Why BOS ALWAYS lags (1 Viewer)

Jeo

I know of a forum, which has about 600 people online at any time. They have 5 load balanced Dual Xeons, and each server is on a 100mbit port. I have never seen that forum lag even slightly.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Dudes, before you ask people to donate, make sure there is an option to donate. :p

And is it just me or is the selection menu up the top missing, too?

Llib

HSC
Education is a neglected part of life, online and in the real world. If you look at some gaming and movie website and servers, you'll definitely notice they get higher priority in bandwidth and speed. I mean no one cares about 'unexciting' or boring nerds talking about school and assignments, in real life or online. Plus nerds only make up a very small part of all students in the country.

Why would someone care about "nerds" complaining about slow speeds when d/loading assignments and trial papers, when d/loading exciting Half-life 2 movies or getting the best ping on UT2004 servers are "obviously" the higher order and much more popular, therefore given the higher priority.

There is nothing u can do about this; unless someone sympathetic donates their PC as a server for this site. About the problem, they should put the files and the forum on separate servers. Can anyone suggest / do something better?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
jumb said:
I just spent 5 mins there and cant find it.

Also, im surprised that this is run by an overseas company.
Everyone who runs the site (and owns the company behind it) is in Australia... it's just the actual data that is stored overseas. :)

View the source of the page and search for paypal and you'll find out the location of the icon.

Dual Xeons are nice, but expensive. Server costs are our number one problem.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Lazarus said:
View the source of the page and search for paypal and you'll find out the location of the icon
I found it in the source, the only problem is that entire PayPal form code is commented out....which explains why no one has been able to find it!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
wrx said:
how are these costs funded? And jus curious, how much bandwidth does BoS go through a month?
We hold dance parties and seminars to raise revenue for the site. :) Outbound data is generally 150+ GB per month.

sunny said:
I found it in the source, the only problem is that entire PayPal form code is commented out....which explains why no one has been able to find it!
Oh... well that was unexpected.

I'll have to get Tim to fix it.

Jeo

You could get an unmanaged RLX dual xeon for about $170 us per month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)