• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

why are cut offs decreasing? (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Guys in all honesty, $100k really isn't that much in todays terms. Its 2008, not 1988.

On $100k, you're paying $33k in tax.

X

xeuyrawp

ippie said:
fuck why don't we all become hairdressers?

I never knew a trade can get you 90k. I always thought 90k = managerial corporate job.

shit.
Because it's actually more difficult than it looks?

fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
according to Group Training Australia, apprentices (or ex-apprentices) can earn up to $100,000 after 5 years of starting their apprenticeship.
You also need to remember that that's looking at the top of the average group (ie, 'decent' hairdressers), not the ones which own Tony & Guy + franchises, or people who have a name for themselves with a few rich customers.

blue_chameleon said:
Guys in all honesty, $100k really isn't that much in todays terms. Its 2008, not 1988.

How does first thesis relate to second statement? =/

And I'm sorry to tell you, but you have a warped view of reality if you think that $100k isn't much. I'm going to be really happy with an ARC PhD or postdoc scholarship, and that's more than being 5 years of an apprentice, and a lot less than $100k. :p

I doubt the difference between what I make and $100k/y would make me much more of a happy person. I'd probably just buy more crap off ebay. =/

blue_chameleon

HSC
PwarYuex said:
How does first thesis relate to second statement? =/

And I'm sorry to tell you, but you have a warped view of reality if you think that $100k isn't much. I'm going to be really happy with an ARC PhD or postdoc scholarship, and that's more than being 5 years of an apprentice, and a lot less than $100k. :p

I doubt the difference between what I make and $100k/y would make me much more of a happy person. I'd probably just buy more crap off ebay. =/
The second statement relates to the first by showing the amount people actually receive in pocket on their $100k. For every dollar you earn at that amount, you'll pay 33 cents of it in tax. I didn't think that it was that hard to see the link between the two really.

I never actually said that I didn't think that amount wasn't that much, period. Rather, I said its not a lot in todays terms, meaning it doesn't go far, when you have greater commitments than most of us here currently do.

Im not saying its not a figure that I wouldn't be happy with taking, but you really have to look at the amount of money available in some industries to put it in perspective.

We are seeing a rising number of fields where $100k really isn't difficult to achieve with some smarts and a decent commitment.

EDIT: Back on topic? I cant really comment, other than supply/demand?

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
go to perth and go to the mines.

no degree needed. no experience.

100k a year straight away.

williamc

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Because it's actually more difficult than it looks?
and you would know how?

90% of my mates are tradeys.

They have it so easy.

Work 6am-3am. Come home, have nothing to do. Go get loose on the weekends. Get paid. Rock up to tafe and pass.

The cost of being a tradey besides the early starting hours, is the salary. (generally)

But if tradey salaries were to be, what has been advertised in this thread, a fair few people would seriously start to consider there future. I know i would.

williamc

HSC
iwannarock said:
go to perth and go to the mines.

no degree needed. no experience.

100k a year straight away.
you sir are incorrect.

100k a year straight away are for qualified people. No not neccesarily degree qualified, more-so, completed mechanic apprenticeship on heavy machinery, excavator license (which you can't get overnight) etc.

If i rocked up to the mines. i gurantee you i wouldnt be on 100k. I would be on like 60 k a year, either on a 10 on 10 off, or 5 on, 5 off rooster. If i worked under pay goes up like 20k a year. But not seeing the sun for days on end can really take its toll, according to my dad's mate.

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
williamc said:
you sir are incorrect.

100k a year straight away are for qualified people. No not neccesarily degree qualified, more-so, completed mechanic apprenticeship on heavy machinery, excavator license (which you can't get overnight) etc.

If i rocked up to the mines. i gurantee you i wouldnt be on 100k. I would be on like 60 k a year, either on a 10 on 10 off, or 5 on, 5 off rooster. If i worked under pay goes up like 20k a year. But not seeing the sun for days on end can really take its toll, according to my dad's mate.
hey im just going on what i heard on an ad on the radio 2 months back. there were a tonne of jobs available.

100k straight away. in the mines.

1 week on then one week off.

if i could remember the site i'd show you.

blue_chameleon

HSC
iwannarock said:
hey im just going on what i heard on an ad on the radio 2 months back. there were a tonne of jobs available.

100k straight away. in the mines.

1 week on then one week off.

if i could remember the site i'd show you.
Working in the mines, isn't a long-term prospect.

iwannarock

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Working in the mines, isn't a long-term prospect.
if the mine collapses and you survive and sell your story for millions it becomes a long term prospect.

:santa:

X

xeuyrawp

blue_chameleon said:
I didn't think that it was that hard to see the link between the two really.
... I think everyone knows that you get taxed. Your point didn't make sense to me because you were making an observation that had no actual implication.

Cf: If you earn nothing, you get taxed nothing from that.

EDIT: Back on topic? I cant really comment, other than supply/demand?
I don't think anyone could get back on topic without repeating what was in the first few posts. Feel free to do so if you'd like. =/

williamc said:
and you would know how?
Lol?

you sir are incorrect.
Lol again.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
williamc said:
you sir are incorrect.

Please use proper referencing.

ippie

HSC
blue_chameleon said:

Obviously, mate, you are naive.

You think the way the govt wants you to think.

If I was earning 100k a year, fuck I would do whatever I can do decrease the amount of tax I pay. Legally, of course.

How?

Investing *smiles*

Look at Kerry Packer man, he said he paid $500 in tax. He could, of course, pay $0, but he felt the govt needed his 500.

But fuck that, technically he didn't get any remuneration - I think. Well, I *do* know his son doesn't get any remuneration - says so in the last edition of BRW (the freebie at the U&MQ shop?)

blue_chameleon

HSC
ippie said:
Obviously, mate, you are naive.

You think the way the govt wants you to think.

If I was earning 100k a year, fuck I would do whatever I can do decrease the amount of tax I pay. Legally, of course.

How?

Investing *smiles*

Look at Kerry Packer man, he said he paid $500 in tax. He could, of course, pay $0, but he felt the govt needed his 500.

But fuck that, technically he didn't get any remuneration - I think. Well, I *do* know his son doesn't get any remuneration - says so in the last edition of BRW (the freebie at the U&MQ shop?)
Um, yeah. I know about investment strategies to reduce tax, amongst many other things. Thats what im involved in 4 - 5 days a week. That doesn't mean that just because you see a financial planner/accountant that you're necessarily going to get massive reductions in your tax. Its not that cut and dry.

Just on that actually, you'd be quite surprised as to the amount of people out there earning six figure salaries that aren't seeking advice on how to manage their money.

From my observations, I really don't believe im being naive.

williamc

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Lol?

Lol again.
I don't get it?

Are you a tradey? Are your best friends tradesman? Or do you just read on the intanetz?

AsyLum said:
Please use proper referencing.
ill do what i want, thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

williamc said:
I don't get it?

Are you a tradey? Are your best friends tradesman? Or do you just read on the intanetz?
Did you even read the fucking post?

pwaryuex said:
ippie said:
Because it's more difficult than it looks?
Do you need it repeated?

ippie said:
Here, again:

ippie said:
In case you don't get it:

ippie said:

williamc

HSC
PwarYuex said:

Do you need it repeated?

Here, again:

no im not asian. i could perfectly read it the first time.

ippie

HSC
PwarYuex said:

Do you need it repeated?

Here, again:

lolololol winnnnn

whoo im quoted 4 times lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)