Why do people hate religion? (1 Viewer)

HSC
because they dont believe in god, its quite obvious that whatever religion you follow you should be following its specific rules and regulations , and there are some people who do not wish to abide by rules so they just dont believe in that religion

also most religions, are the total opposite of those that believe in the scientific reasons of creation etc and many people that dislike religion dislike it becuase they believe in the scientific theories rather then religious theories

some people do not believe in god therefore find that practically all religions are wrong, while others believe that when they get "evidence" of there being a god then they will/may believe, some believe that there is no "higher" force, supernatural force whatever you want to call it...

i know some people who have, changed religions/dont believe in religion anymore, to suit their lifestyle

i know my teacher used to believe in god then she stopped when her brother died at a young age...some may find this not good enough reason but it just depends on how you think, act etc ...

anyways thats what i believe but in the end everyone has there own oppinion :eek:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
its quite obvious that whatever religion you follow you should be following its specific rules and regulations , and there are some people who do not wish to abide by rules so they just dont believe in that religion
I don't think that's ever true. If you actually did believe that the god existed and that disobeying him would mean hellfire for eternity, you'd follow the rules even if u didn't like them (to an extent, I don't like to think I'd go on murderous rampages for God if he threatened me, but hey then again, he's God).

i know some people who have, changed religions/dont believe in religion anymore, to suit their lifestyle
They never really believed, or they stopped believing before they changed their lifestyle. You can't just force yourself to stop believing something is true.

i know my teacher used to believe in god then she stopped when her brother died at a young age...some may find this not good enough reason but it just depends on how you think, act etc ...
Again, I doubt she ever really did believe in God if a tragic event made her stop. Unless her conceptualization of God was 'one who only lets good things happen'.

HSC
most that do change their religions change it coz they want something to suit them and becuase they were born with the reiligion ...they didnt choose to be in it so yeah

also i knw people that did believe in their religion but didnt want to follow coz it was too "strict"

umm she did believe in god but stoped coz she thought that her brother did nothing wrong and that he didnt deserve to die and she blamed god then thought that if there was a gid then her brother wouldnt have died -thats what she told me anyways

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
disclaimer: my view follows.

The idea isn't to try find a religion that aligns with your set of values, rather to change your values to align with what you believe to be true, in my case, the God of the bible. Of course, this will never be achieved in this life, hence why you see so many hypocrites, but we're all hypocrites in one way or another. That's where Jesus comes in.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
most that do change their religions change it coz they want something to suit them and becuase they were born with the reiligion ...they didnt choose to be in it so yeah
Well then they never really believed.

also i knw people that did believe in their religion but didnt want to follow coz it was too "strict"
They didn't really believe.

umm she did believe in god but stoped coz she thought that her brother did nothing wrong and that he didnt deserve to die and she blamed god then thought that if there was a gid then her brother wouldnt have died -thats what she told me anyways

HSC
Aznpsycho said:
'Hate' is a bit of a misnomer - and opens up the inevitable strawman flingin' of "hurr, hypocritical intolerant atheist lol" and the strawman counterfling of "hurr, mindless superstitious dummy lol".

I'll try to compress my aversion to religions and any non-rationalist ideology in several relatively concise and coherent points.

Too many mutually exclusive and inconsistent religions out there

Lets not try and fall into the eurocentric trap of assuming that Judeo-Christianity is the end all and be all of religion....

So, there we have it folks. Thank the good lord that it's Sunday tomorrow, so that I can sleep in. Note that my post has been steadily getting more incomprehensible, as a function of distance down the page. Thank you, and Good Night!
(Thought I'd cut it so not to repeat the whole thing again)
But I like this!

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Please don't do that - I'm simply asking to be taken out of context.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Because of things happening like these, people hate religion:

Muslims have reacted angrily to remarks made by Pope Benedict on Islam and many of them said the Catholic leader should apologise in person to dispel the impression he had joined a campaign against their religion.

The furore prompted several thousand flag-waving Palestinians to march in the Gaza Strip in protest against the Pope's comments.

"This is another Crusader war against the Arab and Muslim world," said Hamas official Ismail Radwan as he addressed some 5000 chanting demonstrators.

Pakistan's National Assembly, parliament's lower house, unanimously passed a resolution condemning the Pope's comments.

In a speech in Germany on Tuesday, the Pope appeared to endorse a Christian view, contested by most Muslims, that the early Muslims spread their religion by violence.

The 57-nation Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the world's largest Muslim body, said quotations used by the Pope represented a "character assassination of the Prophet Mohammad" and a "smear campaign".

"The OIC hopes that this campaign is not the prelude of a new Vatican policy towards Islam ... The OIC also hopes that the Vatican will issue statements that reflect its true position and views on Islam and Islamic teachings," it said.

The Pope on Tuesday repeated criticism of the Prophet Mohammad by the 14th century Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Palaeologus, who said everything Mohammad brought was evil "such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached".

The Pope, who used the terms "jihad" and "holy war" in his lecture, added "violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20421652-2,00.html

robbie1

HSC
Nothing the Pope said is untrue. Muslims are always crying foul about something...whats new?

