Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (1 Viewer)

redfield

HSC
You forgot the alternatives that either the natural world, the supernatural world or both simply don't exist.
Now the latter brings up the entire endless argument of metaphysics and the question of existence, so it shall be ignored. But the other two options are equally likely. If the supernatural doesn't actually exist, then it means that science is perfectly right to use only it's own lens, as the lens can see everything anyway.
Alternatively if the natural world doesn't exist that would mean we exist amongst the supernatural. But the fact that this supernatural world has shown itself to be bound by observable and scientific rules means that it is either no different to the natural world or that it is a cruel mockery of order, an order which every deity worshipped upon Earth lays claim to creating (possible exceptions existing within Hindu mythology, of which I am mostly ignorant). This means that all these are claims upon something which doesn't exist, leading to the idea that the gods are all false.
Why does only the natural world or the supernatural world have to exist? Why can they not coexist? Science was constructed to categorise the natural. It is for this reason that science cannot explain religion, as religion is of the supernatural and thus cannot be categorised. And it is a very limited lens as it cannot 'see' everything anyway. Otherwise science would provide the same things religion does but on a 'natural', materialistic basis. But of course science doesn't perform this function.

Since you view religion in terms of science, you have these atheistic beliefs because science only categorises the natural, and religion cannot be categorised because it is not of the natural. It's like trying to view an elephant through a magnifying glass - of course the magnifying glass is not going to see the elephant as an elephant for the very reason that the elephant is bigger than the magnifying glass, and the magnifying glass cannot see it for what it really is.

But I don't believe anyone is truly this stupid to actually believe a God doesn't exist. Majority of you are just seeking attention, and trying to be revolutionaries. There's nothing new under the sun.

stackers11

HSC
Isn't that the same for atheists, always pushing their beliefs down christians throats?

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Nothing supernatural is real. Nothing can defy the physical laws of the universe. Why would you believe in such a thing?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Without God, the Nothing is strong. The Nothing is very strong: strong enough to steal away a man's best years not in sweet sins but in a dreary flickering of the mind over it knows not what and knows not why, in the gratification of curiosities so feeble that the man is only half aware of them. When you stare into the Nothing for long enough, the Nothing also stares into you.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Without God, the Nothing is strong. The Nothing is very strong: strong enough to steal away a man's best years not in sweet sins but in a dreary flickering of the mind over it knows not what and knows not why, in the gratification of curiosities so feeble that the man is only half aware of them. When you stare into the Nothing for long enough, the Nothing also stares into you.
Got visual image of Neverending Story.

redfield

HSC
Nothing supernatural is real. Nothing can defy the physical laws of the universe. Why would you believe in such a thing?
How do you know nothing supernatural exists?

And the being that created the physical laws of the universe can defy them. Makes perfect sense.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
How do you know nothing supernatural exists?
How do you know russel's celestial teapot doesn't exist?

I could put any absurd proposition to you, that there is a secret society of lizard men living in caverns deep within the earth, and manipulating earths political leaders through mind control, and ask you the same question, how do you know this doesn't exist?

Do you accept the reality of the threat posed by the reptilians? It's existence is as certain as the existence of anything supernatural.

In the absence of any proof, the only sound position is to be agnostic about the existence of celestial teapots, reptilians and the supernatural.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Love
Hope
Joy
Faith
Charity
Prudence
Justice
Fortitude
Temperance
Wisdom
Understanding
Counsel
Knowledge
Piety
Fear of teh Lord
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Generosity
Gentleness
Modesty
Self-control
Chastity

redfield

HSC

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
That mentality will never work on the internet unfortunately.

So do most atheists here believe that Christians force their beliefs onto others? Is this why Christians suffer such an online backlash? I am also slightly bemused as to why this happens...

