Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (2 Viewers)

HSC
smash smash smash thats the sound of my forehead against the keyboard

a theory, you dolt, is merely a way of explaining a set of observations. a principle to explain a set of phenomena, ok? these observations are proven. there is empirical data to support these observations. so thus, the theory of evolution is a way of explaining these observations that are fact.

a law is a principle that you derive from a certain set of observations. so you consider newtons law of gravity - a set of observations that can be measured and repeated and replicated etc. keeping in mind that a law can surpassed by a theory as the law of gravitation was superseded by einteins theory of special relativity.

a set of observation that make up a theory must be able to be verified scientifically. evolution will never become a law. the atomic theory will probably never become a law. it doesn't mean that they're not factual or valid. ffs.
hmm, ok , i think even you didnt understand what you wrote.

either way it doesnt matter.

evolution is still not a fact.

evolution is just a popular idea of how life got to where it is now.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
actually yes i do, but my understanding of it is different.

yes there are aspects of natural selection that can be proven to be scientific fact. but natural selection in itself isn't a scientific fact because it cannot be proven definately.

think about it. evolution doesnt have to work the way it does. there are still uncertainties about how genes and dna work etc.

what im basically trying to say is that evolution by natural selection isnt like how gravity works. you throw something in the air (within the limits of the atmosphere), it must come down. with evolution...hmmm not quite sorry.​

even if u say otherwise, you are wrong unless you can explain everything without any doubt.
Fucking hell man, my patience has just about run its course. Nothing in biology can be proven. Only mathematical conjectures can be "proven" into theorems. As far as anything in biology and the physical sciences can be fact, beyond reasonable doubt, evolution is fact.

Aren't you supposed to be doing a science degree?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
hmm, ok , i think even you didnt understand what you wrote.

either way it doesnt matter.

evolution is still not a fact.

evolution is just a popular idea of how life got to where it is now.
I'm going to make this real big so maybe you can understand.
EVOLUTION IS A FACT.

Get it? Got it? Good.

HSC
Fucking hell man, my patience has just about run its course. Nothing in biology can be proven. Only mathematical conjectures can be "proven" into theorems. As far as anything in biology and the physical sciences can be fact, beyond reasonable doubt, evolution is fact.

Aren't you supposed to be doing a science degree?
wow dude, you replied heaps fast lmao.

yes iam doing a science degree.

but i just cannot accept evolution as a scientific fact.

hmm we need a compromise.

Evolution by natural selection is both a fact and a theory.

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/factandtheory.html

"The theory of Evolution is an explantion of the facts of evolution"

Happy?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
wow dude, you replied heaps fast lmao.

yes iam doing a science degree.

but i just cannot accept evolution as a scientific fact.

hmm we need a compromise.

Evolution by natural selection is both a fact and a theory.

Evolution - Fact AND Theory

"The theory of Evolution is an explantion of the facts of evolution"

Happy?
Then what's your problem?

Theory is to a mathematical theorem as a hypothesis is to a mathematical conjecture. The only difference is that conjectures can be proven.

HSC
Uni Grad
I understand that Christianity is the dominant religion in Australia, but it is right also to acknowledge that Australia has a diversity in culture and faiths. For this reason i am bewildered as to WHY Christianity, moreso monotheistic faiths, are targeted? There are many other faiths out there atheists can target, like the immanent Buddhism and Hindu faiths, or perhaps atheists may decide to take a turn at questioning the "innovative" jediism faith emerging or the "Wiccan" faith (witches and stuff).

And i ask that you maintain your maturity in answering this question and not fire offensive remarks towards Christianity
Well you know, Atheists attack Christianity and other religions mostly because of their 'commandments' and how it affects the social libertarianism that is going on, changing the world.

But you know, religion can be interpreted in many perspectives. However, most people will look for the quotes as said by the Bible or Quran or any religious book, interpret them in their own way (which in the start, was probably ignorant assumptions from the religious books) and then spread it to everyone. They then create their branches or denominations. More sub-branches are made... (even you'd know that Westboro Baptist Church, which doesn't even represent Christian values, and primarily their own rules).

Those denominations will have differences in sayings from Anglican to Catholic.... or whatever. Then there will be political branches that are considered to be either socially conservative or socially liberal, or whatever. Most of the time, Atheists will pick on the socially conservative sides for their 'authoritative rule', like their stances on gay marriage, abortion, the death penalty, etc. Now those values will be criticized.

Personally, I am atheist, even though I don't like those values and have opposing views from them, I mean, you can't just attack a whole religion and their believers just based on these assumptions.

As for others, they like to pick on christianity, since they make jokes like the flat earth, and since it's a type of creationism, which is considered anti-science.

From what I know though, most believers of creationism believe in science and evolution, since it's from a realistic point of view =P

HSC
Then what's your problem?

Theory is to a mathematical theorem as a hypothesis is to a mathematical conjecture. The only difference is that conjectures can be proven.
nah no problem now that you've accepted evolution as both fact and theory.

HSC
That was directed at ConquerDiscover sorry kt.

Funfact: Scandinavia has some of the least religious populations in the world and the highest standards of living.
Funfact: Scandinavia doesnt have a high standard of living due to its mostly atheist population. There are other factors in play aswell. Mostly because they have lots of natural resources for a small population, a bit like Australia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)