Why did you initially sign up for Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

Leap

free falling
HSC
Like Lemonade, I chose ext 2 because English has always been my 'thing.' I used to want to be an author...not anymore.
I blame my english teachers for deluding me into thinking I was a good writer :rolleyes:

Saul

*ss
HSC
but you got to ask yourself, if it was scaled badly and/or capped, would you have chosen it? i know i would have thought twice.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
you can apply the same logic to ext 2 maths...if the scaling is bad, why do it? at the same time, ancient greek ext is scaled up so much, would you do it? i guess a lot of it got to do with personal interest.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For the chics it pulls in .. hahahhaha

nah i loved the concept of free thought :D and writing about a guy that constantly blows his brains out :D

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i cant believe how many people base their choices around scaling. that's really sad, i think. i do subjects i like regardless of scaling - 4u english, both histories (which scale APPAULINGLY) & society and culture (maybe even worse than history). the hsc is designed for people who choose subjects they are GOOD at and enjoy; those are the people who are always going to maximise their results.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I have no idea why.

It seemed like a good idea at the time - plus I wanted to drop 3u maths. I really sucked at it, and I figured that since I had to stay at the 10 units or more mark I may as well pick up something that I like...

Although I must say, doing 4u english has made me a lot more impatient with 2u. I just don't want to do it anymore. *shrug*

But yeah. Mainly to keep my head above the waterline.:rolleyes:

Saul

*ss
HSC
i picked the subjects that I like and am good at, as well as those scaled high. if 4 english was scaled badly, i would have done one that i liked that was scaled better. I wouldn't jus do a subject cause its scaled high.

lemonade

Coffs Harbour, but will soon be in Brisbane
i didnt pick any of my subjects for scaling - and most of my subjects are the ones that are considered 'easy'.
it wouldnt be a good idea to choose subjects because of scaling, because u wouldnt necessarily like them, and i think to go well in something you really have to like it.
I would have done 4 unit even if it did scale badly - i hardly even knew about scaling when i was picking (no one really told me anything back then - or i didn't listen).

and i dont do any maths. everyone always gives me this sympathetic look when i say that...

id have to admit though, even though i didnt pick 4 unit for the scaling, it has helped me along (i would never have dropped it though!)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by lemonade
i didnt pick any of my subjects for scaling - and most of my subjects are the ones that are considered 'easy'.
it wouldnt be a good idea to choose subjects because of scaling, because u wouldnt necessarily like them, and i think to go well in something you really have to like it.
I would have done 4 unit even if it did scale badly - i hardly even knew about scaling when i was picking (no one really told me anything back then - or i didn't listen).

and i dont do any maths. everyone always gives me this sympathetic look when i say that...

id have to admit though, even though i didnt pick 4 unit for the scaling, it has helped me along (i would never have dropped it though!)
THANK YOU LEMONADE!

three cheers for you. i dont do any maths or sciences either, and i'm proud of it. people treat it like it's compulsory; it's not. and if you don';t do it, it doesn't take away from your intelligence either.

and i definitely agree that, in most cases, to do well in something you have to really like it. it's a years worth of constant work and assessments and exams - i'd hate to pick something i didn't like as much as something else, because it didn't scale as well, and end up sick to death of it and regretting that i hadn't chosen the other subject.

narrator

HSC
N/A
all these people doing ext2 just for the scaling, what's wrong with this picture? i picked the subject because it's fun playing god.

Muah, ha, ha.

anyway, if the work sucks then scaling won't help much, i reckon if you did the course only because of the scaling then you did it for the wrong reason.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I remember when I first trying to decide on my subjects, i wanted to do 17 units. people laughed at me :( coz I am basically interested in everything. then I limited down to 12 (without extension 2 maths and english). i eventually added two more units in :) so I actually do more units in my HSC course than the Prelim.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
and i definitely agree that, in most cases, to do well in something you have to really like it. it's a years worth of constant work and assessments and exams - i'd hate to pick something i didn't like as much as something else, because it didn't scale as well, and end up sick to death of it and regretting that i hadn't chosen the other subject.
i didn't do sciences either, and only did 2u maths, and coming from the school that i came from that was a huge deal.

you're so right spin spin, it all comes down to what your interests lie in.. and you know what really pisses me off, when science kids go "oh yeah you just picked easy, bludgy subjects like art and 4u english..

in my opinion, creative subjects like art, drama, music, textiles, DT-where you need to make major work(s) by the end of the year- are much more demanding than high school science subjects, a lot of them requiring you to simply memorise shit from a textbook.

Leanne

HSC
Originally posted by johnson
.. in my opinion, creative subjects like art, drama, music, textiles, DT-where you need to make major work(s) by the end of the year- are much more demanding than high school science subjects, a lot of them requiring you to simply memorise shit from a textbook.
i totally agree wiv u and spin spin sugar! i do no maths or sciences....( i use the creative part of my brain!) and most of my subjects are considered to be 'easy'- art, drama, community and family studies, modern history and 4 unit english.....well apart from the latter i spose.....but i've had 4 major works..and i reckon that takes a lot more guts than doing maths and science h/w once in a while.....

and i love all my subjects.. and got top 10% in the 1st three...thats better than failing maths and science!

Saul

*ss
HSC
i find it amusing how both sides are so prejudice. You got the math nerds saying anything which isn't logical is a bludge, and you got you guys saying that everything logical is shit.

To have a well rounded education, i think we need both.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by Saul
i find it amusing how both sides are so prejudice. You got the math nerds saying anything which isn't logical is a bludge, and you got you guys saying that everything logical is shit.

To have a well rounded education, i think we need both.
..i didn't say that everything logical is shit, i think u misunderstood me. i said high school science for a reason. a lot of my friends are doing science at uni now and from what i hear it's a lot more enriching (is that a word) and itneresting than high school science, which became a load of shit when they introduced syllabus-teaching

that's just my humble opinion.

i agree that we need both too, but in junior high school and then senior high school and university is when you start thinking about your own interests and strengths

Giant Lobster

HSC
i am guilty of choosing ext2 english purely for the scaling. i hate english. i hate it with a passion. but im greedy and im not doing too shabby in english, so thats why i chose it. if it gets too hard and i suffer as a result, in principle it serves me right. :)

and for the record, yes, everything which isn't logical is a bludge :p

narrator

HSC
N/A
i chose it because i had always intended to do it, how could you choose it only for the scaling Giant Lobster?

by the way, i'm interested, if you hate english so much, how did your work turn out?

Saul

*ss
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
..i didn't say that everything logical is shit, i think u misunderstood me. i said high school science for a reason. a lot of my friends are doing science at uni now and from what i hear it's a lot more enriching (is that a word) and itneresting than high school science, which became a load of shit when they introduced syllabus-teaching

that's just my humble opinion.

i agree that we need both too, but in junior high school and then senior high school and university is when you start thinking about your own interests and strengths
i agree with you, high school science is horrible, really really bad. but then again, so is high school english. You can get bout 80% in 4 unit english without being able to write anything even remotely creative, sheerly from interal assessments/reflection statement. It's the same with science, you dont have to actually be any good at it, as long as you can remember the fucking political views of einstein. (i fucking fucking hate physics) But math, math is a great subject, the only one which is true to what it should be.

Therefore, to get a well rounded education, at high school, an education that is needed for uni, we should all be doing combination of science and english. (although they're both shit)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)