HSC
do you even know what islam is about? no you dont so dont go around stating stupid comments

also what he said was untrue and it just shows how much he actually knows about other religions [nothing]

dilroy

HSC
Christianity has become more like a multi-national corporation rather than a religion. That poofter (aka the Pope) is going to come to Australia in 2008 for that Christian youth day bullshit, the real reason he is coming to Australia is because a lot of Australians are losing faith in God. This proves that the Pope is just a valuable marketing object for Christians.
It's main objective is to preach the word of the Lord to as many people as possible and dominate it. It's major conquest was during the exploration period.

Islam... oh boy don't get me started with Islam... nuff said... I love my pork chops too much to even want to consider joining this one. Islam needs to seriously be reconstructed to adapt with the modern world (similar to what Christianity is doing), it's pretty ridiculous right now.

From my impressions Hinduism seems to be ok, it's just that it has become somewhat outdated with the modern world... and you can't eat beef, so it's suicide to me.

Bhuddism seems fine... doesn't get enough media attention to bag out so yeah.

For me there is no need to believe in a God or whatever, I'm just enjoying my life as it is, of course I have my own morals (or just using my common sense) to follow. When you read a novel you don't flick to the back of the page to read the ending or when you watch a film you don't fast forward it to the end to find out who's the bad guy, you keep watching it and enjoy the experience along the way. That's the way I approach life, I'll sort things out when I actually do die, I mean if I don't believe in hell, as in it doesn't exist, than I won't go to hell right?

I hope I have offended as many people as possible. *Puts up flame shield*

HSC
the quran is the words of god therefor wont change...so in the end islam aint changing even if all religions change

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
Because of things happening like these, people hate religion:

Muslims have reacted angrily to remarks made by Pope Benedict on Islam and many of them said the Catholic leader should apologise in person to dispel the impression he had joined a campaign against their religion.

The furore prompted several thousand flag-waving Palestinians to march in the Gaza Strip in protest against the Pope's comments.

"This is another Crusader war against the Arab and Muslim world," said Hamas official Ismail Radwan as he addressed some 5000 chanting demonstrators.

Pakistan's National Assembly, parliament's lower house, unanimously passed a resolution condemning the Pope's comments.

In a speech in Germany on Tuesday, the Pope appeared to endorse a Christian view, contested by most Muslims, that the early Muslims spread their religion by violence.

The 57-nation Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the world's largest Muslim body, said quotations used by the Pope represented a "character assassination of the Prophet Mohammad" and a "smear campaign".

"The OIC hopes that this campaign is not the prelude of a new Vatican policy towards Islam ... The OIC also hopes that the Vatican will issue statements that reflect its true position and views on Islam and Islamic teachings," it said.

The Pope on Tuesday repeated criticism of the Prophet Mohammad by the 14th century Byzantine Emperor Manuel II Palaeologus, who said everything Mohammad brought was evil "such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached".

The Pope, who used the terms "jihad" and "holy war" in his lecture, added "violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20421652-2,00.html
what hypocrisy.....as if early christianity was not spread in the same way. If my history serves me right christianity was very much spread through violence, war and eventually submission between christian rulers and non-christian tribal groups in europe.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i don't HATE religion - i just don't find it applicable to my own life, personally. i believe in the existence of God and Jesus, in a not very committed way, and thus although i dont go in for any sort of organised religion, period, i call myself a Christian. But this is really quite innaccurate for me - summing it up, i believe in God, i believe in Jesus (as far as that i believe he existed, the rest of it, no way), and pretty much nothing else concerning the Christian religion. When i can be bothered i make an effort to at least try and follow the ten commandments, etc, but i honestly have absolutely no real commitment to Christianity at all. my belief (and i reckon it wud be this way for a lot of people) only comes form the fact i was brought up this way - my family is not particularly religious; as long as you believe those basic things i mentioned and try to be a decent person overall, you're set, in their eyes. i think people hate religion because of the conflicts it can cause, and the fact that it tends to cause more than it solves, and when religion is used to solve conflicts it usually gets violent, which ironically is something most religions i know about dont like. it all just gets very complicated and irritating and people start forgetting why they have their faith in the first place and then there's conflict withing religions, different ways of worship, different interpretations of texts, bla bla bla...no wonder some people just say 'fuck it, im atheist'.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
the quran is the words of god therefor wont change...so in the end islam aint changing even if all religions change
The word of god :rofl:

Those who failed to adapt to the needs of the time will face extinction. Just like Dinasaurs you may be big, powerful at times but hey time wont wait :uhoh:

robbie1

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
the quran is the words of god
The quran is also where terrorists get their justification for killing innocent people.

L

littlewing69

Aryanbeauty said:
The word of god :rofl:

Those who failed to adapt to the needs of the time will face extinction. Just like Dinasaurs you may be big, powerful at times but hey time wont wait :uhoh:
Your sig, picture and name make you sound like a douche. Am I wrong?

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Robbie, don't act as if Christianity has a monopoly on moral and ethical goodness.

The crusades were not solely motivated by religious zeal, but also by good ol' greed (Gold!) and fear of the heathen (back then, the Arab world was the centre of knowledge and civilisation, and Europe was the place willed with dirty barbarians and plague). Don't forget the sacking of Constantinople (Christians raping Christians).

The point of this post is that Islam does not have a monopoly on arbitrary violence, and Christianity does not have a monopoly on goodness. This should not be interpreted as pissy moral relativism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)