• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's ready for Year 11?! (1 Viewer)

nazfiz

HSC
I'm nervous-in my scool,our subjects are picked 4 us based on our abilities?wat happens in the case of a wrong choice?help :D !!!!!!!
Dr. Ali generally chooses the right variety of subjects for most students. But the bad thing is if you've been bludging in junior school he won't let you do the 'harder' subjects. If you didnt get what you wanted you can always prove yourself in the early stages of this year so he might change your subs around. But in general you kinda locked in with the subs.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Dr. Ali generally chooses the right variety of subjects for most students. But the bad thing is if you've been bludging in junior school he won't let you do the 'harder' subjects. If you didnt get what you wanted you can always prove yourself in the early stages of this year so he might change your subs around. But in general you kinda locked in with the subs.
You guys should seriously take this matter further because the selection of your subjects should not be chosen by others. johnny and nazfiz, get all your mates to ring up the bos and complain. This isn't fair for you guys.

Examine

same
HSC
You guys should seriously take this matter further because the selection of your subjects should not be chosen by others. johnny and nazfiz, get all your mates to ring up the bos and complain. This isn't fair for you guys.
Malek Fahd, nuff said.

Pfortune35

HSC
No your right. The Islamic culture or Arabic culture in general are very obsessive academically. But again, that's in that perspective I don't take no offense whatsoever because everyone is speaking the truth, but with deep knowledge of Islam you understand it is perfect.

But, back on topic.
Wasn't really talking about islam at all, just expressing my own opinion on why the school is being the way it is.
They're trying to get a good rep and you really have to carve your own path when theres not many (if any) schools like yours

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Nazfiz used to go Malek Fahd :) (doesn't go there anymore)

Nothing has been able to stop Malek Fahd from doing what they want... It's been like that for many years and I think it won't change anytime soon...
That's what people have to face when they attend a school like Malek Fahd so yeah...
Only option: Change Schools
It's like wanting to do Business Studies at Ruse but not being able to do it, you just can't do anything about it really (you can try but very little chances)
Or wanting to do Standard English at most fully selective schools OR wanting to do a lower level of english than Extension 1 English in Year 11 at Sydney Boys...

It's like wanting to have dyed hair when attending Ngo & Sons (Truong), you just won't be able to do it. The power that Dr. Intaj Ali has over Malek Fahd students is very much comparable to the power that Truong has over his students or students in his tutoring centre.
The moment you attend Malek Fahd, you have to realise that there is no option of bludging around (yes, even in those supposedly useless junior years) so yeah...

To be honest, I don't think the Board of Studies can do anything about the decisions made by Malek Fahd...

Magical Kebab

HSC
Nazfiz used to go Malek Fahd :) (doesn't go there anymore)

Nothing has been able to stop Malek Fahd from doing what they want... It's been like that for many years and I think it won't change anytime soon...
That's what people have to face when they attend a school like Malek Fahd so yeah...
Only option: Change Schools
It's like wanting to do Business Studies at Ruse but not being able to do it, you just can't do anything about it really (you can try but very little chances)
Or wanting to do Standard English at most fully selective schools OR wanting to do a lower level of english than Extension 1 English in Year 11 at Sydney Boys...

It's like wanting to have dyed hair when attending Ngo & Sons (Truong), you just won't be able to do it. The power that Dr. Intaj Ali has over Malek Fahd students is very much comparable to the power that Truong has over his students or students in his tutoring centre.
The moment you attend Malek Fahd, you have to realise that there is no option of bludging around (yes, even in those supposedly useless junior years) so yeah...

To be honest, I don't think the Board of Studies can do anything about the decisions made by Malek Fahd...
Guess that's too bad.

Lina3

HSC
Just to the people saying MX1 is hard, it's really not that bad. I managed to pre-study three topics without (too much) sweat and tears. Trigonometry annoys me at times because there are just so many formulas and rules to remember, and I make dumb mistakes when differentiating a question where you need to use a combination of rules.... but other than that it's fine.This is coming from someone who had very mediocre marks last year, hence why I am pre studying.

Anyway, good luck to you all ^_^

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to the people saying MX1 is hard, it's really not that bad. I managed to pre-study three topics without (too much) sweat and tears. Trigonometry annoys me at times because there are just so many formulas and rules to remember, and I make dumb mistakes when differentiating a question where you need to use a combination of rules.... but other than that it's fine.This is coming from someone who had very mediocre marks last year, hence why I am pre studying.

Anyway, good luck to you all ^_^
Extension 1 Maths isn't hard to learn but the exams are quite difficult in some schools (like Sydney Girls sets easier papers while Sydney Boys sets harder papers). Having done Basic Algebra (absolute values, 3U inequalities, etc.), Functions (graphs, odd/even functions, domain & range, reciprocal graphs, etc) and Trigonometry at tutor so far, the exams have been quite hard and time consuming (I'm also a slower and careful worker so I usually just finish on time). Unlike 2U (where you can copy and paste your formulae), 3U really requires you to know how to approach questions. 2U and 3U content are easy to learn (to an extent) but applying your knowledge to the more difficult questions is quite challenging.
I mean the basics of Calculus (differentiation and even integration) for me was quite easy to learn by just reading Maths In Focus sheets which shows how the content can be learnt quite easily. Exams, however, will be challenging!

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
lol year 11 was a joke. All the teachers look down at year 11s and devote their time to the year 12s. I guess all you can do in year 11 is try what study methods best work well for you, and learn those foundation topics well.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
i was freaking about doing maths extension in prelim, thinking there was no way I'd be able to keep up with the work so I took on SLR just in case so I could drop maths extension if I needed to. Turns out prelim maths extension is really quite easy if you put a little effort in and I ended up with a good rank. Moral of the story: don't quit before you give it a try...and be positive! :D

Lina3

HSC
Extension 1 Maths isn't hard to learn but the exams are quite difficult in some schools (like Sydney Girls sets easier papers while Sydney Boys sets harder papers). Having done Basic Algebra (absolute values, 3U inequalities, etc.), Functions (graphs, odd/even functions, domain & range, reciprocal graphs, etc) and Trigonometry at tutor so far, the exams have been quite hard and time consuming (I'm also a slower and careful worker so I usually just finish on time). Unlike 2U (where you can copy and paste your formulae), 3U really requires you to know how to approach questions. 2U and 3U content are easy to learn (to an extent) but applying your knowledge to the more difficult questions is quite challenging.
I mean the basics of Calculus (differentiation and even integration) for me was quite easy to learn by just reading Maths In Focus sheets which shows how the content can be learnt quite easily. Exams, however, will be challenging!
Ahhh so that's why last year's yr 11 adviser complained about MX1 marks when we were chatting on the last day! She was honestly saying "Why do people even bother doing it if they don't even understand the concepts, let alone able to apply those concepts to a problem!"
Well hopefully the our work and consistency will pay off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)