why anu? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
There should be a new word for bad, and wrong. A stronger word, like badong. From now on I shall stand for the opposite of bad, gnodab.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
ANU has a Pre Enrolment Advice Day where you can talk to faculty members about courses. I'm not too sure of the date, it's usually in mid-Jan.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Bolkonski said:
Yeah, I presume it would be quite weird for asians... to study themselves...

they are all in Commerce, come on.

But then again, I do do a mastabutory major. English. We sit around and come up with new words. And theories. And then theories about those words, and try and use other words we make up to explain the theories of the words we just made up.
Seriously though,

do english.

but seriously.

every 2nd person does Asian studies. If courses were cliched.... and so on and so forth bla bla bla.
lol see post in chinese forum
at ANU? the cutoff is..80, right?
*shakes fist vindictively*
me do law!

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
They have the best philosophy department in Australia...
They have the best (only) asian studies faculty in Australia...
They are the top university in science research (which must be a positive for undergrads)...

I've always been interested in taoism, but am unsure whether to do asian studies or bach. of religions - I know this won't get me a job but I believe that university is more than job preparation...

So I guess I'll be able to combine all three +ves above into my degree...

Last edited:

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
Anu's (or what I like to call Anus) undergrad side is being downsized drastically from 10 000 spots to 6000 to make way for 4000 more spots in the post grad side of things.

I.e. Anu is caring less and less about variety and performance in Undergraduate courses.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
my uai is 5 marks below the 2004 cut-off...so how are the chances of still getting in? *sniffle*

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
why ANU?
good question.
I would like to direct your attention to the letter that all law students recieved, as it says anything that can be said to wank to ANU and tothe prospective student... making the wanking more believeable.

its true. really it is.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
umm do u have a few reasons why anu is better than say uts?
i need to convince my dad that anu is the way to go! help!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
What degree do you want to study? Where do you live in sydney? What job do you want at the end? These details would make it easier to help....

phrred

HSC
Tell them ANU is consistently the best ranked uni in Aust and top 3 in Asia/Pacific (but they might not believe u). if u wanna do sumthn like philosophy, i saw it got ranked 3rd in the world. its good for law n arts as well
theyre cutoffs r gettin higher tho, i think 85 was the lowest cutoff in my yr

Evilo

HSC
its been awesome and its away from home. I have friends back in sydney who have found it really depressing living at home and going to uni everyday. Here i have my own independence and responcibility - but im close enough to home that if something goes wrong i can take a bus. Definatly a good decision, its great here.

RyelleBlitz

HSC
I want to go to ANU fro several reasons...

a) My dad's in Canberra .: cheap accomodation.
b) I know the area and buses xD
c) Isn't it ranked 1st or 2nd Uni in Australia?
d) International relations.
e) Um.. I guess I was sucked in by the 'propagnda' xD

mudcake42

HSC
So yes I know... I'm sure people have asked this 100 times over...

but is canberra really a hole? I'd be at ANU in like a second but although I'm not really a 'party' person ... I still would like some civilisation and life at night.

thanks guys

Evilo

HSC
Short answer no - Thrusday night is uni party night (and it goes off), friday/saturday has more townies in the scene. It's no sydney (where you can go out every night of the week to club), but its not some hole. Also your college will organise social events too. TBH each hall has 2-500 students, and theres over 6 of them, theres plenty of students to party.

ambrose1

HSC
Bolkonski or others,
if there are way less undergrad places for 2008 does that mean that the UAI's will go up?

Evilo

HSC
It's usually based on supply and demand. There are a constant number of places, but if there are 300 people for 100 spots, then yes the uai will increase. Last year it was a guarantee that a 75 uai would get you into (almost anything) - i was trying to find the page on the anu website, but i couldnt find it. Sorry i cant be any more help - perhaps call anu admissions and ask.

ambrose1

HSC
so is there a way of finding out how many or at least getting a general idea of how many people applied for either a university or a particular course and then based on the fact that the number of places will stay the same knowing what direction the UAI will change. if i rang ANU admissions and asked them how many people have applied for a particular course would they give me an answer? I doubt it. Thanx anyway.

Evilo

HSC
no but they would say what the projected uai is, and what last years UAI is, you can work out if they're expecting a greater number of students or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)