Why do people hate religion? (1 Viewer)

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
This thread does absolutely nothing to help me dispel my cynical notions of the religions in general. I guess my problem is a lack of intelligent religious figures in real life, who are capable debating calmly with others and be able to both question and support their beliefs using non-circular logic. While there are some, there are not enough, and my support for any non-rationalist ideology is going to suffer.

phatic

HSC
VollDoggy said:
People commonly dont have a religion these days, this thread is for all the athiests, existentialists and people who are religion confused, why don't you have a religion? Religious people? No time? Being pressured by religious people?

When i talk about religion here i mean the relationship with God or Buddah or whatever/whoever people choose to worship, not the whole go to church, get baptised, take communion, get circumcised, have a bar mitzvah, go on a crusade or whatever activities churches tell you to do thats not directly related to a relationship with "the one" as the matrix so nicely puts it

I appologise if this thread offends anyone by not including the one they worship, not in capitals, incorrect spelling etc.
The flaws in organised religion that are so often highlighted by its opponents seem to be enough to also discourage people from having any sort of relationship with God.

Other than this, there's more than enough in T.S. Eliot's 'Choruses from The Rock' to cover the general lack of religiosity in our modern life.

Jessca

HSC
i think you reply to "Why do people hate religion" is very valid.

Thank-you for sharing it!

punkoohi

HSC
the one thing i hate about religion is the little (what i think to be, stupid) rules!! yesterday i was tlaking to my friend about religion, and he said something like "you have to be infront of a cross, or have a cross with you when you pray" something like that, and that, thats why people where crosses around their necks!! THATS SOOO RIDICULOUS, whether its true or not.. i hateee that stuff, or i hate when people CLAIM to be one religion, yet dont practise it, and then they are all like "im going to get married in a church" (christianity).. WELL HOW SIGNIFICANT IS A CHURCH FOR YOU!!!! a park could have mroe religious meaning, it doesnt HAVE to be a Church...

i don't really know what i believe now, however, i don't like institutionalised religion, and the social laws which come with it... i do not like how people TELL US to do things, and basicaly, i want facts... think about it, you could get out a piece of paper now, and in fancy writing, make up your own religion, and CLAIm that God told you to write it... in 2000 years, it is (very) possible (i think) that someone may come across it, have no idea of who you are and believe it, ... and then VWALLAH!!! THERES A NEW RELIGION!!! The bible (i think) is all historiography... people wrote it, the accounts of the same stroies are different, and they could very well be bias, as they usually are.. for all we know, a crazy eprson could have written it... we don't know

that is the issue, we DON'T know, and i do believe it is a matter or faith (i use to be incredibly religious---then i got older and started to question), however, personally, it is easier for me not to have faith, and not to believe in a religion... as someone said, i could do things without feeling guilty, i could live by my own rules, i could believe what i want, compeltely free will... im sure as i get older ill change, but right now (im 16), this is how i feel...

Xana

HSC
it is the number one cause of wars, and breeds ignorance and intolerance, i see no other reason necessary to hate it, it can work, but it rarely does.

phatic

HSC
I wonder if the thread shouldn't be called "Why do people hate God (or Allah)?"

It seems more appropriate to the OP's idea, and may limit digressions into hatred of organised religion.

Legham

HSC
I hate religion because people believing in such bullshit enrages me! end of story.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
As opposed to blindly believing your form of bullshit whilst denying the clear evidence against it, in truth athiesm probably requires more faith than thiest religions, and why is it that so many famous athiests like Voltaire rush to be converted to christianity when they're on the thier deathbeds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
How exactly does the Cambrian explosion either disprove evolution or prove the existence of a divine entity? :confused:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
How exactly does the Cambrian explosion either disprove evolution or prove the existence of a divine entity? :confused:
It proves that things appeared into existance without an evolutionary process, I am yet to find an athiest that denies evolution, thus evolution is a process of belief for athiests, akin the the christian explanation for life.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bshoc said:
It proves that things appeared into existance without an evolutionary process, I am yet to find an athiest that denies evolution, thus evolution is a process of belief for athiests, akin the the christian explanation for life.
Bear in mind that to support any proposition, having a gap in evidence is better than an absence of any evidence. From the Cambrian explosion to the present, there is evidence of evolutionary process. I don't think there's any credible evidence at all of the existence of god, beyond the fact that there are thing at present that we cannot yet explain. But then again human knowledge keeps moving forward.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
Bear in mind that to support any proposition, having a gap in evidence is better than an absence of any evidence. From the Cambrian explosion to the present, there is evidence of evolutionary process. I don't think there's any credible evidence at all of the existence of god, beyond the fact that there are thing at present that we cannot yet explain. But then again human knowledge keeps moving forward.
There is only one credible explanation for how millions of multi-cellular organisms can appear without a process of evolution, the cambrian era is just one example however, the Chinese fossil bed would be another.

lara_austin

HSC
People do not necessarily hate religion, they simply do not understand it. People fear what they do not understand.

I am atheist, by choice. I beleive that as individuals we should be able to chose our path and i do not like the idea that everything that happens is pre-ordained by some power. It takes personal responsibilty away from the individual, which is just plain dangerous.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bshoc said:
There is only one credible explanation for how millions of multi-cellular organisms can appear without a process of evolution, the cambrian era is just one example however, the Chinese fossil bed would be another.
The credible explanation being that science is unable to explain the phenomenon at this point in time, not that a particular supernatural force which we have no other evidence of existing must have created the millions of organisms.

What we do not understand should not be equated with what is "supernatural", since the bounds of what we do understand is constantly expanding.

Last edited:
In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC
Legham said:
I hate religion because people believing in such bullshit enrages me! end of story.
It may seem to be "Bull" to the feeble minded. However, religion is quite complicated, true and unique. It may be difficult for you to believe that there is a creator to this universe, because of its implications. But, assuming that there is no creator is quite an inferior way of thinking and proof of idiocy, misunderstanding or heracy.

You hate religion because you think they don't understand, I hate religion because people follow it incorrectly. An example is in catholics, believing they can get away with any sin so long as they confess to it. The point is that lieing is the doorway to all sin, yet this point is now lost.

-End

HotShot

-_-
HSC
lara_austin said:
People do not necessarily hate religion, they simply do not understand it. People fear what they do not understand.

I am atheist, by choice. I beleive that as individuals we should be able to chose our path and i do not like the idea that everything that happens is pre-ordained by some power. It takes personal responsibilty away from the individual, which is just plain dangerous.
thats a common misbelief what makes u think ur life is preordained? just cos someone created something doesnt necessarily mean they have control over it. IF it was possible to create a human being it is not necessary to have total control over it.

The notion of god exists i believe to help us to be guided towards sucesses. You take the good things and leave out the bad things just liek anything else in life.

drunkontea

HSC
First of all I would like to start with a quote from the great Bill Hicks:
"I appreciate your quiant superstitions and shit, but I deal solely with the source of light that exists in all of our own minds, no middle man required."

I would seperate 'religion' from 'religious institutions' ie churches.

I dont have a problem with people believing in a divine force. Believing in a devine force doesnt mean you have to follow a church and be a sheep. You just think for yourself and do what is right because it is the human thing to do.

But with religious institutions there are some people who follow it for the wrong reasons. They do what their church defines as 'right' purely because of fear of punishment in the afterlife. In other instances they are hyprocrits. Like recently when the pope quoted from the medieval text about islam being spread through violence, what about christianity's history (the witch hunts, spanish inquisition, crusades). And it just shows how backward the church is in using information from a 14th century text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)