why am i getting the wrong answer? maxima and minima questions (1 Viewer)

Lil Clutch

HSC
ok i can do this topic ok, been working on it in the holidays but theres only two questions i can not get, i get answers but theyre completely wrong! and theyre both a similar type of question, so i was wondering if someone can help me out and see what im doing wrong. ill just put one of the questions in, its from the fitzpatrick textbook 2u- page 344, exercise 15d, question 9!

ok. heres the question, a box in the shape of a cuboid with a square base is to be made so that the sum of its dimensions is 20cm. Find the maximum volume.

its so simple! and i can do all the other maxima and minima questions-but just this one i get wrong, just to let u know of the other question similar to this which i always get wrong...its in the studymate textbook, by margaret grove, page 92, Q31. and reads: the sum of the dimensions of a box with a square base is 48m. Find the maximum volume of the box.

so u see, the two questions are similar! so why do i get them wrong?

i approach all maxima and minima questions pretty much the same, i write out an expression for what needs to be maximised or minimised, and if theres two variables, i use info given to find a relationship between the variables and obtain my expression in one variable only, then i differentiate, find stationary points, determine their nature-hence min or max and then figure it out.

so with that first question, i simply wrote the volume, which is what needs to be maximised- as V=x^2 . h (ok its hard to read this-but im trying to communicate it as best as i can-the dot is multiply! the x is sqared, for the square base, and the h is the height of the thing).

Now it sed that the sum of the dimensions=20cm

so i sed x^2 + 4xh + x^2=20, is that right? sum of the dimensions?
and that simplifies to 2x^2+4xh=20
and then rearranging the thing, i got out

h= (20-2x^2) / 4x

and then subsituted this into the volume, so that

V= x^2 . (20-2x^2) / 4x

then differentiating that, i get dv/dx = 20-6x^2 / 4 ....is that right?

well for SP's, putting dv /dx=0, i get x is + or - sqaure root 10/3....which isnt the prettiest of all numbers...but i worked with it...and checked the second derivative of it, to find that positive square root of 10/3 gave a maximum

i sub it in the volume, and get v=6.085cm^3....which is completely wrong!!

so where did i go wrong? please help...and if u dont understand ne thing i wrote-just like do the questions ureselves and explain to me how u approached it. i appraoch all the questions, practically in this similar set up, so i just think its got something to do with my derivative, or a calculation or something...help soon. thanks

shafqat

HSC
N/A
i think sum of the dimensions mean summing the lengths of the sides, ie 2x + h

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Whoa! It's maths, not english. No need to write an essay. :p

Sum of dimensions = 20 = 2a+b
Volume=V(x)=a^2.b
b=20-2a
V(x)=a^2(20-2a)
V'(x)=2a(20-2a)+a^2*-2=0
20a-2a^2-a^2=0
a(20-3a)=0
a=0 or a=20/3
So dimensions: 20/3 x 20/3 x 20/3

But you could have seen that coming. The maximum area for a a rectangle is given by a square. Same goes for volumes and such.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Slide Rule said:
nice one steele, poor neggy :(

btw, nice signiture negs, but ill only get u the alcohol if u add me 2 it :D

Lil Clutch

HSC
lol. thanks people. no essay this time! but i am known for my wonderful english skills! nah, i just came online again to fix it up-coz i realised bout the dimensions thing! silly me. thanks alot anyway!

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
lol, renound 4 ur english aye, yeah but ur still in elliott's class so ur fuked anyway...

Lil Clutch

HSC
ok another question for my smart friends!

here goes another question ive struggled with:
studymate, margaret grove, pg 93, q45.

"from a circular disc of radius 4cm, a rectangle is cut. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be produced"

and

q52. "show that f(x)= x^n has a minimum turning point when n is a postivie even integer.

thanks for ne help. ill go ask teachers and stuff tomorrow, but ya know- ure input is all good and now im reconsidering it, coz its nearly midnite so i guess no one will be able to help it me right now! lol. ah well. anytime! its an older topic-we did geo applications of calculus last term but i was just revising. thanks!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
"from a circular disc of radius 4cm, a rectangle is cut. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be produced"

By inspection a square of side length 4sqrt2.

a and b are the sides on the rectangle
a^2+b^2=64 - length of diagonal of rectangle (radius 4, diameter 8, hypotenuse is diameter)
A(b)=ab
a=sqrt(64-b^2)
A(b)=bsqrt(64-b^2)
A'(b)=sqrt(64-b^2)-b^2/sqrt(64-b^2)=0
64-b^2-b^2=0
64=2b^2
b=4sqrt2

But I'm tired and I think I assumed the maximum occurs when the hypotenuse is the diameter.

Pace_T

HSC
Slide Rule said:
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Slide Rule again.

:eek:

rama_v

HSC
Pace_T said:
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Slide Rule again.

:eek:
It means exactly what it says :) You cant keep repping someone...u have ppl other than slide rule too :D, it wont let you rep the same person over and over (for obvious reasons).

Pace_T

HSC
yeh but its funny tho, that's why i posted it
i actualy repped him ages ago if i remember correctly, so its got a long memory which is pretty good lol
...but slide rule deserves the rep lol! he's so helpful :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)