read or whatever on the train. Just beware on the way back at night of the smooth massaging motions of the train.. zzz...

lol... how's computers there, you're doing comp sci at UNSW right yoshi? but from the looks of things is it better than comp sci at USYD =\

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
it depends what time you start as to how bad traffic is :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Comparing the facilities at UNSW and USYD - I have to say UNSW is better by far.

I spent a week at USYD for a camp once and the computers/campus were 'ok'. UNSW is more modern in comparison.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Comparing the facilities at UNSW and USYD - I have to say UNSW is better by far.

I spent a week at USYD for a camp once and the computers/campus were 'ok'. UNSW is more modern in comparison.
hmmm but distance is a bad factor, well ummm can u tell me wats the real issue that sucks at USYD? i mean what about job prospects is it safe to say the top 3 unis i.e. UNSW, USYD, UTS are all equal for job oppurtunitys?

And like is the teaching bad at USYD or something

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Hmm.. depending on what degree you want check out international qualifications. I know that UNSW architecture doesn't give you international accreditation or some crap. Engineering does of course :D

as far as teaching.. you'll get dodgy lecturers everywhere. ask someone who goes to usyd, i guess.

the thing i always find hilarious about USYD is that.. they're still full of paper.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Full of paper? :confused:

Do you mean, everything is on paper and nothing has been digitised?

I don't know what you mean by 'full of paper'. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
hmmm but distance is a bad factor, well ummm can u tell me wats the real issue that sucks at USYD? i mean what about job prospects is it safe to say the top 3 unis i.e. UNSW, USYD, UTS are all equal for job oppurtunitys?

And like is the teaching bad at USYD or something
Like feebz said you'll get bad teaching anywhere you go - there is no uni with all of its lecturers perfect.

Most unis will tell you it doesn't matter where you did your degree, as long as you have it they won't be too concerned, especially in the IT field where practical experience probably has a heavy weight.

Alot of the usyd stuff are still paper based. At UNSW the 'official' form of communication between students and the uni is email. They don't even post us results anymore and they've phased out the phone-in-to-get-your-results system because no one uses it.

USYD if you ask me just feels 'old'. The Madsen building is like a church with computers in it.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
haha
Originally posted by Huy
Full of paper? :confused:

Do you mean, everything is on paper and nothing has been digitised?

I don't know what you mean by 'full of paper'. :)
pretty much, yeah.
i wandered through once just before exams and they have exam timetables up on huge boards in some quad! like.. whoa. you have to search for your SID, and then WRITE DOWN your exam times.

well, i'm sure they have it online too :) but most of unsw doesn't bother with paper at all - in fact, a request to change classes once was only honoured after i sent an email to 'officially' verify.

as sunny said unsw is very conscious of internetty things. usyd doesn't seem to care.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Usyd is just traditional and probably does not want to break with such traditions (being renowned as a conservative university, IMO).

LOL "writing down your exam times" - you're so lazy anti! I'm sure you can remember a time before computers. :p

'You mean you have to use your hands? That's a baby's toy!' (Back To The Future)

Online systems are much easier though, and I can understand your frustration with paper - I'm a paper person, I like to write things down (traditional methods) and hand things in, instead of clicking away and 'going digital' (I can see the irony, about my posting - online).

It's a lot faster online, but it's nice to retain the old ways. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Huy, then you've missed the best of the UNSW enrolment system.

Just this year they phased out NewSouth Student - NSS, which is what we use to enrol.

You'd have to search for the class online. Then write down (OMG I needed to pick up a pen) the class number and then use NSS to enrol in it.

Now with myUNSW all that pick up a pen business is history.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yep, I've been to myUNSW - and I welcome such a change. It's not a bad thing, but we shouldn't forget the past, which is what I'm saying. :)

I hope everything goes to plan though, with myUNSW - excluding any hiccups or glitches in the system, otherwise we'd have to pick up our pens again! :eek:

:p

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm in Fairfield Exeter, a station away -- planning to go to UNSW also.

Fairfield, Yennora, Guildford, Merrylands, Granville.

Winston

HSC
meh well i duno now seriously but is the maths in UNSW comp sci course hard? :S cause i only did 2 unit maths and yeah.

Huy

HSC
N/A
You can always get somebody to tutor you, just ask for help -- that's the first step; asking. :)

Maybe a friend from the same course, a girl perhaps... ;) :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
NSS and myunsw rules...

plus our ID cards are much better than usyd

:p

lol is it like umm driver licence like? and the USYD ones are traditional laminated ones lol..

sunny

meh.
HSC
meh well i duno now seriously but is the maths in UNSW comp sci course hard? :S cause i only did 2 unit maths and yeah.
That depends if you like maths :|

First year comp sci involves two sessions of maths, math 1a and math 1b (or higher math 1a and higher math 1b), plus discrete maths in one of the sessions.

ie, in one of your sessions 18 of your 24 units of study will be maths.

Joy.

Its not impossibly 'hard', you might find it challenging to keep up.

Our student cards have the magnetic strip at the back for swipe card access!! That alone is worth picking unsw over usyd hands down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)