Why do people always go on about pages written? (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
they'll read ur introduction ... count how many pages u wrote .. read the conclusion ,,... finish and give u a mark
lol

henry08

HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
they'll read ur introduction ... count how many pages u wrote .. read the conclusion ,,... finish and give u a mark
lol
lol. English teacher basically said the same thing.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
midifile said:
You kinda contradict yourself there by telling us how many pages you wrote
I was about to say the same, but you beat me to it.:p

nrs1990

HSC
jaggy snake said:
Our teacher told us we needed to go into the second booklet for each essay to get a band 6... could comeone please tell me she's talking out of her arse?
No, it doesn't matter. My teachers said that around 1000 words is good, although it's always quality not quantity (though it's harder to say everything you need to say if you don't write much). How many booklet pages that's equivilent to depends a lot on your handwriting. I (just) went into a second booklet for modules A and C, but that's only because my handwriting is massive. If I wrote exactly the same essay, but with smaller handwriting, it's not going to affect the content, and thus shouldn't influence my mark.

advanced sam

HSC
N/A
jaggy snake said:
Our teacher told us we needed to go into the second booklet for each essay to get a band 6...?
id like to see her write a fricken essay in 40 minutes, and then another two straight after.. yeah right

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Lordie said:
Also, pages written doesn't mean much. It's the content that matters. Questions should revolve more around, "How many themes did you discuss?" Or, "How much did you speak about the context?" Or, "How well did you answer the question?" Heh.
Nonetheless, the ammount of pages written still acts as a good general indicator of the quality of the essay - based on the theory that a student who knows a lot about their thesis, understands it well, and has a strong argument, will write more than a student who only knows a little bit, has a weak argument, or hasnt studied the relevant text very well.

I assure you staistically, that 12 page essay will almost always recieve more marks than a 4 page essay.

D.White

Banned
HSC
I didn't read any other comments, but I doubt they say the right thing.

It is all about ego, in compensation for a lack of a certain thing, or the smallness of another.

C

celeste111

berger69 said:
no one here u thinks a longer essay is a better essay is intelligent

no one cares about chicks who write 2 whole booklets, with 3 words to a line

it looks ridiculous, and let me tell u something sunshines- it doenst fool anyone
That's not true. We write so much more than that.

lucidassembly

HSC
Not to mention, a large majority of the exemplar answers are about 5 1/2 pages long. As long as you've covered everything, the length really doesn't matter too much.

kelsey91

HSC
Well I like to think that the markers aren't just going to judge on the number of pages - I wrote five pages for each essay today but I have about fifteen or sixteen words to a line.

Bloody hell though, those kids at the end smugly tying together their eighteen hundred booklets with string as the rest of us held up our three.
Bahahah. Guilt trip much?

Garygaz

HSC
Markers don't give a shit about length

BE HONEST, put yourself in a markers position, which do you prefer? The person who rambles on for 15 pages, flooding you with ridiculous amounts of techniques/themes or the person who does it succinctly in 6-8 pages, bearing in mind you've been marking papers FOR HOURS!

To all of you who go by the way of writing ridiculous amounts, read the exemplar responses, most are 6-8 pages.

/thread

kooltrainer

HSC
Garygaz said:
Markers don't give a shit about length

BE HONEST, put yourself in a markers position, which do you prefer? The person who rambles on for 15 pages, flooding you with ridiculous amounts of techniques/themes or the person who does it succinctly in 6-8 pages, bearing in mind you've been marking papers FOR HOURS!

To all of you who go by the way of writing ridiculous amounts, read the exemplar responses, most are 6-8 pages.

/thread
yes think about it.. the teachers have been marking for hours.. Do u think they'll bother.. They'll read into n conclusion and count how many pages u write ..

Writing more pages does not mean the essay is not succinct.
There'l at least be some markers who think quantity >quality, and yes he/she'll be marking ur essay

:p

thommy

HSC
N/A
midifile said:
You kinda contradict yourself there by telling us how many pages you wrote
Not really. What I'm doing is pointing out that I wrote a certain amount of pages, which would be about 3-4 less than people with big handwriting. People always go on sheer number of pages, when this is very misleading.

