• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's ready for Year 11?! (2 Viewers)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Eg, just give Ext a try. I don't do it but the hype is overrated. I wasn't the best Yr 10 maths student, but I was capable of MX1. The scaling of it is so good too, so that's also incentive. Also, I HATED maths in yr 10, but in yr11/start of 12, it was much better.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Best wishes to you all. Hope you have a successful year :)

inJust

HSC
Why didn't you do maths? I mean I personally disdain the subject but hey 3U come at me ^.-
Well, when you're a student that ranked 2 for adv, 3 for ext 1, 2 for eco, 1 for modern, 7th for legal (lol stuffed up an assessment), and around bottom half for 2Umaths in prelims, would you drop it and pick up ext 2 eng and ext hist, where you know you're capable - albeit with hard work - to get a e4 for both?

Or would you stay with 2U maths and get a band 4 because it disinterests you and you'll end up studying other things with your time?

Eg155

HSC
Well, when you're a student that ranked 2 for adv, 3 for ext 1, 2 for eco, 1 for modern, 7th for legal (lol stuffed up an assessment), and around bottom half for 2Umaths in prelims, would you drop it and pick up ext 2 eng and ext hist, where you know you're capable - albeit with hard work - to get a e4 for both?

Or would you stay with 2U maths and get a band 4 because it disinterests you and you'll end up studying other things with your time?
whoa, whoa hold up. soz, i though u just didn't pick it even for prelims. i see your point of reason now.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Hahahahhaha
try HSC
This.

It's certainly a step up from year 10 and ect. But think of it as too much. More as a time to keep experimenting with study techniques ect.

That said make sure you're confident with year 11 content as for most subjects it's interrelated with the HSC course.

Eg155

HSC
^Eg, just give Ext a try. I don't do it but the hype is overrated. I wasn't the best Yr 10 maths student, but I was capable of MX1. The scaling of it is so good too, so that's also incentive. Also, I HATED maths in yr 10, but in yr11/start of 12, it was much better.
Thanks, I'll stick with it and let you know how it goes. If I fail the first assessment I'll leave then and only then :) (by fail I mean >80%)

Magical Kebab

HSC
You guys talk about marks, I only have 6 in Eco, 4 in physics, 4 in chem, 2 in mx1, 3 in ex1, and 20 or so in advanced Maths and english with about half which are going to drop down to general/standard and the rest are dumb. I'm gonna come first inn everything (not to be cocky but I'm srs) so will my marks be affected cos there will only be me doing x1 Maths at the end of yr 12 and only 4 in the sciences?

Eg155

HSC
This, ranks are way more important than marks. 90% isnt going to get you anywhere if its the lowest mark in your class. You would be far better of coming first with 65%.
Highly doubt I'll rank anywhere near the top at this new school. Everyone is Asian (sorry to be stereotypical but let's face it: they are machines).
If it was a really tightly ranked class, with, say everyone separated from the first ranked by 1 or 2 marks and everyone was getting 97/98+ in 3U and I was the last one on 96, would I be right to leave this (hypothetical) class? Even though these marks are pretty amazing for 3U???

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
You guys talk about marks, I only have 6 in Eco, 4 in physics, 4 in chem, 2 in mx1, 3 in ex1, and 20 or so in advanced Maths and english with about half which are going to drop down to general/standard and the rest are dumb. I'm gonna come first inn everything (not to be cocky but I'm srs) so will my marks be affected cos there will only be me doing x1 Maths at the end of yr 12 and only 4 in the sciences?
Never be complacent. People are more competitive in Year 11 and 12. A boy at my school in Year 7-10 use to be on alcohol and other illegal substances. Now he's doing extremely well. So expect the unexpected young warlock.

Highly doubt I'll rank anywhere near the top at this new school. Everyone is Asian (sorry to be stereotypical but let's face it: they are machines).
If it was a really tightly ranked class, with, say everyone separated from the first ranked by 1 or 2 marks and everyone was getting 97/98+ in 3U and I was the last one on 96, would I be right to leave this (hypothetical) class? Even though these marks are pretty amazing for 3U???
If you do what you are suppose to be doing and doing it efficiently then you will. :)

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
Never be complacent. People are more competitive in Year 11 and 12. A boy at my school in Year 7-10 use to be on alcohol and other illegal substances. Now he's doing extremely well. So expect the unexpected young warlock.

If you do what you are suppose to be doing and doing it efficiently then you will. :)

I believe there was a double question mark in my post -.-

Magical Kebab

HSC

Of course spiral but if I'm ranked 1st let's say out of 4 people or even 1/1, would I get affected?
Cheers again champion.

johnny1996

HSC
I'm nervous-in my scool,our subjects are picked 4 us based on our abilities?wat happens in the case of a wrong choice?help :D !!!!!!!

Pfortune35

HSC
lol - 'humans'- who else would you be referring to? :L

But anyone who would bludge in ext would have to be insane, son't they have to fit a 2unit in like 2 weeks and have a week to do the third unit? Idk, heard its realy high paced with no time to stop and breath...

why did i choose this? *contemplates dropping extension*
Its seriously not hard if you decent and maths and can keep up with the work. Besides 2 unit is a breeze until you get to integration
which comes pretty easy with practice anyway.

The key to ext 1 is practice and consistency. But some exams can get pretty hard out of nowhere

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)