Why do people always go on about pages written? (1 Viewer)

thommy

HSC
N/A
Those who go on about seem to be those who write so many pages, but like 5-6 words per line. I didn't use any extra booklets in either English exam, except Journey essay, 8.5 pages, but my handwriting is like 9-11 words per line. That accumulates to many less pages than people with the 5-6 per line pages.

Lordie

HSC
Also, pages written doesn't mean much. It's the content that matters. Questions should revolve more around, "How many themes did you discuss?" Or, "How much did you speak about the context?" Or, "How well did you answer the question?" Heh.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Lordie said:
Also, pages written doesn't mean much. It's the content that matters. Questions should revolve more around, "How many themes did you discuss?" Or, "How much did you speak about the context?" Or, "How well did you answer the question?" Heh.
I agree.

ctrlaltv

HSC
page count doesnt matter. i only did 4.5 pages for each section, and fit about 10-15 words per line. like lordie said, its the content that matters and relevance to question.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
It happens every year, people come onto BOS following the exam and brag about how many pages written and compare it to others as some kind of level of performance or how they match up. I wouldn't worry about it, they give you the recommended/amount of booklets they want/expect to be used so if that's all you used then good. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's not even about how much you write. As long as the content is there. I'm a comparatively slow writer, but what I get down is succinct and effective. And generally, I get top marks.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
thommy said:
Those who go on about seem to be those who write so many pages, but like 5-6 words per line. I didn't use any extra booklets in either English exam, except Journey essay, 8.5 pages, but my handwriting is like 9-11 words per line. That accumulates to many less pages than people with the 5-6 per line pages.
You kinda contradict yourself there by telling us how many pages you wrote

bao28

HSC
"Quality over Quantity"

It is true to a certain extent the accuracy provided in this statement is true

however pages written does matter, first things first, they dont CARE how small you write or how BIG you write, if you wrote 3 pages, you get thrown to "the retards who wrote 3 pages" in comparison to "those who wrote 8 pages"

i only wrote 2 lines in this, yet cuz i wrote so BIG it looks like its a bigger post

edit: also my fucken retarded english teacher, well the retarded english teacher of next door, i wrote 4 pages in my essay, 4 A4 8mm line pages for a written essay, in really small font and that bitch runs in our class having a lil QQ going you need to write more pages, for your hsc you need to do 6~ resulting in my gigantic increase in size during my hsc for my tests

Last edited:

m000

HSC
N/A
I agree with this thread.
If would be unfair to give extra marks for information that is irrelevant to the question even if it is fantastic.
If English is all about regurgitating everything you know then I will be very disappointed... who can't memorise and essay and transfer it onto booklets?

bao28

HSC
m000 said:
I agree with this thread.
If would be unfair to give extra marks for information that is irrelevant to the question even if it is fantastic.
If English is all about regurgitating everything you know then I will be very disappointed... who can't memorise and essay and transfer it onto booklets?
that would be because you are suppose to throw in that extra information and RELATE it to the topic question, ENGLISH is about regurgitating everything you know, you NEED to memorise it in order to adapt it to the question, even if it doesnt make sense just write some random bullshit to make it link

harryboyles

HSC
The reason why comparing pages written is easier compared to the quality of the arguments is that pages written is a quantitative measure. Quality is exactly that, a qualitative measure. It's much easier to compare 1 or 2 digits, than it is to compare how strong a response is.

ccc123

HSC
thommy said:
I agree. Like, the first thing people ask me is not 'how did you find it' but 'how much did you write?' as if they are one and the same. Just because you wrote '13 pages for each question' it doesnt mean you wrote a strong response. People seem to think that the amount you write is indicative of how well you did, when the number of pages will vary depending on the size of your handwriting and style.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Shes talking out of her arse. 8 pages of good shit is better than 14 pages of bad shit.

snowconesyum

HSC
i agree with the quality over quantity, definitely!

however i've found over the years that when i write small and so only use about 4 pages, the teachers automatically subconsciously think "brief response" and mention that in their comments, so i purposefully made my handwriting bigger, just to please them. yes it's the quality of what u write but at the same time a quality response that seems to take up 7/8 pages beats a quality response that's half that size i reckon ;) same amount of actual writing still being written though! works well :)

munchiecrunchie

HSC
snowconesyum said:
i agree with the quality over quantity, definitely!

however i've found over the years that when i write small and so only use about 4 pages, the teachers automatically subconsciously think "brief response" and mention that in their comments, so i purposefully made my handwriting bigger, just to please them. yes it's the quality of what u write but at the same time a quality response that seems to take up 7/8 pages beats a quality response that's half that size i reckon ;) same amount of actual writing still being written though! works well :)

Teachers at my school actually tell us that you have to go past the staples in the writing booklets, otherwise the marker thinks you only have a limited knowledge.

However I too agree that its quality over quantity . . . I think one booklet is more than enough to write a band 6 response.

henry08

HSC
N/A
i write on the whole page including the bottom bit without lines.

charlesdinio

HSC
thommy said:
They have too many essays to mark.. do you ACTUALLY think they mark them?

Quantity > quality anyday for english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)