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
Lordie said:
Also, pages written doesn't mean much. It's the content that matters. Questions should revolve more around, "How many themes did you discuss?" Or, "How much did you speak about the context?" Or, "How well did you answer the question?" Heh.
Yea agree
even though i did write a lot- i only did because i had alot to say...

MOD A- Malouf/ Wordsworth
Concept in prepared answer nearly exactly teh same so easy to adapt n the quote i added about 4 times reworded throughout so think i got it in pretty well.

Started with malouf and discussed how underpinning his texts was hi sinterest in events that shaped and reshaped audtralias idenity in particular the first settlers, migrants and aboriginals. Then went on and discussed malouf text then compared it to wordsworth and wrote how they have differeing interpretations of the wild due to tehir contexts. WW poem was next and established his romantic background then i again juxtaposed it to Malouf who presented spiritual connections with teh wild as important rather than god unlike WW, then lastly contrated it to ww Tintern Abbey.

All trhoughout my conecpt of how interactiosn with teh wild restore idenity was conveyed

MOD B- SPEECHES
Question was great talked about teh universal theme of Unity so that linked with question of memorable ideas.

Rhetorical devices were easier as my teacher really focused on them.
'
Started with Lincoln and then compared to Levetov- major links were through both appealing to countries divided by war, levertov extending on lincolns enlightening message of unity providing the audiences with solutions etc...

MOD C- Ant N Cleo
Question again was easy to adapt as concept was teh complexities of interplays of power lead to dangerous consequences so i already had heaps of the key words in there.

Talked about how composers

contruct... to .....represent.... which.... positions teh audience

Used Porphyria's Lover as ORM- worked perfectly- had Elizabeth prepared but was thanking BOS when they asked for only 1 ORM!!!

Linked texts conceptual mainly but had a few action links aswell

If anyone wants to have a look at my essays just email me

samwell

HSC
ctrlaltv said:
page count doesnt matter. i only did 4.5 pages for each section, and fit about 10-15 words per line. like lordie said, its the content that matters and relevance to question.
Considering that its 10 words a line that will be good.
I think markers are more inclined to answers that are detailled but concise and straight to the point. Quality>Quantity in terms of markers. Quantity will show a good knowledge of content(if you answer the question and provide enough evidence). So i think a person who can answer effectively in a short space and time will be more likely to get a band 6 than a guy who writes alot and does not answer the question.
Quantity is only important if u r the type of person whose quality lies in detail and description. So quantity can be important for some people to express their analysis in the most effective manner.

akadaka22

HSC
i wrote 71 pages all up for the 4 hours of exams in english (not lieing) and i write 8 - 10 words a line wheater or not it matters like who cares its what u write but 2 an extent ur giving urself and the marker more reason 2 go this guy is trying harder than the ppl writing 3 - 5 pages an essay

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
akadaka22 said:
i wrote 71 pages all up for the 4 hours of exams in english (not lieing) and i write 8 - 10 words a line wheater or not it matters like who cares its what u write but 2 an extent ur giving urself and the marker more reason 2 go this guy is trying harder than the ppl writing 3 - 5 pages an essay
yep i also agree with you

n i also wrote 70+ pages and believe i wrote that much cause i was fast and had more to say

akadaka22

HSC
the people that keep saying page/word count doesnt matter are idiots because u simply cant get high A responses without them think about it most of the kids that do well write HEAPS also lets realistically think about something how many A rage responses would their be for a 5 page response then compare it to a 7- 8 page response we all know the 7-8 page responses will its silly if u dont write enough ur not gonna do aswell and unfortunetly thats unfair coz some ppl can write quicker and even on that note neater yet according 2 my modern history teacher who was Senior Examiner For Modern History for like 5 years said if your not writing 8 page essays dont expect anything more than 22 -23 because its all the kids that are writing 8+ pages that are getting high a range

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)