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
The intellectual basis for Christianity (and all other religions) was destroyed centuries ago. Anyone who is a Christian/Muslim on this site is so because they were indoctrinated by their parents (who in turn were indoctrinated by theirs).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I'd also be interested to see what atheists believe initiated the creation of the universe. I know they'll rattle off something about the bing bang theory, but it's funny how they never consider what initiated the whole thing.

So?

Not having an answer doesn't make yours answer any more valid.

"What's the sqaure root of 2359.21?"

You: "I think it's 10!"

Me: " I really don't know.

You: "Haha you're an idiot my answer is obviously right coz you don't have an answer!"

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
The intellectual basis for Christianity (and all other religions) was destroyed centuries ago. Anyone who is a Christian/Muslim on this site is so because they were indoctrinated by their parents (who in turn were indoctrinated by theirs, ad infinitum).
Fixed.
NOW THE IRONY SHALL DESTROY YOU ALL.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Initially you cannot 'ignore' an endless argument, as this means your entire argument collapses as you have not considered this case.
Sure I can ignore it.
Watch me.
No, what I meant was that argument has been gone over 382393 times in the Philosophy thread, is incredibly lengthy, and we all know the different stances one can take so I had a cbf moment and ignored it.

Furthermore, you have not considered a world where both supernatural and natural coexist.
I didn't need to. OP already did it.

In addition, your point about the other options being equally likely is incorrect implementation of Ockham's Razor. 'Likelihood', 'probability' and science for that matter have absolutely no relevance to a palce beyond space and time, where the creation of the Universe occured. Even mathematics, cannot be used to prove or disprove God's existence as it is based on axioms of human construct that themselves cannot be proven, and anyway collapse beyond space and time.

Ah, but when you have no empirical or scientific evidence for the probability of an event, it is perfectly reasonable to assign equal probabilities amongst all the possibilities, as there is absolutely no evidence for favouring the likelihood of one event over another.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Love
Hope
Joy
Faith
Charity
Prudence
Justice
Fortitude
Temperance
Wisdom
Understanding
Counsel
Knowledge
Piety
Fear of teh Lord
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Generosity
Gentleness
Modesty
Self-control
Chastity
I like how you just threw Chastity on the end there, even though it's not an emotional state.

redfield

HSC
So?

Not having an answer doesn't make yours answer any more valid.

"What's the sqaure root of 2359.21?"

You: "I think it's 10!"

Me: " I really don't know.

You: "Haha you're an idiot my answer is obviously right coz you don't have an answer!"
So you've admitted science is limited?

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that something supernatural initiated the creation of the universe? Using the laws of the universe "Matter can neither be created nor destroyed". Take, for example, a book lying on a table. The book is not going to move without some force beyond itself. How, then, can the universe initiate its own creation? Of course it can't! Energy cannot just appear out of nowhere. Using a similar principle, a force beyond itself had to initiate the universe, i.e. the supernatural had to create the natural. This makes the concept of a supreme being (God) perfectly logical.

So, as you can see, your analogy is completely irrelevant. I'm using logic to arrive at my conclusion. Not just shouting out a random answer.

The fact of the matter is that scientific reasoning actually complements religion quite nicely when science is not an entity in itself.

redfield

HSC
Love
Hope
Joy
Faith
Charity
Prudence
Justice
Fortitude
Temperance
Wisdom
Understanding
Counsel
Knowledge
Piety
Fear of teh Lord
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Generosity
Gentleness
Modesty
Self-control
Chastity
Correct. All come as a result of our rationality and free will.
I'm interested that no one commented on the Lourdes example I gave. I was getting ready to shell out some more examples, but you've all gone quiet! No surprise, though; I'd go quiet too if I were an atheist.

Last edited:

fallingstar

HSC
The intellectual basis for Christianity (and all other religions) was destroyed centuries ago. Anyone who is a Christian/Muslim on this site is so because they were indoctrinated by their parents (who in turn were indoctrinated by theirs).
what a ridiculous assumption!
absolutely false.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)