Why do Asians have an aversion to age? (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Is it just my Asian friends or do most Asians tend to share a disdain for any films older than 10 or so years? Whenever I suggest an 'older' movie when we watch a .. nevermind your classic section Casablanca or M, but even the relatively recent Goodfellas, or Top Gun, they'd scoff at my choice and outvote me in favour of a new release. I was watching 'Heat' the other day when a couple of friends dropped by, and the first question I was asked was: "Is that old?". 'Heat' for those of you unfamiliar with the title was made in 1995.

I've asked my friends about this, so I do have some idea of the reasons behind their prejudices, but I found their reasoning rather perplexing. Can anyone help me out there? :p

HSC
Maybe it's a Chinese thing where their communist parents decided that because they were deprived of art, that their children must watch films from the 1950s that they missed out on...? I'm aware of the scathing generalisations i'm making, but who knows, really?
I always thought that asians have more of an aversion to films, preferring to watch soapies.
I think most 'kids' our age are all into the multi-million blockbusters.

It's a pity, really. Most of what is out there right now is absolute crap.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Krangelus said:
thats fuckin racist
Nah. I might be a bit confused in my reasoning sometimes, but not so much so that I'm racist against my own race.

It's just an observation. I posted it because I find my friends dismissing movies based on their age a bit frustrating.

santaslayer

HSC
Maybe becuase we are more updated and like to follow trends. Countries like Australia lag behind the rest of the world when it comes to trends. (It's an observation, not a something intended to offend).
We will watch old films once they becomes trendy to do so. :)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
I like old films..:eek:

I keep watching all the old hk gangster films of the 90's and the gambling god films of the 90's because i love them and they are always on cable...

Maybe your friends just don't like seeing movies they have seen before?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Nope, it's usually something to do with:

A. Technology- i.e. images in new movies are crisper, better special effects
B. Unable to take old/black and white films seriously.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
Yeh top gun was an awesome movie!

Maybe it's just because your particular asian friends thinks it's dorky to watch old movies and think that they're too 'cool' for it. :)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
A lot of Chinese people tend to be so caught up in consuming and thinking about themselves that they become superifical, trend-chasing twits. The only thing they want is what is new, modern and exclusive (eg. mobiles). All they seek is status and prestige. Just think about how the Chinese government is demolishing ancient heritage-listed suburban homes in Beijing to make way for the Olympic Games.

So it comes to me as no surprise. But I think that the more westernised you become, the more you appreciate the old, the classic. The unique.

My little rant hehehe

PS. Btw I am Chinese so I can speak with impunity

funniboi

HSC
nothing wrong with old movies. most of them are better then the new ones anyway.

santaslayer

HSC
§eraphim said:
A lot of Chinese people tend to be so caught up in consuming and thinking about themselves that they become superifical, trend-chasing twits. The only thing they want is what is new, modern and exclusive (eg. mobiles). All they seek is status and prestige. Just think about how the Chinese government is demolishing ancient heritage-listed suburban homes in Beijing to make way for the Olympic Games.

So it comes to me as no surprise. But I think that the more westernised you become, the more you appreciate the old, the classic. The unique.

My little rant hehehe

PS. Btw I am Chinese so I can speak with impunity
That whole paragraph has so many things wrong with it.

The WEST were the ones that brought the whole idea of CONSUMPTION to the EAST. We were the ones that followed the western notion of consumption and trend chasing. So how in the hell do you become more appreciative of the 'old, classic, the unique' as you become more 'westernised'?????

You make it sound like it's a good thing to become more 'westernised'.

No, you don't speak with impunity just because you're Chinese. That's such a lame excuse to cover up your potential mistakes. What happens is that your mistakes actually give others an excuse to flame you with more conviction because you ARE Chinese.

EDIT: The government's plan to demolish heritage homes is a government policy, not a representation on Chinese beliefs.

nwatts

HSC
Krangelus said:
thats fuckin racist
Umm.. I think Benny is asian. Silly.

On the topic at hand, I have one good asian friend who isn't scared of trying things new... so it could just be the crowd you're in with. :)

Most people just don't want to extend themselves out of their comfort zone. I don't think it's exclusive to asians. I have stacks of friends that grimace at the idea of watching The Godfather or The Third Man (two older films in my collection). Give them something crappy and new, and they'll jump at it.

nwatts

HSC
santaslayer said:
Yeah, except he seems like he has problems with being one.
I see.

Does this mean he's not then allowed to express his views?

Some wanker on ACA last night was blabbing on about white supremacy. He was allowed a public forum. Not Benny?

santaslayer

HSC
nwatts said:
I see.

Does this mean he's not then allowed to express his views?

Some wanker on ACA last night was blabbing on about white supremacy. He was allowed a public forum. Not Benny?
Am I stopping him?

Talk about going off topic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)